• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First time posting in this thread so be gentle!

Yesterday I made this bracket-shaped hook based on one I saw on Torbjorn Ahman's website. I was going off my (admittedly questionable) memory so it's not an exact copy, but not bad for a first go. I put it up in my garage so I don't have to inflict it on anyone else.

IMG_1179.thumb.jpg.b201c1ce8ccca1ae8e2f2d7b93ef367d.jpg

These were over the last day or two.

No particular goal in mind except to enjoy myself. Taking a couple of twists made from round and square bar then making my first basket twists. 

Then just practice drawing out a taper and trying different twists and a knot.

Most everything was going pretty well until near the end of the knot.
I guess I was flipping it around too much and it broke at a cube twist. 

I am also practicing drawing out tapers on round bar and making leaves so I can make some curtain rod holders. They are still ugly so not much point in posting them.

Suggestions for improvement are always welcome. 

20181231_125116.jpg

20181230_165932.jpg

20181231_115548.jpg

20181231_125118.jpg

20181231_125125.jpg

20181231_125120.jpg

Made a “John 15:5 cross” for my sister-in-law’s (belated) Christmas present.

B4359248-647C-40BF-99CE-7C3961DAF2A3.jpeg

A ram’s-head shoehorn for my son, who insists on jamming his feet into his shoes (and likes rams). 

486BEA3B-9463-43BE-B3CD-76F74CC81BF6.jpeg

First ram’s head; the next will be better  

46EC957C-BA91-4B47-B558-341C76D18AD6.jpeg

And finished up a new shovel for the forge, which works great. 

4DFDDD93-C0CA-446F-8DD4-C90E9536BE36.jpeg

Also finished the forging parts of my flatter project, but that’s currently annealing in the hot box, so no photo. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:22 PM, psacustomcreations said:

I am also practicing drawing out tapers on round bar and making leaves so I can make some curtain rod holders. They are still ugly so not much point in posting them.  Suggestions for improvement are always welcome. 

You asked for suggestions.. watch the tapers video..  and the effective use of the hammer to limit displacement videos.. 

Thanks. I was using the horn and rounding hammer as well as the near and far rounded edges of the anvil yesterday. 

I have watched your video before and it helps to understand what to do. Now I just need my hands to do what my brain is trying to tell them to do. Like, hit the metal not the anvil, or hit in that spot not this spot, hit with the hammer straight when you want it straight and angled when you want it angled. Not angled when you want it straight and vice-versa. 

The flatter project, out of the hot box and ready for cutting:

3D452BB7-694E-4274-A4B3-0F56087C6FF4.jpeg

This is one end of a 10 lb. sledgehammer head, with an eye punched and drifted and all four sides fullered down and flattened. Next steps are to cut it free just above the original eye, rough grind, heat treat, finish grind, and handle. 

John,  Ambitious projects are what I have to come to expect from you sir..  Well done.. 

A better or easier way is to make them out of a double faced 1, 2, 3 or 4lbs hammer..  Just heat up the part you want flat and smack it down.. it will make a wonderful flatter and the 1 I made in 1990 i still like brand new.. 

The lighter the weight the more effective it is for a given striking weight..  And know you have the foot hammer.. But,  for the amount of time it took to draw it sq and punch the eye, and to cut it..  :)  

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

I thought it was a large chasing tool.  but hey, paper weight it is.   I like the logo.  Self made or ordered? 

Haha thank you, yes working up to a hammer. I sit at a desk with a trouble window, so when its windy, paperwork starts flying. This works quite well. 

Gracias, I designed the logo, and buckeye engraving made the stamp. 

On 12/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, Ted Ewert said:

It certainly dresses up an otherwise ugly gate.

Hi guys!
Happy New Year everyone!

We sometimes have a lot of snow, so sliding gates are much more convenient than swing gates. Also, we usually make deaf, closed high fences.. The higher the fence, the richer the owner. On the photo Rublevskoe highway near Moscow, the most expensive place in Russia.
Some of my sliding gates.

47.jpg

48.jpg

люба тосно.jpg

1+.jpg

ворота сиверская2.jpg