I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I tested out my new welder today. I bought an Arccaptain Mig130 because I needed a light duty  welder to tack things together from time to time. I got everything out and started with the wire and I was horrible. I couldn't see the joint and the welds were all over the place. It was as ugly as a mud fence. I wear bifocals and the bottom of my glasses weren't high enough for me to see through the hood lens. After trying to prop up my glasses with paper towel under the bridge, I was just about to give up when I noticed my hood had an adjustment on the top strap which I hadn't paid attention to before. I didn't even notice there was a top strap. After adjusting it, I almost got that stack of dimes I was looking for. 100% improvement. I haven't welded in many years so there's still lots of room for improvement but now that I have everything dialed in, I'm going to work on it. That's one great little welder for the money. I'm a happy guy. 

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arthur210,  That's a real nice spoon.

Today I pinned the tongs together, and made some adjustments. I'm not satisfied with them at all.

Made another set following a video on YT.  (Thanx Jennifer) and I think they will do way better.

IMG_20231210_131923735(Copy).jpg.d6ff5803037186a674b0ab45dba2e4fd.jpg

IMG_20231210_131853123(Copy).jpg.7103db0d705fe49dc56837cd7ce5ede7.jpg

still have some tweaking to do, but I can tell already they are a vast improvement over the method i was using.  Even the rivet came out better. :D

Alexandr,  I like those "fleur de lis" brackets on the beams. That's a nice touch.  But -13c is way too cold for me.;)

2 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

Switched to no line bifocals, problem gone.

I have no-line bifocals, but my problem is that my working distance correction is between those for reading and for distance. I’ve found it’s easier simply to wear non-correcting safety glasses at the forge and under the welding hood. 

I had the same problem with my bifocals when welding, went to my Optometrist to get a new prescription. He advised me that he could write a new one, but it wouldn't help much. He said it was time to get my blacksmith cataracts fixed.

I made an appointment with the eye surgeon who fixed Debi's cataracts. He advised he would be able to correct my vision to 20/25 with lens implant's and the only time I would need cheater glasses was for fine print and very close work. He is a very experienced Ophthalmologist with over 6000 procedures to his credit.

Had them taken care of, the first eye the day after my birthday and the second one two weeks later. After a short rehabilitation, using eye drops and zero problems, I could not believe the difference. It's like my eyesight was when I was in my 30s clear as a bell and the difference in colors is amazing. I can actually see to weld and I can see the sights & target with my muzzleloaders and duty weapons without corrective glasses. The only draw back is, I have to wear safety glasses as my bifocals were safety lenses and I had them on all the time.:)

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

I have to get a better welding helmet myself, or at least a new lens for the on I have. It’s too dark and I can barely see the bead, let alone the joint I’m trying to weld.

this afternoon, I forged out a long steak flipper for my neighbor as a Christmas gift for his brother. (It good to be kind to your neighbors!):

IMG_0737.thumb.jpeg.8815367a252dd39fd5b55013f277798f.jpeg

Keep it fun,

David

I bought an inexpensive auto darkening welding mask a few years ago and you can adjust how dark it gets. A twist of the little dial and it goes from #4 to #14 shield. Coupled with the magnifying stick on and I can see pretty well, won't be passing any certification tests though. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

A;exandr, as always splendid. 

One of of co-workers has taken up woodworking. He asked about lathe tools so i made him this gouge. 

Made of 5160. Copper collar with a brass rivet. Burned the tang into the handle the epoxy filled. The handle is from a mop that was getting thrown out at work. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf03a97c2c6befc8867d9dc9a0b1b9e5.jpeg

Spent some time making tooling for a commission. First, a bending tool for pipe:

IMG_7835.thumb.jpeg.06c30c8bc2fdd7c1fe3bcc3c48286dc9.jpeg

Which works both pulling:

IMG_7837.thumb.jpeg.b50b0340aa1e5825cd2af6ff6c8238ad.jpeg

And pushing:

IMG_7839.thumb.jpeg.53196348809330d16a67c466546dbde3.jpeg

And welded up a flatter fit the fly press, to turn round pipe into oval handrail:

IMG_7841.thumb.jpeg.bc11bf8ad10fde794fb2c9ab44e30fc7.jpeg

I think I’ll use this to flatten the handle on the bending tool, for more positive alignment of the grip.