I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Generally I think that if your gas forge is warming up the shop to pleasant temps,  you may need more ventilation!  However I do like the "IR blast" from my gas forge warming up me if I am working in front of it.  For winter I have the gas forge and anvil positioned that I stand in the IR while working at the anvil. Of course winters out here...; it was in the 50's yesterday with blinding sun.  Friday it will top out in the 40's with snow after dark. Back when I used to forge outside in Ohio in sub zero (degC) temps and snow I would put a scrap piece of plywood down and stand on that to keep my feet warm.

Still waiting for a price on the pile of smithing stuff.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's -16f. right now, 7:00am. The shops been VERY quiet since temps dropped into the 20s. If I light a forge water will be dripping from the ceiling in about an hour. One of these days I'll get it insulated and paneled so the double barrel stove has a chance but it's nice in my easy chair, the wood burner in the living room keeps things nice. 

I've forged in the cold but I'm a hobbyist so there's no pressing need to burn 2x the fuel for 1/2 the product. It'd be different if I were making a living out of my shop of course. It would be nice to have a less than one minute walk as a commute though, put my on parka and gloves on, walk to the shop take them off, start a pot of coffee and pick up where I left off. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I fired up my forge for the first time in a month yesterday, only had a hour to work, but was able to make the chisel and square punch I've been needing.

Great work everyone, this is the first post I open every time I come here.

IMG_0426.jpg.0621a1bbaa9649f372f69e44ec2a94be.jpg

Thanks CGL, had an hour to work this morning and started on a fire poker, I managed to get it ready for the twists, but I was having trouble with my coal fire and didn’t get finished. Couldn’t figure out what  I was wrong so I quit before I messed up what I did get done. 

Always a good idea to stop while your ahead when things start going wonky. 

I was in the shop yesterday when a spring like storm came through. High sideways winds and hail. It was near 70 degrees. I don't know how much it rained throughout the evening and night, but it's flooded everywhere. Then woke up to this this morning. We don't get much snow, so sort of a rarity. And I nearly lost my boots in the mud. It's supposed to be back up to 70 by Monday. 

20200111_140945.jpg

Made some changes to the track anvil and its stand. On the track, I cut in a small horn and hot-cut, and on the stand, I shortened it by several inches (having initially forgotten to account for the height of the track itself), added some bracing and feet, and notched the rails to accommodate lying the stack on its side. 

98A612A7-AA01-4C13-A8ED-B3597880F935.jpeg

(I’ll add some more photos to the improvised anvils thread.)

Also had one of the students from the college come over for an intro lesson and forge his first S-hook.  

199436DC-C45C-4E4D-A451-92384A81B6CC.jpeg

I had MUCH less propane in the tanks than I thought and ran out halfway through my demo, so he got to see both propane and coal forging in one session. I’m going to pretend that was on purpose.