Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Les L. smart choice.. Looks great. 

JHCC,  you got it.. Congrats..  it all worked out. did you call them to see if they would hold it for you?  if you were closer.. i'd say come over and we can make you a few.  I carry 1/8" up to 1" in varying tooth profiles.  Looking forwards to the results. 

Everything spins nicely. The multi-tier sheave is from the drill press; I just mounted the motor with the proper size (as noted in the original manual, which I found online) aligned with the drive wheel. 

24D6E797-2C14-48FA-9506-CB93C6DD652B.jpeg

There's a crack in the slide that moves the vise jaw (more annoying than detrimental), the drive wheel is a bit out of true and vibrates (ditto), and the hydraulic cylinder probably needs to be topped off with some oil. Otherwise, everything is fine.

LaMarechal Beautiful shoe rack. 

JHCC,  if you wanted to use the larger steps of the sheave the distance between the 2 pulleys might be long enough that you can just move the belt and it will be ok.. 

in the past I used a slide pin which allowed for the motor to slide in the mounting bracket and I would just move the belt to another groove and the motor would find the correct position after a few turns of the motor. 

That is a direct gear drive?  Open gears?  If so you are going to need dry gear lube. 

CTC i'd guess the rack is to hold horseshoes while still in the boxes. 

Yes, it's open gears. The motor drives the belt, which drives the big pulley, which drives a shaft with a gear on one end, which drives the wheel, which drives the blade.

The wheels don't have tires on them, but the manual says they should. A post in the Garage Journal forum recommends four or five turns of friction tape as an inexpensive and easily replaced alternative, so I think I'll be doing that rather than spending too much on replacement tires.

1 hour ago, LeMarechal said:

Worked on my new horseshoe-shelf.

LeMarechal, that's lovely. Beautiful work.

Our son is home on leave and wanted to give working some hot steel a try. He made a pair of split crosses and a “leaf”. I think he plans on attaching some cord and giving them to his grandma before he goes back. It was nice to teach him a little of what I have learned over the last few months. 

589E52E3-7C33-41B6-A64A-E5456B894AE1.jpeg

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

A post in the Garage Journal forum recommends four or five turns of friction tape as an inexpensive and easily replaced alternative, so I think I'll be doing that rather than spending too much on replacement tires.

Addendum: on closer examination, I discover that there is a tire on the drive wheel, but none on the idler wheel. That simplifies life somewhat.

Made a few more ginkgo leaves for a lamp project I’ve been working on... 18 down out of 51 needed.

Also, finally finished the heat treatment on a hardy cold cut and started my first attempt at a basket twist.

(Sorry about the image sizes, can’t seem to figure out how to reduce the size on this iPhone...)

F258B131-E1C5-42B1-BD8D-3C3F4E7D59CA.jpeg

953E925D-6A41-4F10-B553-479056794881.jpeg

Love the ginko leaves..  also the other forged bits.. I'd suggest you make the cutting edge of the hardie narrower..  the extra width is great when you need the extra support of the cutting edge but it will make cutting a bar much more difficult.   

If you are cutting alloy or tool steels the extra reinforcement might be needed but for the most part a decent base metal with a full hardening and proper temper will do 99% of the materials used in a smithy.