I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Pimped the other two SS 316 Ti burners with an orifice of #60 instead of #73 and supply them with a #60 pressured air injection (MIG-tip). Now they powerful enough to reach the temperatures on a second (brass, bronze or copper) melting furnace (maybe for sale) and the two gas forges I intend to use for damast welding.

And YES I still use the TÜV- approved gas components like torch and connectors of the humble ‘weed’-burners instead of the galvanised 110lbn/in stuff from the local pluming shop.  Do this to avoid damage on the rubber hoses and valves by crawling up heat to hoses and valves after shut down the devices.

Any tips for assembling a simple damast packet are more than welcome. Cheers, Hans

IMG_20171126_205448.jpg

IMG_20171126_205509.jpg

IMG_20171126_205410.jpg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the start of a skillet, or a pan!

littleblacksmith 

Got my new brush and just had to try it out so I had to forge something. So I figured go kinda big with a bickern made from 1 1/8" torsion bar. I had trouble getting it bent exactly how I wanted but it turned out ok so I spent the time and hardened it and smoothed it out. As forged wasn't far off but I did polish it up a little. 

Does this butcher block brush make my anvil look small? :lol:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a winco br9 from Amazon. I bought another one before it that was a complete dissapointment. This one throws Sparks and so far is awesome. Before this I've only used the old welding brushes and have been meaning to get a good one  

The bickern was inspiration from JHCC making his and I needed a useful project for the evening. 

Other then that I got some chrome wrenches soaking in a potassium permanganate solution to see how that works to help remove the chrome. 

Whatchu talkin bout Thomas? 

Didn't do any blacksmithing today, but I did poke around in the other shop a little. Took a few things out of the overnight vinegar soak. (I added the Collins HB axe to the vinegar after the pic was taken) First I cleaned up the double bit Kelly axe and re-profiled the edges. (I sharpen double bits with a steep angle on one bit and a thinner angle on the other side.) I had it looking really nice with new edges until I picked it up again and decided I wanted it a lot thinner... It looks terrible now with all the grinding marks going almost to the eye, but I guess it's a little thinner. Ugh. The cleaver is something I found in an old trash pile by a ranch in Colorado. There was some pretty cool stuff in that pile... It looks better than in the pic, and I'm planning to re-handle it. (Anything jumping out to y'all that would look special and be dishwasher safe?) Also stuck a ball peen in the vinegar just cuz. The real thing I'm looking forward to is re-handling this Collins Hudson Bay pattern axe. It's an old military issue with a US stamp and some green paint left. Ran out of seasoned hickory, so I had to order a handle.:( The head is in great shape with just a little surface pitting. Edge was so good that sharpening it was like sharpening a knife. Went ahead and made a sheath for it the other day, while waiting for the handle.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Re shaped an absurdly large chisel to split and mainly spread some fork tines and other thing like leaf heart hooks from nails. It's a bit taller then I meant at 16" tho. Fixable, but I'll try it out first. Then made a handle for a 3"X1" brass brush I'll be trying out. Used the bickern I made to make the loop. Worked well but needs more testing. 

Other then that just putsing around with electrolysis and a first failure at removing chrome. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's a smart idea for the brass brush, Das. I have had too many small burns from fingers slipping off the sides of those brushes while burnishing awkward parts. An easy solution - thanks for the idea. Another one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' things.

Thanks, Das! People tend to like these hooks :)

The poker made me think of something unusual for the hanger. Unfortunately I realized only when it was forged ready that my original thought was to cut the hook part from the opposite direction. There went almost a year between the thought and the realisation of this project so that's why I forgot it :) Anyway the costumer seems to like it, so all okay...

Bests:

Gergely

Yep, those nail hooks are well done, Gergely. You bend them a lot more than I do and they look good like that.

My efforts today included a rebar snake. I have found that upsetting the bar for the head gives more mass to use. Better than folding and welding I think. Also made a double length bull's head camp oven lifter for a person who has a bad back (like me) and doesn't want to bend too far.

And thanks to Das's post about the brass brush handle, I made one for my brass brush. Used an old spike thing I found in the scrap. Good thing is that they are easily removed and attached to a new brush when the old one wears out (as they do). Thanks again for the idea Das. Saves  burning those overlapping fingers.

DSC_8349.JPG

DSC_8350.JPG

Thanks, Aus! 

Those are real nice works of yours, too! The longhorn had me think about its adaptation for the Hungarian Grey cattle. Those are pretty popular and iconic creatures nowadays around here, being revived ancient cattle Hungarians used to have in the shiny past. 

Bests to you!

Gergely