I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Small Froe for one set of the grandkids; It's about time for their Father to teach them how to build a fire for campouts and a froe is a LOT safer than a hatchet for splitting kindling.  It's annealing right now and I will draw file it over Thanksgiving.  Then normalize it for an abusive life....(Note I said *build* a fire not *set* a fire...)

Turning a sq shaft from a large screw driver into an incised twist S hook.  Definitely has an appreciable carbon content and *NOT* *PLATED*.  Used the chain over the anvil with a weight to hold it for incising, not as fast as having a helper hold it but MUCH faster than setting it on the anvil, getting two licks on the chisel before it heads to the floor, picking it up reheating, repeat...

Two cubicle hooks from foot long landscape timber nails and one smaller S hook from an extremely rusted shorter nail of about the same diameter

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put a bit of arc in the dishing hammer I’d started previously and tried (unsuccessfully) to harden it. 

Forged the stem on a piece of axle that I’m making into a bickern for the hardy hole. Quite a workout with no striker!

Tweaked the book-themed doorstop I made for a librarian friend:

071EB687-AB67-46DA-BD79-5EE507CB4D83.jpeg

Played around with another RR spike calla lily:

14ACC754-0B5B-4615-9F27-D6270BAA2EE0.jpeg

And made a forge stand out of a piece of a trailer hitch, a length of conduit, and a hand rake I’d previously twisted up from four pieces of garage door spring:

20F65B1F-1F93-4880-B1E3-D8A45B2FE20D.jpeg

The shaft has four height adjustments, and the top piece can be rotated four ways as well, giving great adjustability. 

Also determined that the cooking knife I’ve been working on for a while can still be salvaged, even though the tip of the blade warped during heat treatment.

Aside from packing up all my stuff in the living room and hauling it off to the basement so the room can be painted, I cleaned up in the shop because it's that wonderful time for vehicle maintainence. Joy.. 

Took the opportunity to make a nice tong stand. Ah it's nice having them all organized there.

image.jpg.21f1a569e2e54a185468ca4cc5f80bab.jpg

image.jpg.3b5be367a79d157da2e5b81b949e181a.jpg

Re-clayed the JABOD. The previous version was a thin-ish layer of adobe over sand, and it was starting to break apart. Dug out a large area around the firebowl and put in a much thicker adobe layer. 

1E69F9E8-735E-46D2-8917-DCF3E793D796.jpeg

Also replaced the tuyere, which was made from some thin-walled pipe that I just had lying around. Too thin, as you can see, and it burned back a couple of inches. It’s been replaced with similarly sized schedule 40 black pipe, which should be more durable.

0025179D-A2EA-4E44-9FA0-C2E6D3277374.jpeg

Today I finished off a rake to go with the recently made poker.

1aGawX2.jpg

Unfortunately the bar was cut too short, so I had to draw out the ends a bit more than I had intended, so the loops at the ends are very differently sized.... on the plus side, at least they are approximately around the same length and I kinda, sorta, almost got a similar look going.

XHNScfz.jpg

4 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

JHCC, what about a ceramic tube or roof tile for the air delivery. May take the heat better. 

Finding a ceramic tube in the right diameter might be tricky, whereas the 7/8" ID of 3/4" Schedule 40 should be just right. The previous tube was really, really flimsy, and I just used it until something better turned up in the scrap pile. Which it did, just in time.

Bent some expanded metal into a screen cover for the bin under the coal forge ash dump. The idea is that ash will fall through and still burn able coke will get caught to be tossed back in he fire. Idea stolen from another Smith I was helping out

B715CECF-F5C8-49AD-A7BF-8E0BB38DF22B.jpeg

41656D2E-5B84-48BD-B546-FBE970F7D4F8.jpeg

Made a twisting jig out of mostly scrap i found laying around.

IMG_7751.thumb.JPG.d84be3de64dad2f80e365713ca9c74c8.JPG 

The idea is to weld a 3" long or so T on the end of the workpiece that fits in thw twisting side,  clamp the other end in the vice. The 1" shaft slides in and out of the bearing as well as the 2" deep slots on the pipe end make it quite adjustable.

Tested it on my first BSB/PS billet attempt.  Worked like a charm.

IMG_7753.thumb.JPG.660edc0eb0e226c20bb0ee33a0a0940d.JPGIMG_7758.thumb.JPG.22bd8eef0f116ddec9d59262cd2341ac.JPGIMG_7760.thumb.JPG.743a79cfad096b2bc1414d334dc3b9c0.JPG

made a few hammers. a small 1 lb rounding hammer, though not exactly happy with it. also made a little less than 1 lb what I'm going to call a cross between a Swedish cross pein and what others might call a viking style cross pein. then used some cable that Shawn S gave to me the other day and made a small cable Damascus Swedish style cross pein that turned out not half bad. That one will be donated to an auction that my local blacksmith shop is having during a combo demo open forge event. I oughta take a picture of the face of the end grain of the cable Damascus it's kinda cool, reminds me of frog eggs.

Littleblacksmith  

IMG_7291[1].JPG

IMG_7292[1].JPG

IMG_7296[1].JPG

IMG_7293[1].JPG

IMG_7294[1].JPG

7 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

made a small cable Damascus Swedish style cross pein that turned out not half bad.

Okay, lbs wins Understatement of the Day. That’s a lovely little hammer, Mark, and kudos to you for creative use of materials.