Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

Thanks! No, I don’t have a belt grinder. I forged close to shape, rough ground on a 6” bench grinder (after some initial shaping with an angle grinder), and then “filed” to final shape with HF diamond plates. Sharpening was with Japanese waterstones from my woodworking days. 

That being the case. I like it all the better... You smoothness and straight, flat blade is awesomeness to behold..  Few people realize what 90% of the knives and such were actually finished to when done by hand.. I have an old French bayonet dated 1828 and its not perfect by todays standards but it's wonderfully hand made an a mighty fine example of craftsmans ship.. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

That being the case. I like it all the better.

Thanks, Jennifer. There's a lot about it that I'm not satisfied with, but I felt okay about it going out the door.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

You smoothness and straight, flat blade is awesomeness to behold.

That's all careful lighting and soft focus to hide the flaws!

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

As I recall oil in the air would degrade the pvc from the inside of the pipe making it more fragile over time.  Do you have a filter between the compressor and the pipe run?

Yes there are two water separators/filters in line.  The run of pipe is short (ten feet) and I just checked my pipe and it's rated at 600psi (not the current 450psi). I guess the older schedule 40 was made to a higher standard than the current junk. Another thing is my compressor is only run when air is needed not like a lot of commercial systems where the compressor is on all the time.

I'm not recommending that anyone use schedule 40 for their air delivery system and had I known about the problem in '85, I would have used black steel pipe & fittings. I'll fabricate a sheet metal shield system to be sure mine is safe.

Listen to some wise guys on IFI and build another gas forge. This time smaller and with an air forced burner. Go’s much better with the power hammer and have less dragon breath on the exhaust. So the shop roof is lees in danger and speed and result are so much better.

Call him tender Ms.Piggy.

Also create multiple connectors in the shop for pressured air  because of the needs of hammer, forge and melting furnace. So now it’s time to make some new stuff.

Soft on the hammer.JPG

Ms Piggy result.JPG

Ms Piggy.JPG

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:45 PM, Hotshoein4 (Mark) said:

Hoof pick and bottle cap opener combo. For the horse owner or farrier that enjoys a cold beverage.

Nice pick! Always like these double-use ideas.

After today's demo, I played around with a couple of aircraft engine bolts and made a pair of door pulls. Don't know what the steel is, but it was hard work punching the holes. Takes a good shine though and the hot brass adds a bit of highlight. No finish applied. An original bolt is in the centre of the pic. It's handy when you know an aircraft engineer, as these through bolts are replaced regularly.

door pulls.JPG

Awesome heart Jlp. I really appreciate the vids, keep them rolling. I'm learning a lot. 

Had a car in the shop today with a dent in the quarter panel that could benefit from some new style dent repair rods. While I was at it I made a couple other styles that have helped me. Mostly trunk lid springs ( awesome small spring steel by the way) and some unknown round bar.  These as others I've made are all experimental but when they work, wow do they save time and make me money quicker. All for accessing holes in panels that are already there that I can access the dents. 

I have seen dent wizards drill holes in panels where it isn't as visible ( as in door jambs) then put a plastic plug in it after but in my line of work I don't have that luxury. Has to be clean and factory. So when I have a tail light wire harness hole or something that's all I have to utilize. Otherwise I'm using weld on studs and burning the back side of the panel. Still apply corrosion protection but the least invasive way is best. ( and quicker ;) ) 

Other then that I finished up yet another 3 tine fork that I messed up. Finished it out tho. I'll get it eventually. Getting good at spoons but forks are tough. Especially 3 tine. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not exactly forge related but I finished up a short vise stand and made a small filing vise. Still need to hang some little hooks or something or other the hang my files from. The filing vise was purpose built for filing on spur rowels, The Lady is getting a set of spurs for Christmas. 

847A22B7-7A01-4498-806C-F4B64D8E7CA3.jpeg

2E8D1F3E-3189-4856-91A6-18E4084E06A1.jpeg

4DB22E96-0FAC-44ED-9468-8602B2E0C565.jpeg

342AE381-78FD-42AB-A53E-E2C5F24CE7F5.jpeg