Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Ryan Thibault said:

the one on the right looks almost as it could be used as a bottle opener!

Well, my friend, everything IS a bottle opener. This rule applies well in this case, too ;)

Actually with good aiming there is more than one way to open a bottle if you got these babies...

Bests:

Gergely

Started working on legs for my demo forge. Then just decided to upset a chunk of rebar to make a spatula. Then I changed my mind and liked the way it was turning out so I rolled with it. Good practice in upsetting. Then I decided back on the spatula lol. Ugh... Artists ... 

Upset rebar,squared,  drawn out twisted drawn out chiseled, twisted again, flattened, ground and sanded then a lil polish. Ah, whatever. Here it is. Spatula. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Daswulf; I can hardly wait to see what you come up with when you are willing to put some time and effort into it, (runs for bunker activating blast doors!)

Did you cold planish the working end to give it a bit more spring or was there enough carbon to quench and draw?

JHCC: for deep dishing like for cooking pots I like to curve the shaft of the bolt so its arc matches my swing arc hitting spot on. I also heat treat if the bolt supports that.

Lol Thomas, I did do a light bit of cold planishing but not a lot. It Is springy tho. No quench. ( keeps its shape bending slightly by hand) Mostly ground out any hammer marks with a 3" roloc on a pneumatic die grinder then some grits of sand paper on a 3" (pneumatic buffer) actually works great since it works more as a grinder then dual action sander. Then I couldn't find any rouge for a while ( it's around somewhere) but found some from a dremel kit so I buffed it a lil bit.  ( if I ever put a lot of time, effort and thought into something it might be dangerous. :) ) 

I really need to clean and organize my shop. Finding anything but my forge seems to be a chore. This was just for fun but it turned out to be my fanciest spatula yet. Just wish I had a striker tonight so I could have used the flatter to save some grinding. All good fun to relieve some stress from work. 

Thanks JHCC . Idea on :). I wanna see. The upsetting part was great practice for when I start my full size skeleton. Been practicing upsetting and rounding lately. Have some tricky fullering to try yet. 

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I like to curve the shaft of the bolt so its arc matches my swing arc hitting spot on. I also heat treat if the bolt supports that.

Good reminder; thanks. I haven't put the handle on yet, so I should be able to do this next time I fire up the forge. I'll try a heat-treat at the same time.

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

for deep dishing

However, I really do not like Chicago-style pizza.

31 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

@JHCCNice clean forge work... Belt grinder for the blade?

Thanks! No, I don’t have a belt grinder. I forged close to shape, rough ground on a 6” bench grinder (after some initial shaping with an angle grinder), and then “filed” to final shape with HF diamond plates. Sharpening was with Japanese waterstones from my woodworking days. 

45 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks @JHCC for the excellent idea..  And Mr @ThomasPowersfor sharing it with JHCC... :) 

Full credit to @ThomasPowers on this one — I’m just following his lead!

Started refurbishing a 4 1/2 inch post vise that followed us home. Picked it up at last Saturday's BOA meeting.

Freed up the rusted screw box and screw. The threads are very good. Replaced the handle which was an old long rusted up undersized bolt & nut. Forged a spring and found a large brass washer that works for a thrust washer replaced the pivot bolt with one that is the proper size. The spring is made from a small piece of wrought iron that was a wagon tire in it's prior life.

Next step is to forge a u-bolt & flange to mount it on a portable stand to take to meetings/demos and of course wire wheel the surface rust.

100_1904.thumb.JPG.9f87f6053fd45ad6a3f66a0bfc5116c0.JPG

Made some more stock for holiday markets. I successfully forged aluminum for the first time and made a key chain/pendant and a ring out of it....didn't even melt any somehow. I also made my second brass ring...I love the look of a high polish on brass! Also found out that wrought iron tempers pretty much just like steel for some good looking accent colors.

SAM_3954.JPG

SAM_3993.JPG

SAM_4029.JPG

SAM_4051.JPG

1 hour ago, Reeltree said:

Tell me that's not pvc air compressor line,, if so,, can you say "OUCH"  *##@*!!&* xxxxxxx  pipe  now ,,cause it can most likely bust open under air pressure

It's schedule 40 rated at 450psi. I installed it 30 years ago and have had no problems with it. My system max pressure is 125psi.

I found out not too long ago that OSHA has outlawed it for commercial installations. It's my understanding that most of the failures occurred when the pressurized pipe was struck with an object.