I Forge Iron

Coronavirus 2020

Marc1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand the run on bottled water?   WHY?   Nothing seems to indicate that city water will break down and if they are worried about it, buy some large jugs and fill them up from your home taps!  If things get so messed up that public water fails---will you have electricity to pump your well water?

Now TP stores well and having some extra isn't a big thing; but paying extra??? All Y'all know my feelings on that!

I was just reading about the new internet scams trying to get people to click on things or give out their fiscal data.  Many of them are now spoofing government and international organizations: WHO, CDC, .gov, etc.  If you get one by email; open a new window and manually go to the home site and see if they have such a page!  (I get most of my covid-19 info from cdc.gov; very refreshing to have data rather than wild surmises and conspiracy theories!)   

Probably the most egregious ones were the "send us bitcoin to help support our virus research"-----*right*.... Now if you send me bitcoin I will beam high intensity "curmudgeon waves" at any Covid-19 around you to help protect you. (I will also invest such monies into a good Mutual fund...)

I'm in a high risk population, Insulin Dependent Diabetic, and have had pneumonia several times and am in my 60's.  I'm at work doing my job.  Most of the precautions are to slow down the spread to where the health care system can handle it; they are delaying actions. I expect it will come through here eventually and like the flu each year will produce some fatalities.  I don't expect that financial system will auger in; in fact I'm looking into buying some stocks! I don't expect that water/electricity/internet will fail and since my life depends on electricity and the production and shipping and storing of insulin; I keep an eye on such things.  So far it's more "All we have to fear is fear itself" than a crisis.

There is nothing "stupid" about the response from people to overexposure and bombardment from media on this issue. In fact it is a predictable and well known behaviour. 

The only thing that would be interesting to know is ... if this massive exposure  that created the wave of panic is intentional, or just the natural unintended result of how media and governments work. 

We will probably never know. 

Meantime today I will see if I can find some more toilet paper to add to my stockpile of 2,543 rolls so far ... :)

Actually 2,542 ... :unsure:

PS

Our Home Affairs minister Peter Dutton just returned from meetings with his counterparts in the US and brought home the virus with him. 

No one is exempt, but travel and gatherings are the way to spread it, regardless of status.  

Myself I wanted to be prepared for the Poodemic   So I bought 300 cases of certified organic , non GMO , vegan friendly , CBD oil and lavender oil infused Toilet paper. As you wipe you not only smell better but the CBD makes your rear feel better.

So if anyone runs out of TP  you can PM me I am selling my special TP for 7.99 per roll plus shipping and handling .   Amazon prime can probably get it to you by drone before you run out.

The fear mongering and misinformation is out of hand.   My wife went normal grocery shopping today. She went to 3 stores all of them were out of MANY items. None of them had bacon! No bread ,butter ,milk.

In our area no confirmed cases.   Just craziness

We're gradually creeping up in NM; 10 last time I checked, what I noticed is that at least a third of the cases were associated with travel to NY; but If I compare the number of reported cases in NY it seems very odd that out of the millions of people there (19 million +); our 3 would encounter the relatively few reported cases currently listed (325 according to the CDC at this time). My take:  lots of unreported/unrealized cases out in the general population. Which is actually good news as it indicates that *most* people are having it without any major issues that would drive them to the Dr's office and so be tested, treated, and reported!

There's an old adage amongst News media, The papers is where I first heard it and it's been around as long as humans have spread news. "If it bleeds it leads." That's what sells papers, sponsor time, etc. so "If it doesn't bleed make it look like it does."

Hyping scares is meat and drink for any news "service," just because it cause all sorts of damage only makes it scarier. 

Alaska saw it's first confirmed case announced last night. The News was all over it, repeated special announcements on all channels, lots of concerned expressions and solemn tones. One caster is probably getting a raise right now he managed a convincing quiver in his voice and had red eyes. The case arrived in Anchorage as a crew member on a private air cargo plane 48 hrs ago. He'd stayed home and called the hospital when he became symptomatic. Spend the night in the hospital isolation unit and was returned home to self quarantine for a while. They're tracking where he's been, who he contacted, etc. Pretty reasonable so far, except for the news coverage.

On a practical note: take everything you see on TV with a bucket of salt. Stress, cortisol, weakens your immune system so stay calm. Pretend if you have to. It's not that hard to reprogram your brain, I learned a LOT about it over the past 10 years. Anyway, if you keep pretending you aren't worried, laugh about some of the sillier things, say encouraging and supportive things to your friends, and so on it won't take long before you start feeling better yourself. Less stress, the less likely you'll catch the bug and the less severe it'll be. 

Think of it like smiling while talking on the phone, the folks on the other end WILL pick up on it and thing will be more pleasant. If you''re a telemarketer this is a MUST, your job is maybe less hated than tow truck drivers who haul your car off from a no parking zone. 

I'm in the high risk category: over 60, diabetic, smoked heavily for at least 25 years, have been hospitalized for pneumonia though the first case was caused by a hospital stay, over weight and not nearly active enough. I'm not going to worry about it. Take precautions? Oh yeah. Worry? No.

Deb and I spent almost 4 hrs. sitting in a DMV office applying for our "Real" ID. We took a Zircam rapid melt and an Airborne vit. C immune system booster before we left. We didn't talk to anybody up close, we and the person at the counter stood a ways back unless we had to sign something. We stopped at a local restaurant for lunch afterwards though that was the 4th. time I'd scrubbed the dickens out of my hands since 11am. Talk about dry hands! I'm carrying a little tube of hand lotion now. Neosporin ointment makes a decent hand lotion and is anti bacterial. I know, not much use against a virus but it keeps the hands soft and can't hurt.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow the real ID down here was in and out in 15 minutes.  Used my Passport card and printed out a paystub from my job.  Used to be that they wouldn't accept NM drivers licenses for air travel id.  Not a problem for me as I always had my Passport card to hand.

As most of my work time is spent in my office, alone, I expect I'll be working till they kick me out.

See all y'all Monday---and no coughing on another smith's anvil face!

We ran into wal mart for 3 things. Ended up going ahead and buying other things after seeing the empty shelves. A lady offered us some of her toilet paper, and I thought that was great. We didn't need any, but seeing every cart leaving the store with it, we thought we'd better. Can goods and Ramen noodles are slim pickins.

20200313_175346.jpg

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

what I noticed is that at least a third of the cases were associated with travel to NY

Yea idaho had its first confirmed case like 4 hours ago from someone who was in NY recently. That is like 2 hours away from us in Ada county though, none in our area. 

On March 13, 2020 at 10:56 AM, JHCC said:

I just read an excellent article on the difficulties of projecting the actual impact of Covid-19.

I read a similar article. I think you are hitting on the big point here. The issue isn’t how deadly COVID-19 is, it’s how quickly it can overwhelm our medical system. The classic example of St. Louis Vs. Philly (see attached) is very helpful. If you use social distancing you can “flatten” the spikes and keep the hospitals from getting swamped. Then, by having adequate facilities we can make things even less deadly. 

The media hype has done two very bad things: 1- Put people into panic mode.
2- Created a “crying wolf” feeling in people. 

The panic one is obvious, panic makes basically everything worse. The other side of the coin is a little more complicated. When the media loses credibility like ours has, people start asking themselves who stands to profit from each story and hype train that comes along. Then, when something like this happens you get people who believe that there is some nefarious plot behind everything. As a result, people ignore good advice. 

PNG image.png

Consider the original source and then try to confirm the information.  

Many times you can chase the confirmation back to one starting point that everyone picked up and repeated.  It works for many subjects.

The shelves here are bare in spots.  Cases of 16 oz bottles are gone but just above them there were 32 oz single bottles of flavored water.  Toilet paper is gone but there are paper towels and kleenexes on the next shelf.  Beans and rice are picked over but still present, as are certain flavors of Ramen noodles.  Two ladies were standing in front of empty produce cases that held dozens of chicken eggs.  One commented to the other that eggs do not keep that well and  she bets the eggs will get thrown into the trash in a couple of weeks.   Management says more trucks arriving tomorrow and shelves are being restocked as products are available.

Stay safe.

I know we're  all getting the same news eventually, but if you haven't seen it..ibuprofen is showing a tendency to worsen symptoms in cases in Denmark and France, especially for people under 50. They're  recommending sticking with acetaminophen for fever and aches if you or your family contract it...just an fyi.

Also some yucks..

1I560.jpg

1I5G3.jpg

Some items are hard to find, some are rationed, and some are gone, but no chaos in east Charlotte area today. Plenty of shoppers, some with masks and gloves. Lots of store cleaning going on, cooler handles, etc.

Except I forgot to look for feta at Costco, dang it. The aisles were full of pallets of stuff, all the coffee, PB and Spam you could hope for a protracted self quarantine. You may have to make your own bread, but flour is still plentiful in the grocery stores. (Yes, pumpkin, you can use your oven to do more than hide leftovers from the cat.) 

K-12 schools are shut down in both Carolinas, most colleges are doing extended Spring Breaks, and trying to figure out how to shift everything possible online. Some states are closing restaurant dining rooms, take out and drive thru only.

Blacksmithing content: Events of over 100 are prohibited, so Ellen Durkan will not be at the Big Blu shop next Saturday. NCABANA Spring meet is cancelled.

Some things are cleaned out but unless you go into Anchorage folks are pretty civilized and only pushing a couple carts. Deb's still looking for a couple things and tonight is freight delivery so I'll hit the store at opening tomorrow. IF the lot isn't packed that is. 

On the bright side of Covid 19 is how quickly the commercials for medicines to make you feel good enough to go to work even if you're sick have disappeared! Yeah no more people doing a happy dance or high 5ing each other in crowded office for coming to work sick. 

Maybe some good will come out of this after all.

Frosty The Lucky.

Supermarkets in Sydney have imposed a quote on popular items like TP one pack per customer, two hand sanitisers etc. But the best idea is that from Thursday, they will open one hour earlier, during restocking time and let only the oldies in. 

I find that great. I'll get in, buy TP and cleaning stuff, wait for an hour and resell them at triple the price at the door when they run out ... :)

THe revenge of the oldies 

I had been reading all these posts, but had not been shopping in about a week. So, I dropped by today. Ok, all the signs are there. My goal as soon as I got into the parking lot was to remain immovably calm. I didn't even go to the less expensive grocer I normally would go to. I stepped into one of the nicer places, (both unnamed).  **sigh**

I miss having my own chickens, very responsive birds. I tell ya they get no respect. 

Ya we have 5 cases now here in idaho. We decided to close our little business and many schools here are closing after Tuesday. I dont really like having to do any of this stuff but social distancing seems to be effective at fighting this thing. Just hope it will be over soon, we have a trip to texas planned and a really dont want to miss that. Also the Olympics seem to be in a major stall as thay are supposed to be in Tokyo this year.

On the subject of wild toilet paper, if you are in a place with skunkweed, you may think, " oh it has large fluffy leafs that feal very soft, it would make great toilet paper." But i have to tell you, do not use it. It will work well but within the next few hours you will, um....., start to itch. And it doesn't go away for like two days, (i know from experience). It really is only irritating when you are sitting or laying down but boy is it irritating! So do not, absolutely DO NOT use skunk weed. You will not sleep for a couple of days.