I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Thank you all the way around..  There is always an open forge so maybe if things change you might be able to attend.. 

in 2020 is the big ABANA event in NY..   Might be a great time to come to the north east.. 

A trip like that isn't likely anywhere in my future, Jennifer.............though as I mentioned, it would be great to have the opportunity to tutor under your learned eye.

Thanks 58er and Frosty.. 

Frosty sorry if my PM sounded stupid but maybe now you can see why I asked about how you laid out the vent pipes in the floor.. 

The area I have to cover is substantial so was thinking the machining and welding/fabrication side would get the floor vents.. 

I never got a response to the PM (again sounding stupid maybe)..  So have a few more questions as to main pipe size and feeder size which we talked about as 4" 

What kind of vacuum pump or blower were you thinking? 

I'll PM again if you'd rather. 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Frosty sorry if my PM sounded stupid but maybe now you can see why I asked about how you laid out the vent pipes in the floor. 
What kind of vacuum pump or blower were you thinking? 

I'm out of the loop with what you are talking about here, but if you have a high water table I would avoid anything exhaust piping in the floors.

I'm assuming you are putting some exhaust fans and wall louvers in? If so just up size them for 2 or 3 air changes per hour and forget the floor vents. Install the exhaust fans on the same side as the welding/fab area and the louvers on the opposite wall. Have the exhaust fans on a VFD interlocked to the louvers, much simpler and easier system. Maybe it's a regional thing, but of all the fab shops I've either been in or worked on design, non have floor vents. The only time we seem to see those is auto or truck repair shops and most owners would prefer to see them ceiling mounted instead of in the floor. 

I briefly met u at 2018 abana teaching tent,  I commented on the beautiful flesh fork u were finishing up, u said this ain't my first rodeo...indeed it's not best of luck to u, u dont need any actually u have the talent . The drive and anyone taught under u will be the benefactor no doubt!!

Well hello Bill,  Hope I didn't sound to disrespectful with the comment..  You wouldn't believe how many times a kind gentleman comes along and offers suggestions on how I should do something..  LOL.. 

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement and support.. 

Here is a photo of the fork you mentioned.  

51541334_245382326386434_7049108352936181760_o.jpg

20180705_124906[1].jpg

Gosh, Jennifer, that fork is absolutely beautiful.  I keep going back to look at all the details and it looks as if it's "not made by hands"................if that makes any sense.  The design and symmetry are incredible.

I downloaded your picture to my PC and enhanced the image to blow it up to 400% and I can hardly find any hammer marks.  You are truly an artist.

Jennifer: Your PMs weren't stupid if I didn't reply I either forgot to, got lost looking up a picture to illustrate something or our sometimes glitchy ISP lost or somethinged it. I often get multiple copies of emails and PMs and sometimes days later than sent. I'll look at our PMs and see what I dropped.

Once I got a look at your footings and cast walls I realized I was out of my depth giving concrete advice. I'd let the contractor do his thing. If he gets 100% compaction on the base the floor shouldn't have any problems. About the ONLY way to keep concrete from cracking is to use fibercrete and that's darn expensive. 

The blower is just an old forge type blower I picked up some years ago, it has a 3" outlet and turns like butter and I haven't put a motor to it yet. Drawing through a limited ducting circuit will keep the velocity high enough to keep most of the solids moving till it goes out the shop wall. I'll get back. 

Fowllife: Completely exchanging the air in your shop 2-3 times/hr sounds good till you consider the air you're exchanging it with reads, <-20f on the thermometer. Then having the fumes from welding cutting, etc. just sucked into the table starts sounding like you don't have to wear a parka and bunny boots in the shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chicken! You certainly don't think that'll keep you from proving the Dunning Kruger papers right do you?

I'm good with not knowing I'll probably never know how much I don't know about what think I'm talking about. Know what I mean?

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

Jennifer: Your PMs weren't stupid if I didn't reply I either forgot to, got lost looking up a picture to

Frosty,  that's ok on the responses. .  Busy is busy. Besides you know my writing style and frankly after I wrote it and sent it. It sounded stupid to me but could not figure out a different way..

Yesterday I was approached by Bob R. Who keeps things at The bolton Fair as well as other historical venues about forging a toggle harpoon to hang in his shop.

I forged one years ago for the challenge from photos in a book. But was pretty crude.

Time being what it is becomes what is possible.   Getting out to the shop to forge for fun or research is rare today.

Fowllife gable venting is tricky because of the sealing during the winter.  Motorized completely sealed vents are very expensive.  

I have to figure out a way I can seal them off without costing a few thousand dollars a piece.

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Frosty,  that's ok on the responses. .  Busy is busy. Besides you know my writing style and frankly after I wrote it and sent it. It sounded stupid to me but could not figure out a different way.

We'd switched to email and I lost it in my inbox. It wasn't stupid, just confused. I don't have a good set of pics of the sub floor exhaust or gozinta system though I made dimensioned drawings. Working alone meant I had to wing some things and adjust as I went. 

I'll get back to your question and see if I can unconfuse what I said. 

Frosty The Lucky.