I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Frosty, love a visit..   Might go the other way to boot.. Once I'm done with the school build, I'm planning on taking my show on the road..  
So might end up in your neighborhood. 

I'm frugal and kerosene is crazy expensive here compared to diesel or gasoline.   Which kerosene used to be cheaper..  Ah.. 

So I ordered the parts which I think I can retrofit to the Areoil unit and have the results I'm looking for..   Carlin oil burners use a sliding adjustable burner nozzle/flame retention head..  Found a complete new one on Ebay for 80.00 delivered. 

I'll have to make some parts and will remove the spiral fins from the aeroil unit saving the assembly to put back in for the future owner.  I'll document the assembly with photos and notes.. 

The Carlin EZ burners have adjustable burn rates with an adjustable retention head..  Much like the Weil Mcwellan burners QB180 which were some of the first with the adjustable nozzle/burner retention heads. 

Heat wagon on their 400K unit use a separate blower and duct to air the burner..  

The smaller models use What is shown in the photo below..  I'll make something like this as the internals with the fan are about the same as my unit. 

The nice thing about the adjustable nozzle/air tube is nozzle size is adjustable.  This one is for .75 to 1.05gph. 

This one has an oil heater all ready..  Nice..  This will preheat the fuel oil coming down the tube. 

With the air grate in its for the lower firing gph nozzles.. With it pushed out some is for the larger gph nozzles. 

20240222_165606.jpg

20240222_165054[1].jpg

20240222_165619.jpg

20240222_165656.jpg

20240222_165659.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So got it apart without to much destruction of the original mounts and pieces.. 

I will leave the original tabs intact. 

Interestingly there is no reinforcement in the sheet metal and the nozzle just poked thru. 

Also interesting is the modern burner air tube fits right in the hole like it was cut out for it. +

I will create a flange and plug weld it to the outside of the sheet metal face.  this flange will have studs that will hold a ring over the new air tube sandwiching it in..  

The diagram of the 200K model  shows 3 flange bolts nearly like the ones on the original Aeroil mount. 

Because this new air burner tube does not have a mounting flange and because the sheet metal on the back of the burn chamber is thin I'll do as mentioned.  

Interestingly as well is the chamber looks pretty clean inside it.. But the secondary heat exchanger shows liquid oil  This tells me the fuel oil did not combust all the way and recondensed in the secondary heat chamber. 

Happy with the progress so far..    Because of how this burner is setup from the factory the options are limitless as to how it is setup..  Could be like the 200K with using the fan as the burner blower or like the 400K with a separate blower for the burner..  

Either way the burner face flange will have to be done. 

The last photo is of a standard Beckett burner tube..  The Carlin burner tube is a little narrower. but the air tube diffuser is the same size.. 

20240222_182204.jpg

20240222_190840.jpg

20240222_190848.jpg

20240222_191654.jpg

20240222_191710.jpg

20240222_191721.jpg

20240222_192913.jpg

20240222_192917.jpg

Frosty, I like doing stuff like this..  I've been enamored with oil burners as a mystic art since childhood. 

As with everything I do, I research and learn, then try to implement what I've learned.   Kind of like treasure hunting but with tidbits of information. 

Finding good information on oil burners was a real problem..  That was solved when I discovered NORA  (National Oilheat research alliance).  

Besides it's a good distraction from what I should be working on..  

The possibility of getting it running just the way I want through a little innovation and redesign is super exciting. 

Oh I get it. I've been watching and reading you for years here and rebuilding this burner is right up your ally. 

A person who has jobs will have work all their life. A person who loves their job never has to work.

That's a paraphrase of course, my memory isn't so good anymore but it' close enough to the old  saying. 

Hey, in this instance the project is a real heart (and everything else) warmer.B)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty, I guess working on the portable heater paid off..  It's been mid 40's here.. Today was 50F.. 

I am making progress and will go as the 200K heater..   Not an exact copy but close enough for my work using nearly off the shelf parts. 

The tin around the barrel is for setting air into the burner.  It will be held via hose clamp. 

I need to finish off the rear cap (make it a little smoother) drill the holes for the screws and connect the electrode nipple.. 

20240229_175852.jpg

20240302_193533.jpg

20240303_153658.jpg

20240303_164355.jpg

20240303_182802.jpg

20240303_190554.jpg

Added a KA75 hammer to the school too.. 

20240228_164109.jpg

Temps are pretending to come up here too. Getting a space heater working is usually a sign weather's about to warm up. Think you'll need it before next winter?

Sorry, I can't think of anything to say. I'm still gritting my teeth resisting the incredible urge to pick up the straight line with, Electrode and Nipple in it! :unsure:

You're a cruel CRUEL woman Jennifer!

Frosty The Lucky.

My friend  Eric called a few weeks back offering a hand and a visit so things came together and he came down yesterday for a wonderful day..   What a huge help. 

We were able to get the air handlers hung and one space sided.   Was a good pace..  Was tired last night and can feel it today.. 

20240309_164330.jpg

20240309_181035.jpg

20240309_181047.jpg

got another bay of siding up.  These only leaves 4 bays left.   The 2 on the side walls on the left side. and 2 at the end wall. 

The end walls are 1.5" thinner in the centers so they need to be shimmed to the full outer which you guessed it is the level steel framing.. 

Who would design a building that you have to put 1.5" shimms in the middle of a wall to make it level with the perimeter? 

2 weeks from today my buddy Eric is coming down and we are going to start with organizing and sorting..   

I see a couple of scrap runs in my future.

Also some equipment sales..  

20240315_144347.jpg

20240315_144349.jpg

20240315_144359.jpg

20240315_144406.jpg

20240315_144421.jpg

Too bad in pretty far away to make it to justify a trip to an equipment sale… I’ve been watch this build and can’t wait for you to reach the finish line. I imagine it’s exciting!

Keep it fun,

David

David, Steve it's hard to believe july 15 2019 is when the site prep started. 

That's a lot of years to add equipment that were to good of a deal to pass up on in the hopes of potential use. 

In some places you need to be mountain goat for sure. 

I keep telling myself it will be ok... 

I do so many things to support what I do, oil burner tech, auto technician,  machinist, lumberjack, plumber, etc, etc. And nearly all the tools that go along with that trade. 

It makes for a lot of stuff. 

If I just did blacksmithing/bladesmithing it would be so simple. 

Frosty and gang.. when the building was being built the front shed areas foundation and spacing were setup for walls to seamlessly match the main building..   

So can add 20ft when the time comes..  

As for time and finished..   I think so..  I mean I do think there will come a time when the inside is finished and items are in their organized areas..  

Because of the extent of "trades"  Foundry, machining, blacksmithing/bladesmithing/ wheelwright.  I'm still not sure how to store the items that are not in use..  

I have an idea to stack the machines on pallet racks at the end of the building and pull them down for use...  

But again these are just ideas..   The hardest part is coming up with installing the smoke stacks and is the last major hurdle. 

While the photos make it look extremely cluttered  most of it is just camera flash.. Meaning only seeing what is in the forefront of the photo..  There is a lot of empty space behind everything. 

The smoke stacks will mean having to move the manlift outside and machines into their working areas.. 

So the simple answer is "yes" it will be completed sometime and soonish..   Time goes by so quickly now. 

Uh HUH. Who was it that said? "A job isn't done till you're done with it." He had more to say than that of course, the thread was about people messing with a piece of ironwork till it was scrap. 

The rest was, to paraphrase, 'you'll be a good smith when you know it's finished. . . And STOP! He even put a laugh emoji at the end which was a real rarity. Like the ONLY time.

Frosty The Lucky.

I read something many years ago about someone visiting a foundry and seeing an old man carefully polishing a bronze church door. After a while, he went up to him and said, “That door looks absolutely perfect. How do you know when it’s done?” The old man replied, “It’s never done. They just come and take it away.”

• 5 weeks later...

Well it's been some time since an update..  Been busying with other things in an attempt to get caught up some with other things on the list. 

Hikerjohnson came down last weekend for some course instruction on an upcoming class he is assisting with.  While here he mentioned that I might really want to look into pallet racks and to do it sooner than later..  

I asked him how he was stack the shelves I have and he laughed and said he would not recommend it..   :) 

I've picked up several new to me pieces of equipment of note was a "Cincinnati Monoset Tool Grinder".   This is a very good tool grinder. 

It started when I wanted to use the pantograph thinking I had bits and I did not have the right sized ones..  So I went online to look for a tool sharpener for the pantographs..  Deckel SO were in the 2-4K range..  

I then searched FB market place and this grinder I had seen at 3k and dismissed it.   When I looked again it was half that. 

I spent about 40hrs cleaning it and the work holder drive motor. 

Ordered some of the missing parts.. 

Today was the first time running the machine and I have a lot to learn.  

Worked on sharpening this drill bit that had nearly 3/8" off of one side.  I then tried to split point it.   Lots to learn. 

20240407_163146.jpg

20240407_180747.jpg

20240408_200549.jpg

20240414_192202.jpg

20240414_201237.jpg

20240416_174737.jpg

20240416_180922.jpg