I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Mr Stevens - Big Azz (if I can say that?) fans do do a good job. There should be enough height for the small diameter fans to work here. If JLP is interested in going that route I would suggest a different supplier though. That particular company is VERY proud of their product, there are several other companies making high volume/low speed fans that would be more cost effective. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Fowllife said:

Make sure you install some temporary bracing as soon as you get the first bay set. Partially erected  pre-engineered buildings have been known to fall down if not braced. We use a bracket that bolts to one of the anchor bolts and use some big 20 ton?? come a longs to square it up. 

We ran 3000lbs ratchet straps to and from to stabilize the top section as it was put on and bolted down.  The way these things go up is so sketchy.  It's what the instructions showed. 

It said to just snug up all the bolts and some of the places it recommend just finger tight..  Cray, cray..  

Biggest problem is figuring out what everything is and then where it goes.  Speaking a new language without any training is tough. and they use a code that is very foreign.  There does seem to be some areas that are very confusing.. Anyhow, it's coming along.   

A view from up on the ladder as we were putting purlins up. 

Hey who made that chain?  

20191116_105228.jpg

20191116_132323.jpg

20191116_132332.jpg

20191116_144426.jpg

20191116_151506.jpg

20191116_162900.jpg

BE very careful once the snow and ice hits; no good to have a beautiful shop when you can't use it because you broke something!

I assume you are gunning for the roof and then will tarp in the sides and work on them as the weather cooperates?  Biggest problem will be knowing where stuff is under the snow.

We have a storm moving in here too; supposed to get an eighth inch of rain Tuesday Night, another eighth Wednesday and A QUARTER INCH Thursday! Daytime temps in the 50's.

I know, small beans, compared to other places; but I have to get the woodstove ready to be fired up as our main source of heat will be undergoing a gray-out.

Marcusb, Thanks

Les L.  I hope so. It's more complicated than most would think. and more info to come.. :)

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

BE very careful once the snow and ice hits; no good to have a beautiful shop when you can't use it because you broke something!

Thomas,  that was my plan only to have it dashed.  I have to install the walls first before the roof can go on.  LOL..   I'm down to a skeleton crew so have to start looking at other avenues to complete the project.   Most my friends have aged out and it's been in the 20's here so they are like. I'm to old for this crap.  LOL. finding people who want to work and be SAFE and have time behind a steering wheel in a LULL is a tall order. 

Its nice having a woodstove to sit by. I have my chair right next to the wood pellet stove.. :) Me and the doggy  and kitty usually shack up right in front..  And yes, safety and water and ice or snow does not make a Metal building be. 

Few photos of a little more progress. 

20191118_102214.jpg

20191118_102457.jpg

Ouch, I roofed my metal building first and then did the sides, of course out here it was for Sun protection and I wan't worried about getting an airtight join between walls and roof. in fact a 2" gap would have been nice.  My Gables are open and I was just talking to my wife about making louvers for them to not have rain blowing in during storms.

I agree with the complicated part, I've had the "pleasure" of putting a few up and everyone is a different challenge, especially when someone in the fab shop reads the tape measure wrong and the bolt holes aren't in the correct place. Had one building so bad I was refunded 1/2 the price of the building.

its kind of crazy how it works.  the instructions and even people who have experience say to leave the bolts loose and setup the main frame. Everything is loose then you square and tension the main frame.. 

anyhow, it's not what I'm used to.  today was a day off of sorts. I took the build list and went out and checked every bracket to locate and then know what it looks like so getting hands on it will be faster instead of searching thru them all.  I also called the MFG to find out about the 2 items that seem off.  

I measured the foundation bolt patterns and distances and they were all correct yet the front of the building (shed dormer) has this funky separated twin arrangment yet there is a small gap, and I believe there should not be based on base plate location and upper spacer. 

The original hangup with the top trusses were leaned over out of plumb today I walked out after getting back from work and they were plumb all on there own.  

As with anything like this, learning a new language is part of the fun. FB, EC, RF 1, FR2, E1, etc, etc, 

20191118_145418.jpg

20191118_144759.jpg

the bottom photo, this is supposed to bolt in between between the flange and the web..  LOL.. Maybe in a different world. 

So today was a time consuming day indeed.  Today I/We set the frame and measurements for all spacing at the foundation level.  We also squared the middle uprights. Next will need to tension the upper RF-2 -2 and set cable tension and the final squaring.  This took nearly 5hrs.                    

I definitely understand. You have to work to make money 

[political content deleted]

I am not a horse person though. If it aint got a motor I aint riding it!!  That may border on Sacrilegious since I live in Texas . But what the hay I was born in Germany.

Just hoping you had found some better info on your insulation that you had sent me already .

Edited by Mod34
Political content deleted

On 11/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Marcusb, Thanks

Les L.  I hope so. It's more complicated than most would think. and more info to come.. :)

Thomas,  that was my plan only to have it dashed.  I have to install the walls first before the roof can go on.  LOL..   I'm down to a skeleton crew so have to start looking at other avenues to complete the project.   Most my friends have aged out and it's been in the 20's here so they are like. I'm to old for this crap.  LOL. finding people who want to work and be SAFE and have time behind a steering wheel in a LULL is a tall order. 

Its nice having a woodstove to sit by. I have my chair right next to the wood pellet stove.. :) Me and the doggy  and kitty usually shack up right in front..  And yes, safety and water and ice or snow does not make a Metal building be. 

Few photos of a little more progress. 

Looking good, if I had time Id love to come by and help.  Unfortunately, I don't right now.

Its been a year and I still haven't been able to get my shop up and running. Hopefully this weekend! Good luck its already cold and rainy in 'eastern Mass and lately all I"ve had is outdoor work.

1 hour ago, Old Crew said:

I am not a horse person though. If it aint got a motor I aint riding it!!  That may border on Sacrilegious since I live in Texas . 

Nah, I like bikes, cars and trucks myself. Especially trucks. But you really should try being horseback sometime. It's peaceful. Only your thoughts and the creak of saddle leather, clip clop of the horses feet and it's breath. Really nothing quite like it. 

Sorry, back to subject now. Carry on!

They sure do don't they? This little mule I used to ride was like that. She wasn't happy about leaving home. Most of the time we'd get way behind the other riders because I let her have her head and we would stop so she could chat with the horses along the way or grab a mouthful of grass. Mostly I just enjoyed the solitude and that easy, peaceful feeling as the Eagles song goes. But as soon as we turned back towards home, she'd perk those long ears up and pick up stride. It would turn into a good paced trot if I let her. Ah, I miss riding so much...