I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You made me giggle with that one Jennifer. I had a little goat that rode with me in his "car seat ". A box with pine shavings in it. When he got bigger, he'd try to load up if the truck door was open and stand right behind the steering wheel. I'd love to have a horse, but I can't here. Anyway, sorry I took this off track. I'm not a builder of buildings unless you count animal shelters. But if I were able, I'd at least give you a hand with whatever I could. It's coming along nicely and your desire and determination are inspiring. 

Amusingly enough my face book profile picture is a Percheron viewed from the rear wile I was driving it. I captioned it “the view from the office”...

That said the first thought I had was that you have been creeping my Facebook page, then I looked close at the passages and no, not hairy enough buy far!

A3263BEF-7576-4203-9905-95CB6ADEE831.png

You're making good progress every day. Shows what happens when someone really goes after what they want. Earlier I said something about building animal shelters. I should have said cobble together-er of animal shelters... my husband is the builder. However, I am usually the lead designer ;)

Thanks CGL,  Its a slow go. Luckily I have some help so that works out well enough.  funny thing is we both gimp around as I had back surgery years ago and the Gentleman helping me has had a few back surgeries..  So Between the 2 of us, we both walk like a Yeti's  and we have to move nearly exactly the same.  It's funny. 

So, today we got rained out.   

Sorted all the pieces from front to rear walls, got all the pieces moved to their proper areas and got part of the rear wall together.  @Old Crew has been giving me wonderful advice and helping me to stay on track.  

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing but we started to build the back wall up off the ground as we were all ready gimping around.  

20191121_155102.jpg

20191122_131251.jpg

20191122_131302.jpg

Good going Jen, I know too well how hard it is to build when you have no or little help.

Slow and steady does it. I have built, extended, modified and refurbished a bag full of buildings mostly on my own, always very slowly but always with great personal satisfaccion. I am fortunate to be built like a tank, but the years do pile up :)

That shed is more of an anti seismic bunker that you are building. Good grief, it will take 2m of snow on it without a hitch.   

you will finish before you know it and then you will look back and think ... did I really build that? I know I think back like that and wonder :)

43 minutes ago, Old Crew said:

Jeniffer

You are doing good . That is exactly how I would go about building the end wall.

David

I also have some back issues. 3 fused vertebrae makes me hurt some until I get moving. So to some extent I can feel your pain !

David, I can't thank you enough for reaching out and helping me along.   Still no PDF from the insulation company and getting the run around on the CL issue with the building MFG. 

you can see that both uprights are being bent away from each other with that spacer.  :(

I will have to measure out what is there and maybe just make the spacers myself. I can't seem to appease them with photo's of the inaccurate CL041 and BSCL  and they just keep telling me the spacing is off on the foundation though I measured everything 8X and it all looks right on the money. 

The secibd photo is the BSCL and they expect that 8" long spacer to fit between that web and flange..  LOL.. Not in any universe I'm in. and the CL041 us at the top and the space is easy to see it is not parallel.  Gonna have to spend some time up on the ladder. 

Thanks Marc1,  I thought I would have to be going it alone a little more than I have been.  Luckily the other guy is retired so able to come more often.  

JHCC was laughing when I said I could use 4 more of me on this job say we can barely handle1. :)  But, boy it would make things a lot easier. 

20191118_145418.jpg

20191118_144759.jpg

Yes. Grid 2 A, and yes.  

for those that are curious as to what we are talking about. 

the foundation is setup on a grid type arrangement and the first drawing is the foundation plan and bolt plan also showing which way the  I beams are facing.  

On the left and right of the page, The A side  and a B, C and D. 
On top and bottom 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. 

On the Rigid frame elevation: Frame Line 2 you can see the D and A on the page just under the picture.  

With this and the Page numbers it's a lot easier to navigate. 

20191122_201357.jpg

20191122_201425.jpg

20191122_201439.jpg

Well I like your thinking. 

Hind sight is always 20/20..  I think there should be a thread on here for steel buildings being bought and erected. 

I have learned so much in the last week or so. I have learned why its so important to verify what it is they are actually doing on their end.  I have found that dealing with MFG's and distributors is nearly impossible as the information they are sharing is really only half truth from a person who may or may have never used or installed the very product they are selling and really there is no follow up other than the base line information that gets handed out as an installation package. 

There is just so much that goes on that most will never see coming.   

there are 2 basic designs of buildings.   More than that. but..     One design you can put the roof on before the wall sheets.  The other you have to put the wall sheets on before the roof. 

Anyhow,  I know it will all work out because I have been told so. :)

The suppliers of the building packages are numerous. Very few actually manufacture the individual components they sell as a "package"    I have erected many different buildings from different suppliers. Most of them purchase the components from the few true manufacturers and produce their own drawings necessary to assemble the building. Or they actually build just one part of the completed building. 

This building came from Sukup.         Bison steel is the  Broker/distributor/retailer.. (Sales team). 

All the beams are welded fabrication or bent galvi sheets.  What makes this building unique is the front shed dormer.. From the guy who pointed me to Bison the shed dormer setup was completely new for Bison when he asked them to build it.. 

He had to have welders come in to weld on the tabs and such as it was Field located work.  I was expecting to do the same. 

The sad truth is that most of the suppliers are expecting to deal with an erector from their list of qualified installers. Their "installers " will have gone through a painful learning curve  and either decided that this is a good building system or I won't bid on installing one of " insert brand"  buildings again.   I have built buildings from at least 6 different brands all but 1 built some portion in house and purchased the rest from either  MBCI  or NCI   until NCI bought out MBCI.   Each on had different plans and terminology for the parts. When there were problems the Qualified erectors are able to get "some" tek support.  So with the case of an end user such as JLP services purchasing a building for self install the service is lacking---- They have their money annnnd you are a one time customer.

It will all be worth it. 

I know that when I build a structure, there is always a starting point for reference. A "datum", which can be a point, or a line, or even a plane. Just a reference in space that all the other measurements are "pulled from". Whenever there is something that lands off kilter, I often go right back to the datum and check all my measurements to pin down the culprit.

It is looking awesome!!