I Forge Iron

Laws of Blacksmithing

After verifying it on the phone, then driving a hour in the worst weather of the month, that 'HUGE wrought iron blacksmith's anvil in pristine condition' that was advertised on CL is either a un-altered chunk of torch severed RR rail, or a 70 pound cast iron ASO with a face that looks like the 82nd Airborne used it for target practice for the last decade.

And they still "won't take a penny less than $300, cause that's what they sell for on the 'Bay".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings All,

Here comes the big one....  When doing a demo always keep a completed project in the slack tub...  IF YOUR DEMO DOES NOT GO RIGHT.. and it happens all the time... Just pretend you are doing the final cool down in the tub and take out the good one...  OLD TRICK..  Most never know..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thank you Jim! What a head slapper!

Frosty The Lucky.

After verifying it on the phone, then driving a hour in the worst weather of the month, that 'HUGE wrought iron blacksmith's anvil in pristine condition' that was advertised on CL is either a un-altered chunk of torch severed RR rail, or a 70 pound cast iron ASO with a face that looks like the 82nd Airborne used it for target practice for the last decade.

And they still "won't take a penny less than $300, cause that's what they sell for on the 'Bay".

Works for metal cutting lathes too. Must be a CL thing...

when shoeing a horse, take one look at the prepped hoof, go to the anvil and shape it in one go around. with just the right amount of " check this dude out" check for fit, and see its "Right On" except its upside down. :) casually toss it over to the off side and do the next one correctly.

Now that's an impressive save!

Greetings All,

Here comes the big one....  When doing a demo always keep a completed project in the slack tub...  IF YOUR DEMO DOES NOT GO RIGHT.. and it happens all the time... Just pretend you are doing the final cool down in the tub and take out the good one...  OLD TRICK..  Most never know..

Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

That's a great bit of advice! A bit of slight of hand and no-one's the wiser. I'll remember that.
I have a couple of completed roses on display in presentation boxes but I keep one that is 'hot off the forge'. What people don't know is that I have curled and uncurled the petals on that one a number of times. It takes a long time to do a full rose at a demo, and people like to see an item in the finishing stages. A bit devious, but hey, I can live with that.

I love it when folks say "but they sell for XYZ on ebay" and so I ask them why are they not selling it there in the first place?

When I was making armor for SCA fighters I used hear ,"but X makes them for" (about half what I charged) Then buy it from X.
"But yours are better." Another "trick" they used to try with stupid regularity was to agree to a price and when it was finished want to dicker. Finally I'd just tell them to either pay me or leave me alone.  When I started charging 50% up front and the rest on delivery nobody wanted any more.

I still have two helms and a set of basket hilts. Funny thing about one of the helms being, I give a lifetime guarantee, break it and I'll fix it. A guy brought the helm back to have it repaired but evidently forgot he never paid for it.

So, there's the rule. 50% up front, remainder COD. Time and materials projects are a variant of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

So this is mine but sorta off blacksmithing topic...    However I think it catches a theme here.

Had some friends over.   Showing the shop.   Forge running.  One lady wanted to weld something.   I have a MIG and figured she could point and shoot just fine.   It didn't weld well.   I figured it was bad metal.   It was some scrap junk stuff...   Later I realized I HAD NOT TURNED ON THE GAS!    Otherwise she could have point and shot just fine.

So I think a common theme above is that just when we want to show people what we do and how cool it really is...  something goes wrong to make it less cool.  

My learning then is that when we want to show people how cool it is we need to be extra careful and do what we know how to do.  Be extra thoughtful both for safety and technigue.   Show how professional we are.   Slow if need be and methodical...

So, there's the rule. 50% up front, remainder COD. Time and materials projects are a variant of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, 50% ahead of work and then no, not COD.

I deliver the work when the money is in my bank account. This means that I deliver one week or so after I received a cheque for the balance.

Of course the client agrees to this before we begin.

For small objects, like 2 fire pokers someone asked me last week, I forge them, send a pic of the objects and demand payment by Paypal at the same time. The objects are sent when the money is in my bank account which is 3 to 5 days after transfer from Paypal to my bank account.

I had the angle grinder wrench 2 seconds ago?!?!

Look down, it's imbedded in your side.

THE chuck key rule. Never, NEVER leave any chuck key/wrench in the chuck! Doing so is one of the few 86ing offenses a person can commit in my shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

86ing???

It means to be sent down the road, tossed out, dumped, flushed, down the drain, etc. It comes from the old TV program, "Get Smart" The main character was Maxwell Smart agent 86 who managed to screw up everything he did. So anything beyond recovery is 86ed. Being 86ed from my shop is getting banned for good.

Doing as Ronin suggests would be 86ing yourself. I've 86ed myself from a number of sites by forgetting my password. Ironically Lumosity is the  most recent, so much for improving my brain eh?

Frosty The Lucky.