I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

burgie, very nice stand. I'm right handed and I use mine with the horn pointed to the right. As has been mentioned, it's really your preference. I move around if I need to. You may even sit it up on end and use the shapes in the waist, feet etc.! As Glenn says, you bought the whole anvil, so you may as well use it ;)

Welcome to the forum

7 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Yup and that card board stand looks a little flimsy or that is a super light anvil.  

Are you sure this is even on earth?   I think those white things are breathing helmets.

lol. 

Blacksmith Magician!

20190106_110848.jpg

20190106_110042.jpg

49 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Yup and that card board stand looks a little flimsy or that is a super light anvil.  

Are you sure this is even on earth?   I think those white things are breathing helmets.

Milk crates are stronger than cardboard, but only just ... :P

Interesting how the anvil has offset anchoring lugs. 

And just in passing ... if you had your anvil on milk crates and worked on it like that, do you think the milk crate would collapse?

I believe you ... only I have never seen a Fisher anvil in the flesh. 

The question was tongue in cheek, of course eventually the crates will give in after flexing one time too many.

. I was hoping for a smart answer like ... the hammer blow is absorbed by the anvil so the base does not contribute to the system ... or words to that effect. :)

Gday guys, new around here and hoping to be doing some forging soon. Thought I'd share some pics of the "anvil" i built. I was going for the Brian Brazeal style die anvil in scrap mild steel. The steel is 160lbs, it is welded to a 20lb plate, bolted to about 10 feet of 4x4 doug fir and surrounded by 4 slabs of about 1.5 inch pine, 2.5 inch angle iron and about 60lbs of sand. In total it comes in somewhere around 300lbs.20191110_113643.thumb.jpg.31252d69ae4e1095323e8abe5c830a1f.jpg20191110_113432.thumb.jpg.c97c55abc00aebcb296a7faaad77eac0.jpg20191029_071156.thumb.jpg.21ab26822a10125df23d7a060716a741.jpg

Thanks mate. Its got a pretty dull thud, had to try it, so yeah it has a couple of dings in the top now, i'll learn.  When its really banged up some more ill get the grinder out again :) the neighbours love it.  I did make a video while i was building it but im pretty sure i cant post links here. If anyone wants to hear a rough accent while watching bad cinematography and someone who doesnt know what theyre doing let me know and ill pm you a link.