I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I just brought home my first anvil through a woman I bought a leg vise from on Facebook that happened to know my uncle. She had a Blacksmith friend from high school in his 70's who had a bad back and gave up the craft. He sold me a bunch of his supplies, including this good condition Hay Budden anvil! Somewhere around 120lbs, I need to clean it up a bit and see if the markings are visible. I'll update once I've done that, but at least the maker mark is visible from the start! 

Edit: I just noticed that my new anvil is even saying hello to me, AY BUD! 

IMG_20191104_200410093.jpg

433253635_ooAykuQR8Wo6rID6Vj74w_thumb_4d8f.thumb.jpg.bec60e4972c8485689d7ae0687652952.jpgT

This was my grandfather's anvil so has special significance for me.  It is a 104 lb Hay Budden.  Just getting into smithing.  My sweet wife bought me a HellFire forge for my birthday.  I am hoping this group can help me do this correctly.  Hoping to make Knifes, but starting off with hangers.  Still need a belt grinder too.

Back before we got married, but were engaged, my wife and I were fairly poor. I had noticed an anvil mentioned at a local garage sale and we went to look at it: 165# PW on a steel stand; US$100.  I was lusting after it in my heart; but that was a lot of money for us in those days.  My  wife to be told me "I think you should get it."  I did and still have her and it 35+ years later.

A decade or so later I was working a good job and we were much better off. Well I was sent to Germany for 90 days one summer to do an installation.  My family was going to spend 6 weeks visiting me over there and I was afraid my wife would go through her craft withdrawal and so I bought a spinning wheel for her at a local craft fair thinking she could use it and we'd sell it on when it was time to go. Ha! She told me she wanted it to go home with us and so I got to build a custom box for a very odd shaped and fragile object....Turn about is fair play.

(The anvil's stand I disliked and passed it on to another smith.)

Welcome aboard Ke4yub, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll discover how many members live within visiting distance. You'll learn more in an hour with an experienced smith than sometimes days to forever trying to figure it out yourself. A lot of things are regional, especially tools and materials, you  never know when a member here has a (something you lust after heavily!) getting in grandmother's way and needs someone to help get rid of. No joke more than one beginner in Alaska has turned out to live within 20 minutes of me.

Nice anvil, may we see more pictures please? 

I thrive on funny looks, normal is for the unimaginative. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Having a good old chuckle at where this thread has gone!

On 11/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, ke4yub said:

It is a 104 lb Hay Budden

That’s a beauty, is the top plate away? I reckon on your side of the pond you’ll have plenty places to get that fixed, if you need to. I don’t think there’s many companies over in the UK who would take the job on. 

I put a few bits of chain on mine and it really helps dampening it, yours has chains that BA Baracus would be proud of!  All the best with your projects!

While many machinists and welders over here will be happy to take that repair job on.  Probably 95% of them will do more damage than good as even highly trained and respected machinists and welders may know SQUAT about anvils! I have my anvils repaired only at anvil repair days held by ABANA affiliates using the Gunter/Schuler  process. So far I've hit one in Ohio and one in New Mexico and have appreciated the results.