I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Here Is my new sexy south german beast!!    I am far from normal and am abnormal excited about her sleek lines and excellent rebound!!!

The beer is a pint not a measly 12ozer!

I will post  more pictures in the show me your anvil section along with a rebound video (if I am smart enough to post a video )  it was Gooooooood !!!! 96%

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

Old Crew. Nice anvil for sure..  Have you done the test up the horn too? Most of the German anvils have the face plate to the tip of both horns.  I use a clear Acrylic tube the right size for the bearing. this way I don't have to chase the bearing.. :) some loss to friction probably. But when you hit a dead spot and there is nearly 0 bounce its really apparent. 

by the way that is a left handed anvil. That is so cool. :) 

Nice.  Marc1.. Ha, ha, ha.. that is funny. :)  

Hello...

New to the site and hope to learn more about the art of metalworking. here is my anvil with the stand I just completed last weekend. All repurposed materials. Wood is from discarded pallets, railroad spikes from the tracks behind my parent's house and the hammer holders are the old U-bolts from my 1996 Ford F-350 PSD 4x4 when I added helper springs on the front end 22 years ago (yes I saved them that long)...

Thanks...Burgie

Anvil_01.jpg

Anvil_02.jpg

Anvil_03.jpg

Anvil_04.jpg

Anvil_05.jpg

Anvil_06.jpg

Anvil_07.jpg

Anvil_08.jpg

Anvil_09.jpg

Anvil_10.jpg

I would put the hammer holders on the other sides as I often work right up to the stand.

Note: removal of RR spikes from RR property may be a felony where you are at; so we suggest not mentioning it on a public forum.  I have found that buying mine from my local scrapyard is a cost effective method of getting them when I need them.

Thomas,

In doing some reading it is my understanding that, as a right handed person, I would position myself such that the horn of the anvil is to my right...

As far as the spikes, I called to local railroad office when I was back home visiting and they said if the spikes are not attached to the timbers and just laying on the ballast I could take them...

Nevertheless, I'll edit my posts and profile...

Burgie; the way you orient your anvil depends on what you are doing. If you are making rings you may orient it pointing towards you! (As is shown in a 130 year old smithing book.)

If you are using a hardy a lot you probably do NOT want your hardy hole to be under your hammer hand!

I have an anvil I have been known to flip over so I can dish into the indentation in the base.

There is no ONE RIGHT WAY to do it.  There are a whole lot of One Book Wonders claiming that though.

Thomas makes some very good points.

If you have the anvil and stand loose so you can turn it then you can choose which ever way you need to.

Personally, I like my horn to the right and am right handed.

Traditionally the horn is opposite the handedness. Right to left and left towards right.

I spent about 10 years of the horn to my left and for making chain I still prefer it that way. 

But for nearly everything else I like it to the right.   this past year I did a competition making chain and it meant having to stand at the tip of the horn of efficient movement.