• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may want to remove the cover and check the inside of that welder. 

If the machine has a fan, at least clean the blades so it mores air more easily.

The welders usually come with spiders, wasps nests, and lots of dust.  The new spiders are what concern me as you do not know if they are friendly or not.

JHCC

Something to keep in mind if you want to use 7018 rod is that standard 7018 is DC only and welds like crap on AC.  They do make 7018 for AC though which works fairly well. I think the same is true of 6010 and 6011.

I had the same machine in the 80s and it worked well for my needs for a time. Eventually I upgraded to a DC machine, but for only $50 you have another tool in your arsenal, which is always good.

I finally looked in the blue container, which appears to have a couple dozen rods of 6013. Some of them look to be in pretty rough shape, so I think I’ll be using those for learning and practice. 

In other news, mail call!

Got another pair of old-school safety glasses (these with a strap) and a 6” ruler. 

3DCFC5D3-EEC0-4AC0-85F2-74359DED9188.jpeg

Which just happens to fit the Starrett center finding head I picked up in a box of other stuff a couple of months ago:

09CB4CD9-361C-4F77-82B7-8D9EBDD523F9.jpeg

(Okay, with a bit of filling and the addition of a convenient washer, but who’s counting.)

On 3/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, JHCC said:

A welcome addition to the shop, especially at only $50!

I have used one of these on the job for over a decade now, as reliable as the sunrise!! I'ld rather run it than the mig machine I also have at my disposal. Nice find for the price!! 

More Boston roadkill....galvanized nut, and a piece of stainless. I think the stainless was ripped off of hardscape bench or planter wall...they install stuff like this at the wall joints to deter skateboarders from doing tricks/sliding along the top outside edge of the wall.117518E4-D8AF-4EC7-9CFD-E83EC0D6DF65.thumb.jpeg.c8513485947ccfe041d294b4e41b4114.jpeg

"Skate stoppers," they're called around here. Started turning up after my generation learned how to shredd. They end up causing more damage to the city though; us delinquents would just bring a crowbar with us on each sesh. Couldn't 50/50 or 5-o grind after the concrete would come off with it, but nose and tail slides were still viable. Sk8 or die!

Millennial? As a teen, my friends and I were responsible for several signs being put up in parks/parking lots. They also implemented a law in the village that skateboarding was banned on the whole north side of the RR tracks. Cops would stop you and take your board if they saw you stand on it.. The man tryin' to keep us down, man. lol. 

Those were the days. I can still heel flip with my steel toed boots on and it's been years since I skated around everywhere. Made a cool party trick at college. The best part about skateboarding is you learn how to fall.

I don't see many skateboards anymore.. a few long boards (lame) and occasionally one of those electric long boards (super lame)... Oh well..

Haha yessir, '89. Oh yeah, cops would take it if they could keep up! lol. All the burbs tried to ban it everywhere you went and would say, "look, we built you this nice skate park with steel ramps and halfpipes for you to play on." Problem was, we learned how to skate jumping staircases and loading docks, grinding concrete ledges and handrails with our small groups. You want me to wait in line on a halfpipe only to drop in and smash into a little kid who cant move in his bodysuit of safety pads? Get real. Some would have a nice bowl to skate, but again, too many kiddies crying at the bottom because they collided with another one. 

Yeah, gimme them skate stoppers and take my wax. 

Nice class of 89.  I also skated hardcore.  Kick flips off loading docks, built huge number of street ramps, rail slid handrails;  that’s how I learned skills to build house and cabin. Good memories.  Then came snowboarding mt baker wa.

The best skatepark I had near me growing up drew in too many bikers. Those guys take up a lot of room and in the event that you find yourself on a collision course with a guy on a bike, you better get out of the way. No one really wins in that scenario, but you are definitely going to get the worst of it. It was much more fun to go find good spots out in the wild, so to speak.

I've been working a lot in the garage getting it ready for the chimney to be installed and the subsequent move into the new house (getting close!). Anyway, back when I tore out the loft I found this ~1.5# bar of mystery steel hidden away up there. I finally remembered to bring it back with me at the end of the day to try to figure out what it might be. Lo and behold, the spark test suggests WI. It may not have followed me home, but it's certainly going to stay there! I foresee a steeled ~2# hammer in my future.

3729099_IMG_2021-03-11_19-29-551.jpeg.76f28e7013ef5b10ab8399d612822c1a.jpeg

I've been skating for 37 years. That's a skate stopper all right. Nothing a cold chisel can't remove from your favourite ledge. I have no idea what type of steel they're made from though. I know the fastener they use to attach them are pretty tough but as I said a cold chisel makes short work of them. Two whacks per fastener, or so I've heardB)

Pnut

Pnut that’s interesting you are still skating.  My prime was 89. I skated some of these concrete skateparks with my kids, but local youth had that who is the old bald guy look.  I could still olley ok but not knee high. Knee surgery 6 years ago after bike accident ended skating.  Started running for recovery 5 years ago.  Just turned 50 years old and I trail run with my wife 10 miles a week; best thing I have ever done.

10 hours ago, Will-I-am said:

Nice class of 89.

Born in '89 actually haha class of '07! Although I took a couple woods classes in school, skating totally taught me the "if you want it, build it if you can" mentality. We called them boxes: 10'x8' rectangles of plywood and 2"x4"s with ramps in the middle. Angle iron the corners and start a game of S.K.A.T.E on the driveway. 

Frazer, nice find! Hope you can forge it into the hammer; that's on my list of "one-day"s too.