Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

Looks to be in good shape. All it should need is lubrication and a nice turned wood handle

Well,   that is all it took. Functions like it should. Can't complain for $50...

postdrill4.jpg

This bottle was setting in an old house I bought earlier this summer, I was up there meeting with my contractor and I drug it out an threw it in truck just a little while ago

took it to get it filled am buy a cap for it lucked out an it still was about half full so didn’t even cost all that much to fill up!!

IMG_9920.jpeg

Lol 

we’re finding all kinds of odds an ends there 

lots of newspapers from over a hundred years ago are among the coolest things so far! 

the bottle will come in handy, I’ve got a around 8 of the grill size bottles but they don’t last very long with my heaters

the girl who fill this one up says it hold around 24 gallons and the grill size holds 4.7

My house was built in 1920, so I do understand completely.  things are almost, but not quite square.  Choices were made that make you think "What the heck were they doing".  We recently decided to insulate the attic.  Prior insulation was about a half inch of dust.

On the other hand.  I'd rather pay for improvement projects than pay a bank on a loan.  

OOOH Vintage antique insulation!:wub: I'll bet you could sell in online.:rolleyes: To quote P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute." Of course dust is nicer than if not as good an insulation as a solid layer of rodent droppings. A high school friend's attic where he stored his Grandfather's Trans Oceanic radio. 

The radio didn't work but every supermarket had a tube tester and once we strung an antenna we got to listen to the whole world on that old receiver. It's funny what brings back good memories sometimes.

Frosty The Lucky. 

My great-grandfather wrote in his memoirs about using a cat-whisker radio at the mission in Alaska. He was always amused at how much better he was informed about European politics than were folks down in the lower 48, since he was listening to the European news broadcasts that came in clear as a bell over the Arctic.

I wonder at the treasure trove we left behind when dad passed.  All because of flat ignorance and dad was an electrical engineer.  I kept a few things because I thought they were neat as a kid, but I have no idea what they are.

I remember as a teenager using the CB radio a few hours before dawn, in front of a friends house, we could pick up California truckers with atmospheric skip.  friends house was stucco, therefor it had a chikenwire shell.  that made a difference.

Everybody I knew had a CB and that was before single sideband was the norm so we only annoyed folk fairly close. Breaker 1 9 got your ears on Tiki Torch? Hey all you ratchet jaws out there, 10-5 Frosty's 10-20 and tell the Tiki Torch to get back!

Good Grief I couldn't remember much 10 code so looked it up and HOLY MOLY is there a lot we never used or knew about! No wonder we got yelled at for making up our own 10 codes!

Frosty The Lucky. 

We had a mechanic at a dealership I worked at that was a CB fanatic. He had a linear amplifier connected to his CB in his truck that would boost the power to something like 1000 watts. That was in the early 70s when ECM computers were new technology in cars. He could drive down US 1 key the mike and shut down any car near with an ECM.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

I had a coup!e suits from the FCC visit the job site and made me shut down my GPS base. We had to update our old and now restricted frequency range.

Thought it weird because this unit didn't transmit more than a mile or 2 and they discovered it somehow. Was in town so I figured it something to do with aircraft

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

you could listen to folk from all over the world. I assume it was from all over, many spoke languages I couldn't recognize let along understand.

There was a point when I was younger where my guitar amp started picking up shortwave radio. It was really freaky at first. Something did end up going wrong with it and I got it fixed. No more phantom talking out of my amp after that. 

Those of us who remember LP records may also recall how the older amplifiers would sometimes pick up CB broadcasts, often at quite startling times. My dad had a story of one lazy afternoon in his youth as he was listening to some soothing piece of classical music when he was jerked awake by his stereo barking out, "OKAY, SANTA CLAUS! TURN AROUND!"

That's be an attention getter. 

A school friend elementary through high school, Ralph was a proven genius but his Grandfather was smarter with 40+ years experience. We launched balloons with radio trackers and electronically controlled cameras, launched model rockets in the desert, in general had a blast from Jr - senior high. Ralph started drifting away from the gang and was as far as I know the only high school kid with his own ruby laser. His Grandfather was a pretty high level laser researcher.

His Grandfather basically examined, tested and pointed out mistakes he didn't so much as make suggestions. He also liked telling stories about radio weirdness like receiving signals through dentures, old AM receivers, etc. He was an inspirational guy.

So, Ralph built a bread board laser and when he discovered that shining it on TV antennas disrupted the reception he figured out how to build in a transmitter. We'd sit in his "attic" bedroom workshop with out telescopes while he'd play blooper or worse recordings on other people's TVs we could see through windows. The "messages from above" were often the best.

His Grandfather straightened our misinterpretation of the law out as soon as he found out. We thought FCC couldn't charge us because we weren't "broadcasting." That turned out to be wrong and we were flirting with Federal charges and so ended the fun.

That fun anyway.

Frosty The Lucky.