• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, JHCC said:

be in the hammer-buying

Love it.  hanging a new handle is such the rewarding activity.  

I often throw to the side nice straight grained firewood when it pops up.  then when bored will rough shape into rectangles, waiting for its new home.  

can never have too many hammers.  just look at my avatar... even if many of those were hung in a hurry with whatever branch I could find, LOL.  I call them " future projects."

Back in September, I noted (here) that I’d picked up a bucket of rollers that was left over from a neighbor’s yard sale. Today, I discovered this at the bottom of that bucket:

IMG_7946.thumb.jpeg.9aac0a29f67a74dc30ae668131981fc8.jpeg

This appears to be a Cleco B1 Scaler from the Cleveland Pneumatic Tool Company. A little digging online tells me that the little lug on top is for securing an adapter that converts it from a chisel-type scaler to a needle scaler. Kinda cool, and fun to find. 

(Addendum: a little more digging tells me that this scaler is still made and the adapter is still available.)

Needle scalers aren't really for much but removing welding slag or fire scale. Oh and use LOTS of air. I picked one up at a yard sale a few years ago and only rarely hook it up. It IS good for scuffing concrete for tooth if you're going to use an adhesive on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Considering that I don’t have a compressor (other than a little tankless one for pumping up tires), the needle adaptor, or money for either in the shop budget, I’ll probably put it out on my tailgating table next Quad-State. In the meantime, I’ll clean it up and admire its midcentury industrial aesthetic. 

14 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

How can ya survive without one.:D That scaler looks a lot like one we used when I was in the USCG a lot of years ago.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Ahhh yes, got fond memories of chasing rust with a needle gun on them pretty white hulls! :lol:

Semper Paratus

Pretty nice Pedro. I THINK I can see the tool holder, how about pics of the goodies you got with it. Hopefully you got some bits too. Don't expect to use carbide bits, there is rarely room to adjust the holder. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There are other gears on the lathe. I got the screw running and all seems good. I know it is not much more than a toy as far lathes go but thats why I got it , to play with. I am super happy with it so far but it needs a solid mount
IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.9f5d5e78a306a7bc3649de4733984633.jpeg

That's a nice lathe for the price and what came with it.  Some people collect and rebuild small ones, I used to.  It's worth more than that.

I walk by this thing at my favorite junk shop quite often.  He want's $10 for it but I can't see it.  Not much money but still.  The motor is burned out.   Sitting outside in the elements.   Split phase is junk anyhow.  It has some interesting design aspects.  A testament to do it yourself on a budget.

c1_20231229_10002254.thumb.jpeg.e170ae636669a319b548298c5cb119a0.jpeg

Split phase? Google is giving me the impression it's a confusing version of single phase. 

$10, is that his offer to haul it to the dump for him? I don't see anything I like about it.

Then again I might be going through a negative phase. Maybe I'm 180 out of phase? Good grief I shouldn't have Googled split phase!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

The next day, I went back for a couple of things I’d spotted but neglected to buy. First, a cute little measuring tool, with a caliper in imperial and metric, a tapered bore gauge, and (on the other side) a 5" ruler.

IMG_8102.thumb.jpeg.a99ef7962fb5729206b98d93893acf21.jpeg

And you can’t beat the price on the Roper Whitney No. 5 Jr:

IMG_8105.thumb.jpeg.6e0a93cb20828e3d68f3b981c0670656.jpeg

(The hammer and square punch were on the $1 table.)

gewoon ik, it's a manual sheet metal punch. The little pieces at the bottom of the case are punches and their matching bolsters that are installed in the punch as needed for a particular job. (Note: each punch pin has a tiny point in the center, to help align the holes precisely.) The lever action of the handles produces an enormous amount of force; in this case, up to 1.2 imperial tons (1.219 metric tonnes). The combination of great force and the precise fit between the punch and the bolster makes a very clean hole in the metal, much cleaner, faster, rounder, and more precise than drilling with a twist bit.

Buying one of these beauties new usually costs $100-$140 USD; just a replacement set of punches and bolsters is about $70. Used, they're typically around $50 or more, especially if you're getting it shipped from somewhere. 

This probably wouldn't be particularly useful to someone who doesn't do much sheet metal work, but I've been doing more and more over the last few years, and so I think it might come in very handy. If not, I should be able to sell it at a reasonable profit and buy some more steel and propane.

In the mean time, I think I may fabricate a bracket to hold it in the vise. Roper Whitney sells such an item, but why pay for what I can build?

Depends on the metal. The largest punch in my set is 1/4" (the 9/32" is missing). According to the standard punching tonnage chart (see below), the No. 5 Jr's 1.2 tons will safely punch a 1/4" hole in 20ga high carbon or stainless steel, 18ga A36 steel, 16ga mild steel, 14ga brass, 12ga copper, and 10ga aluminum.

zCUAXk6dGmzVHuAndAoczpEpZLG7Y2Mw8jnwEO7p0MR6sFLnOVTPyavQuxsTERfTzOoIr2qVBpncEmub3S-GTf02RNkYKuhRtXm8Weaee2xIFBH50fxQXANQ9K9NH-Kk0JVvAGPq3Xhk-Zas87cXl8s

(NB: this chart is copied from the website of the American Machinery Company. That's a commercial site, which is why I'm not providing a link. However, I'm fairly sure it's also in Machinery's Handbook and other such references.)

*In this case, "safely" means that the calculated tonnage for a particular size hole is less that the 1.2 tons produced by the punch. For example, a 1/4" hole in 12ga copper requires 1.09 tons (2.09 tons x 0.52 conversion factor), whereas the same 1/4" hole in 10ga copper requires 1.4 tons (2.69 x 0.52) and thus is outside the punch's rated capacity.