• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I brought a couple scrap shafts and some injection machine draw bars home:

IMG_0688.jpeg.4c100b66dea82c98235294c30043dd32.jpeg

The stepped shaft is 1-1/2” to 1” diameter and the other is 1” diameter. The draw bars are 50mm and 30mm diameters, but only sparked as mild steel. (The stepped shaft and bearings went to “iron in a hat” at today’s hammer-in.)

Keep it fun,

David

Got a call from a friend wanting to clear some scrap. Also had some out of date co2 bottles needing gone from her bar. Most of the co2 bottles are full. I know I could use them as shielding gas for welding so I might get a gauge to use them. Mainly was in it for the bottles themselves. 

20231112_212400.thumb.jpg.f2168d39e5c897044dc607a3d220d91a.jpg

20231112_212342.thumb.jpg.7fd88d0880d1fdcb68ffffcf3952f1b1.jpg

20231112_212407.thumb.jpg.6d40b9170d421e78f31840523867e4ee.jpg

Around here, customer owned gas bottles are exchanged when empty and in one case, I had a CO2 bottle but wanted CO2/argon for my MIG welder and the gas people took the empty CO2 bottle and gave a full CO2/argon bottle.  So you may be able to get the gas you need without paying for a bottle.  Otherwise you have some good bell stock.

I just got them so I'm in no rush to ultimately decide what I will do with them. A little more research will determine their fate. Some of the small ones that are empty might end up bells. I still have two bells that haven't sold yet.  One from a tank and another aluminum one from a fire extinguisher. The aluminum one from the fire extinguisher with a wooden clapper has a nice deep soft tone. I would like to find more of those. I have thought of talking to someone at a fire extinguisher company that supplies and checks them, just haven't got around to it yet. 

Yeah, wasn't saying there were none around just all kinda farther like pittsburgh and around that distance as far as my search showed. I am located closer to 3 rivers that connect but it seems all the listed dive shops are 30-45 minutes away. Could always make some calls first. 

Not making excuses, just that I can't get out like a free man like I used to without anger or retribution. Some day...

I imagine this had been a scenario for several on here before.  I found a previously forgotten gem while cleaning today. A brace and bit reamer. I have not seen a lot of these, but I apparently saved it years ago.  I am looking forward to using this on hot steel to take full advantage. 

IMG_6521.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

I was speaking with a blacksmiths shop near me about finding a power hammer and was offered this. Apparently it had been given to them by somebody and they had no use for it and so they gave it to me. 

I had planned on getting a fly press at one point, and I know it's not the same, but I plan to make some dies up for it to hopefully accomplish pretty much the same thing.

20231120_140605.jpg

Cool finds Scott!

On 11/19/2023 at 4:23 PM, BsnNFrnt said:

I am looking forward to using this on hot steel to take full advantage. 

The reamers, deburring or burr bits are hardened steel and using one on hot metal might draw temper on it, softening it and making it useless for the intended use of chamfering the edge of a hole in metal.