• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A buddy who does canvas and leather work made this for me. A leather art portfolio. He made it from an off hand musing I had about wanting something fireproof to hold my notebook while at the forge. When he posted it on social media he got a bunch of orders from other artists, so I'm glad my musings have helped him out.

20201221_110757.jpg.be4f300ece8e8686ec52a15314295ea2.jpg

20201221_110743.jpg.c607e0b12a2f13fe0a63c125b3a70553.jpg

Edited by Shabumi
Corrected spelling

Field geologists could use a variation of it to great effect!  (Another possible market and perhaps more $$ than artists.)

Of course nowadays they are buying more and more "armoured" laptops (and finding ever more ingenious ways to render them kaput!---so it resists shocks and full immersion in water---what if I drop it in an active volcano???)

Thomas:  It is very nice but still doesn't have any feature to prevent from being left on the outcrop along side the Brunton compass, rock hammer, acid bottle, hardness kit, hand lens, and the other field notebook.  I have always thought that a feature that set off a siren and sent up flares if left alone for longer than 5 minutes would pay for itself.  Maybe today a wireless gadget could be attached to the item and a corresponding unit to a geologist's belt and if they were separated by more than X distance an alarm would sound.

I have found more than 1 rock hammer left behind by a previous geologist.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

When I was doing field camp one summer in west Texas; I found an animal skull under a bluff face that had been signed by a summer field camp from the 1920's.  Really neat.  So I signed and dated it, 1980, and carefully put it back where I had found it and never told anyone until we were 100+ miles away...Hopefully someone else will find it someday.

I really like the leather portfolio . . . Wallet(?) What size spiral notebook is that? 

I'm thinking a buckle, or(?) closure would be nice and a way to clip it to a belt of carry strap. 

I'm thinking that's a darned marketable product.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome portfolio, shabumi! Your buddy is going places.

JHCC, nice find! I had given up on FB marketplace because of the high asking prices compared to craigslist (at least in my area). I might have to be a little more patient.

Today what followed me home is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. A 5' prybar, 1"x1" thick! (?) The special ergonomic edition for hard to reach places! What madman did this? More importantly, how??

IMG_20201222_183722.thumb.jpg.892c0f76d63431f1fb163f6ed9e53660.jpgIMG_20201222_183836.jpg.637b60f642b66e6b061d146d19333db9.jpg

My best guess is that someone wanted to tear down a really, REALLY sturdy post, used this prybar as a hook with chain on either end, and pulled with a truck, but the post won. Only reason I can come up with why it's bent the wrong way (you'd expect a prybar to be bent WITH the direction of the prying end, not opposite it!). If that's true, I really want to see the post that won against 1" square steel bar.

On the bright side, I won't be shy for hardy tool stock for decades! I really wish I had access to a milling machine about now.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Wallet(?) What size spiral notebook is that? 

More book size. The whole thing folded up is 12"x8.5". A buckle would be nice, it has a thin leather string to tie it closed.

Twigg, thanks I'll pass on your compliment. That pry bar looks like a nice score. You would be surprised what you can bend with a long enough cheater bar and a "I WILL get it" attitude 

Thanks, Twigg. One thing I've learned is that deals are where you find them, so I keep a pretty close eye on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and the website for my local industrial surplus place. If something pops up that I need and have the money for, I'll nab it as quickly as possible. Sometimes that means grabbing things for cheap that I know I can resell at a decent profit, which definitely helps fund the hobby.

Found this on my porch yesterday morning. 58 square feet of cermic blanket and a block brush. I need a triple wall stove pipe and can not find one the size i need with out putting a big dent in the wallet. While complaining about it one day a friend said to me "You do know what i do for a living dont you?" Well he works sheet metal, specifically ducts and stove pipes. (yes an overlooked resource, guess i should have used TPASPAT)Anyway we came to the conclusion that bying the supplies and having him assemble it for me would be the cheapest route. The blanket is 1" x 24" x 20', i only need a 3' x 5' piece so i should be able to recoup some moneys by selling what is left. I will end up with a pipe that cost maybe 1/10 of what one costs. 

20201224_174817.thumb.jpg.b0d67a50f4abcb313093dc752e2bd39d.jpg

My wife and santa were good to me this year.

20201225_125158.thumb.jpg.4538996a7edb23dbb2683bd3ac2ce144.jpg

I'd gotten one of the HF Titanium multi-process welders secondhand recently.  Now I can finally start trying to weld some Aluminum!

20201225_125151.thumb.jpg.d57773e4793b900c05b204c08ba82f6c.jpg

Asked for the chisel set so I had some references for making my own.  Cape, round, and diamond chisels.  Also a carbide scriber for marking metal.

20201225_125807.thumb.jpg.dcaf7d2d3934362d27b21da755dddf68.jpg

Steve's book was in my stocking.  Glanced through the majority of it today.

20201225_125346.thumb.jpg.73a2788f007241bbe1fa223283b24000.jpg

Sander wasn't on my list, but was appreciated.  Other stuff was to help with the welding endeavor.

20201225_125305.thumb.jpg.d318067258d783cf9d2ec2d40ce039ea.jpg

Apparently Santa couldn't bring this gift inside (I have a 6 year old, I do things to try and keep the magic alive).

20201225_125317.thumb.jpg.5fbc1273c5ca006adaf321cf2bd1167d.jpg

Now I see why he didn't bring it inside.  1 Bag of Rice Coal, the other 4 are Nut size Anthracite.  Got some to try it out.  Still unsure whether this means I'm on Santa's naughty or nice list, though.

If santa is bringing you coal, it's good to be on the naughty list. Tho anthracite isnt the most fun to forge with it will work. Fun stuff. 

I got jerky to try. Buffalo, salmon, kangaroo and some fun flavors in beef I've never tried. 

My brother got me a hf 4"x36" &6" belt and disc sander. He does a lot of thrifting and got it almost brand new second hand. ( knowing him, for a good price lol).  Has everything just not attached yet. Anyway I don't have one but could definitely use it. It'll get some use in the shop. 20201225_235214.thumb.jpg.9235a71f6aa4d8ef25a55669223ee961.jpg

Looks like Santa was a little thirsty and snagged a couple of your ales on the way out. Nice score.

Das, my lady of the estate works as a manager at a thrift store. Not a lot of guy stuff ends up there but she did score me a "Shop Smith" zippo that is early 70's. I do get lots of work cloths and that is a plus. 

A friend gave me some scrap he had laying around.  It'll take a bit to figure out what to do with the disk brake but the drum could be the start of my first coal forge.  But the big part is that I now have my shop to bring stuff to.

Now to layout and upgrade the electrical.  I also am looking at the safety aspect.  Wood and cardboard are probably not going to be the best around sparks.  

20201227_091721.jpg

20201227_091735.jpg

20201227_091751.jpg

20201227_091758.jpg

20201227_091832.jpg

20201227_091835.jpg

20201227_091841.jpg

20201227_091852.jpg

that brake rotor is from the rear. You can tell becuase there are no cooling fins (solid not hollow) and the top hat design. It is dished deeper for the parking brake shoes. I point this out becuase i have used both the drum and rotor for a forge and i much prefer the rotor. I burnt the bottom out of a drum becuase they are much thinner metal than the rotor. The dish is smaller in diameter but the depth is usually about the same. Relative to the size of vehicle they are made for that is. You wont find both top hats and drums on the same vehicle. Both are for the rear brakes. But the smaller dish is easier for me to build a more concentrated fire ball in. Try them both and see which you prefer. 

I agree with Billy that a rear rotor that was setup for drum style e-brake is way better than a drum. I've found that between 8-9" diameter on the inner "pot" and between 2-3"deep work better. The rotor outer part works well to hold it in a hole in a forge table. 

End-of-year trip to the industrial surplus place. Got a gear reducer for my wood-to-metal bandsaw conversion, a small granite block for layout work, a nice hefty jigsaw, and an old (and somewhat temperamental) tool cart. 

4EE8BF45-FDD8-48CF-8529-D02122F694E6.jpeg

One of the unwritten rules of the place is that if you buy a cabinet or a chest or something with drawers, you also get whatever is inside. In this case, that meant that I also got a whole bunch of bits and pieces, including a block of aluminum, a drill bit or two, some wire nuts, and two grinding wheel dressers. 

What did NOT follow me home (because they both had “sold” tags already) was either of the two anvils that I must have missed when they first appeared on the website. Looks like a ~150lb. no-name and a ~100lb. Colombian. Someone got a pretty decent deal. 

1D8B79CF-6264-4C69-9690-C8C9F4402AE6.jpeg