• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Goods said:

hammer-ins are cancelled for November and December

Was this perhaps the Vernon group? It was posted on the IBA website a couple of days ago. I did travel down to Odon and pick up some good smithin' coal yesterday for just under 17 cents a lb.   Life is Good      Dave

3 hours ago, Owen Hinsman said:

without damaging me or my tools?

Best to take it to a mechanic with the proper tool (spring compressor) to do the job. There is a Lot of dangerous energy bound up in that compressed spring and even the cheap spring compressors are iffy with experience let alone without. I tend to avoid the assemblies and just go for the already freed springs. And I have the spring compressor tools plus have access to a better one at work.  I prefer to only use them when I Need to for repairing a car. Also that looks like one of the awkward ones that like to slip in the tool. 

But yeah, best to take it to a mechanic to take apart if you really want the spring. 

Star drills should be at least  medium carbon steel or better!  They need to maintain the edge being whacked into stone or concrete.  When I added the walls to the carport to make my wife's studio; I did all the holes with a star drill, 2000 blows per hole.  I dressed the striking end a lot more frequently that the cutting end.

These followed me home in the last 10 days:

BS Road kill picked up just past a railway crossing - broken leaf spring is 5/16" by 2" stock still with factory paint.

Various tools from the local Restore $2 each. As a curiosity the 6" adjustable wrench was made for a farrier supply business.

Not shown, the $5 handled cold chisel, hand forged with ~2" wide cutting edge. Nor some the metal pieces from some horse drawn farm equipment I've been given permission to salvage.

FMH 2020-11-15 BS Road Kill.jpg

FMH 2020-11-15 Tools.jpg

FMH 2020-11-15 Adj Wrench 2.jpg

The "Shaker" was called that because he had to give the drill steel a shake to break it loose from the cuttings so it would turn. You could hear the drill steel rattling in the hole, you couldn't hear it being turned.

The sound of the drill steel being shaken was part of the "hammer song" sung at the stope. ( or face being drilled for explosives to advance the mine or tunnel.) Hammer songs had a broad, steady tempo and helped keep everybody's timing in sync. A number of hymns were popular at the stope as well but I can't think of any right now. Probably will as soon as I submit this. Eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Doesn't look broken off to me there is a wide range of how long the beards were in axes for various tasks.  The vinegar soak and brushing should show if there was a steeled edge to it and how much is left. Note needs to be totally immersed if any sticks out there will be an etched line forming there.

If you have trouble getting a container to soak it in: 4 pieces of 2x4, a couple of nails and a plastic bag to drape over the form works . 

Good trip to the industrial surplus place today: four rolls (2” x 50 yards) of 180 grit aluminum oxide belting, a small oil can, and three boxes (50 each) of 2” x 72” belts in 120 grit (aluminum oxide again). Those last won’t fit my own grinder, but I figure they’ll be good for resale.

Also stopped by Airgas and got a new pair of decent welding gloves. 

572516A7-BC1A-469E-B7C3-B55E24BA7DB6.jpeg

John, how much do you want for a box?  I hope to have my 2x72 powered up  within my lifetime!

(Just changed light bulbs in the high ceilinged room, carried the ladder from the shop to the house and tried to figure out how to fit it in between the boxes for both the ceiling fan fixtures, fixed the lighting fixture in the kitchen too.  More light for a S.A.D. wife!)

Stopped in at my steel supplier this morning to check out their drop bin and was delighted to find a large supply of rectangular bar stock in 3/8” x 3/4” and 1/4” x 1-1/4” (round, angle, and tube are much more common).  It turns out that they’d been doing inventory and found a place where a hole in the roof had let in the rain, which rusted up a lot of stock. Their loss is my gain!

I love the drop bin. It's where I get most of my steel actually. There's a problem with scraptors stealing everything so I don't keep much on hand. Unfortunately no one has ordered any high carbon in a long time and they won't order it unless it's for a commercial order so I only have mystery hardenable steel at the moment. Iirc they charge between forty and seventy cents a pound. I'm going to have to make a trip soon. 

Pnut