• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, after over a year of the Lithuanian nightmare... wife told me to go ahead.   So today I got my new toy from Majestic forge.  It is called the Two Burner Multi-Purpose, and I am looking forward to giving it a go.  Gotta put it together first, but this should be fun.

New Forge in house.jpg

Gee Ben, that looks awful new and purty to me. What do you call that color on the inside? Nothing in my shop that color. I forget the forum but folk called such necessities, "Toyls." 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Spent the day helping my little brother clean his garage.

He gave me a drill press, a 6" bench vise, 20 or 30 some files, and a toolbox they were in. Along with a bunch of firewood.

On the way home, I picked up my belt sander from my buddy. A long day, but great one!

20200614_232501.jpg

Nice when your son works in the heavy metal industry and brings home goodies like these bearing balls. The large ones are 40mm in diameter. A quick estimation (4x pi x 2x2x2 and divide by 3) would make a volume of about 34 cubic centimetres. That's enough high carbon steel to make a good long knife! And lots of scrap art possibilities:

balls.JPG

While I do not have any pictures, a new welder and auto-darkening helmet followed me home, they are both Hobart products! I am pumped to be able to use the welder to create new tooling and expand what I can make....hopefully my welding skills get better soon :lol:

-GolFisHunt - That is a really nice looking vise, whats the jaw size and weight? I have a post vise that looks extremely similar, do you know the maker? Or are there any visible markings? 

No pix, but the mail lady followed me in my driveway with my signed, dated and numbered (#108) copy of "The history of Fisher&Norris Eagle Anvil Works" by Joshua Kavett. Initial perusal looks pretty good. Thanks Josh!

Steve

Marcus_Airelius,

It was suggested by the previous owner, a very knowledgeable gentleman and dear friend, that it is a Peter Wright. No markings whatsoever. The jaws are 5 1/2". I haven't weighed it, but guessing around #75. It was a pleasant chore hoisting it out of the treasurer trove. Here it is all cleaned up.

IMG_20200617_145645565.jpg

GolFisHunt,

Excellent, I originally thought I had a Peter Wright as well. Only recently I was able to positively identify mine as made by New London Vise Works of Connecticut. The shop was operated by a blacksmith named Joseph Hyde, it closed down in 1925. I have only seen one other picture of one of these vises, that is why I asked. I will post pictures of own vise when I get the chance. 

Besides small differences, the two vises look vastly similar.

Thanks for the reply,

Mark

Swung by the industrial surplus place today and got this interesting cart in the hope of using it for a hammer rack:

7EBC1C5D-4531-411D-B7E4-DB2B6491BFE5.jpeg

Although it turns out to be a bit big for the space:

AB9CF818-70D2-449B-A723-A71D23522AC7.jpeg

Also stopped at a garage sale and got a bin full of files and a hammer:

1B4DA71E-4C87-4304-91C0-7BD8A2670E35.jpeg

The files turned out to be quite a good selection (if rather dusty), including a number of knife-edged files. 

15ED3FC1-06BE-4432-B99C-AAA57DA045CC.jpeg

All told, a good day’s haul for about $35. Now to figure out what to do about the rack....