• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the bank today, and as I was leaving there was a mudflap laying in the intersection. Complete with the bracket, and hardware.  Woo Hoo!  Free steel!

I grabbed it, got it back to the house and took it apart. I now have 30" of 5/8" square stock, and about 40" of 3/16x1.25" flat stock. 5 Stainless 5/16" bolts, lock nuts, and 10 flat washers. along with 4 of the thin hanger straps.

I'll give the nice looking Peterbilt mud flap to my neighbor to go on his dump truck.

You're pretty brave jumping into the intersection to retrieve some scrap steel.......

Headline in the newspaper the next day..."Desperate blacksmith killed while picking up scrap steel in road intersection". LOL

On 5/4/2020 at 1:09 PM, ThomasPowers said:

-and singing old musical tunes with my collection of singing potato chips!

I have one that looks  like a reincarnated Carol Channing. I might send it your way so you can collaborate on a duet if it doesn't start pulling it's weight around here. 

Pnut

A long-backordered blade for my horizontal bandsaw blade finally arrived, and I realized that I ordered a 1/4" wide blade instead of 1/2". Wondering if it's worth exchanging or if I should just use this one for as long as it lasts.

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

A long-backordered blade for my horizontal bandsaw blade finally arrived, 

Not if you want straight cuts. You MIGHT get away with it if you set the feed pressure to nearly nothing. I couldn't find 3/4" blades and tried a 1/2" one and it wandered all over just before jamming and breaking. 

Buy a bunch of blades, I get them online for about 40% of the local price and have much wider choice of TPI and steel type, I use monosteel blades mostly but keep a few carbide bi-metal blades. The price break is at 12 blades. I'll need to go look at the box in the shop, I don't recall the outfit.

Frosty The Lucky.

My bandsaw is pretty small, and only takes a 1/2" blade. That has been known to wander, and I think the 1/4" is likely to be worse. I think I'll see if I can send it back and do an exchange.

It's annoying, though. I ordered this thing so long ago that when I got the email alert that I had a shipment on the way from Amazon, I had to stop and think what I'd ordered!

Set the blade guides as close to the work as possible.  Lubricate the blade to wash out the scarf and also allow the blade to run more smoothly through the metal.  Depending on the blade, use a saw set to adjust the thickness of the kerf so the teeth can do their job.

It unfollowed me home?  Sold an old junked propane tank a church member had given me. Originally planned to take it down to the other house where my Pastor down there was a big brisket smoker fan to make his own suitable for the entire church.  That plan fell through and the propane tank was in the way to run electricity to the shop. So I put it on craigslist yesterday afternoon and was loading it on the buyer's trailer this morning at 7:15 am, along with an old cast iron forge and a blower that needed a stand.

Bye Bye:

propanetank3.jpg.c455aad691c9af9fbe5cbe369b1c37a6.jpg