I Forge Iron

It followed me home

An old garden rake head hung on the shop wall will hold a nice bunch of golf ball handled files keeping them separate and not touching.

(One of the things I pick up on a regular basis at the scrapyard. On some I forge the tines to a bit more of a curve, or cut or forge down every other tine, etc to hold different tools.)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/30/2019 at 5:26 PM, Ben Hoover said:

I know not to mess with the  tool dies, I am going to use them as a poor man's swage for the  moment.  I THINK the quarter by half inch steel he gave me (about fifteen to twenty foot long sticks of it) are tool steel.

But those pins?  I have not a single clue what they are.  Any ideas?

I agree that the studs are Nelson studs. I'm not say they are not galvanized, but I would be surprised if they were since they are usually welded to structural members.

It looks like some of the other stuff is shim packs and weld backers bar. Depending on the type of connection they sometime send loose material to fill gaps for either a snug fit or to make it easier to field weld. I would also say the are probably A36 and not higher carbon steel.

Got this post vise for $80. No markings on it other than 50 so we got the original weight. Acme screw and nut seem in good order(maybe short?) . Jaws do not line up. About 3/16 off. Some of that is the pivot bolt. Leg is a touch bent, so going into need to work on that. Unusual features are the square head pivot bolt and square nut, amd that the pivot mount plates are riveted not welded. If any of you fine folk have guesses or info about it let me know. 

20191002_221710.jpg

20191002_222108.jpg

20191002_220822.jpg

20191002_221511.jpg

20191002_221603.jpg

On 10/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Fowllife said:

I agree that the studs are Nelson studs.  It looks like some of the other stuff is shim packs and weld backers bar. 

Thanks Fowlife.  They are not galvanized.  I soaked them (even though I didn't think they were galvanized) just to be safe.  The rust is gone!! that  was the only change.  The shims I am just tossing aside.  The rest?  Time to play.

ThomasPowers, perhaps i should have said distinctive rather than unusual. 

BillyBones, that sounds like a big honkin pain xx xxx xxx to disassemble lol 

I straightened the leg, adjusted and welded the pivot plates so the jaws are even (a touch of flap disc grinding  to finish that up),  greased and reassembled, and it looks pretty snazzy.  Need to create a spring and get it on a stand. 

The lads cleaned up our workshop and threw all the scrap steel in a 45 gallon drum for me. 

Should last me a wee while once my elbow is playing the game again. 

Spanners, punches, files, various flat and round bar and the frame on top is 2/2 solid bar. 

Don't know what I'm going to do with it but it will find a use. 

20191004_103942.jpg

DH; what about making a guillotine punch or chisel or decorative punch holder from that 2x2.  Nice large throat for wide stuff and should be stout enough.

Wrickm: I've been known to pick up square headed bolts at my local scrapyard to have some on hand when restoring old equipment---easier than forging a modern bolt head square---especially as modern bolts are often plated.

BIGGUNDOCTOR: Good looking vise Wrickm. What is the trans on the floor for?

I have a 1978 Landrover (Santana) 109 with a 200tdi conversion. That's a broken transmission and transfer case.  

ThomasPowers: Makes sense. figured it would be a help in identifying the vise.  I think maybe Columbian. Would like to know approx how old it is.

Sorry if i offended anyone with my potty mouth. . . .

The short open ended screwbox is very Colombian and the marks from closed die forging is also seen on Columbians.  The pivot bolt is a wear item and so could have been replaced; I've replaced a number of them myself and use whatever I have to hand that fits right---sometimes if the pivot holes are wallered out (technical term round these parts...) I've drill the holes out slightly larger to get them back circular.

So I think you are most likely right; one Colombian I've owned had the complete stamping on the back outside of the stationary jaw (Columbian Cleveland, etc.). So I would check there for possible markings.

One of the neatest mods I've seen to a Colombian was where a fellow had brazed a cap on the open end of the screwbox and installed a zerk and would lube it from the back to the front pushing crud *out* of the screwbox.

I should mention that the screw and screwboxes are also replaceable items and can be moved from vice to vice, (I've done it my self to make one good vise from 2 wrecked ones). The Sears Roebuck catalogs of the early 1900's even sold screw and screwbox sets for postvises.

34 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

One of the neatest mods I've seen to a Colombian was where a fellow had brazed a cap on the open end of the screwbox and installed a zerk and would lube it from the back to the front pushing crud *out* of the screwbox.

That is a neat idea! May have to run with that

I have a pan from an outdoor fireplace I'm going to put in the top to make a more weather resistant jabod. I also have a third of a plastic 55 gallon drum to cover it when not in use to protect the clay.  Sitting in the woods has taken a toll on my wood jabod. The only damage to the prep table is the weld between one of the legs and the bottom shelf has failed. My neighbor said he could braze it. I've only brazed copper so it'll be a good chance to learn something new.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Kinda literally followed me home. Headed down Parley’s Canyon UT this semi was hauling the front fuselage of some old plane. I see all kinds of stuff on this highway, like this Corolla sized tree stump! Huge heavy equipment for The Kennecott Mine also always being towed. Anyone know what kinda plane that may be? Seems WWII era.

5C0FA325-1394-43C3-A5DE-3DFA63908D95.jpeg

1ED8E77E-A8AA-4101-BADA-582429EF24A5.jpeg

6AAB3A8C-7922-478E-A3DB-296014A03207.jpeg

6B9E0F7D-4CBB-4617-BD8E-F7AC371D9F2B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I think the auger was used to drill holes for old post & beam wooden pins.

I disagree.  I've spent the last 25 years alternating between timber framing and blacksmithing, and have never seen a historic or modern drill bit that looks like that.  In addition, if you twisted that into a beam it would get stuck so hard you would never get it back.