I Forge Iron

It followed me home

19 hours ago, Owen Hinsman said:

Just picked up a 146# Peter Wright at the NEB fall meet, along with a Picard cross peen, a hot cut hardy, and a scythe peening anvil. 

Super!  Really happy for you.  I know you must be excited.  Looks like you found yourself a real keeper...................plus some accessories.  What more could a guy want? 

Now I'm just going to go out back and shoot myself. :lol: :D  Just kidding, of course, but seeing all of these beautiful anvils finding homes is driving me nuts.  Mine is just around the corner, I just know it.

Chris

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing much this weekend, just a couple leaf springs for $7.50

But I would like to thank the forum for saving me $$$ on a cast iron mistake. 

I remembered seeing something about these but I couldn’t remember if it was good or bad. 

I had some time to search the forum while my wife finished up her hunting & gathering of old stuff to locate the needed info.

I passed on the U.S.A. anvil

70CB600A-2050-46A0-9301-A2BEDFC25B03.jpeg

767AAFB9-9394-4A88-9132-BADF41D30557.jpeg

I went back to metal bin after work like I always do to come across a somewhat sad find. It seems someone has given up the craft or cleaning out shop. These were all in 5gl bucket. Nicholson, Arion, G&H Barnett, and other files. And all that tooling bits. Good haul today 

77F29817-DC70-4D54-BE96-1D2532F21CC6.jpeg

Rescued these from the scrap pile today. The CV is from a Jaguar and the axle is a 6 lug out of a HD Chevy truck.  

20190917_191826.thumb.jpg.3c18e193417ba5fb331959d207f6154c.jpg

One of the guys i work with straighten the shop up today and these were the first 2 thing i grabbed. Tomorrow i will have more time to see what he has stirred up to the top of the pile. 

While not real recent, I got some free stuff. I was telling a friend I shoot trap with that I was trying to get started blacksmithing. I had bought a 168# anvil, a #400 blower, a coal forge (moderately large, but no hood yet) and a well used post vise. A week or 2 later when he came to shoot trap he told me to back my truck up to his. In it he had 2 disassembled heavy truck leaf spring sets. Just guessing but I think that was maybe 200# of spring steel. Since I have not yet set up a shop, that steel is waiting on an old trailer bed near my shop.

I also make maple syrup, although as I got older I started reducing the number of taps, about 6-7 years ago I did 1320 taps. For 2019 I did about 800 taps, but about 450 of those were remote, in a lease. I decided not to do that anymore because of the steepness of the hills and the time it takes to haul the sap. For 2020 I will be between 425 and 450 taps, all around my sugarhouse. Getting back to what followed me home, the friend (who gave me the heavy springs) father gave me an old dairy vacuum pump. Since I have a good pump I use and 2 spares that both work well, I will likely use that vacuum pump in a project some day.

As I said, no shop yet, my plans are to build a blacksmith shop onto the back of my other shop next summer. At this point I'm thinking 12x14 up to 14x22. Have not yet decided. I did buy a 1/4 ton of blacksmith coal from a company that was going out of business and I bought 10 bags of lump charcoal at Lowe's 2 years ago when they had it on clearance (20#@ for $7.00 each)

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST  You will find that a 12X14 shop will be filled up in short order, as most of us have found out. Our shop is 10X30 and it's cramped with all the stuff in it. It's attached to a 24X30 garage which is also full. You might read somewhere that we love pictures, as long as they are not too large.

Welcome aboard Maple Smith, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might discover how many folk live within visiting distance. Heck might find someone willing to help you tap a few trees for a piece of your luck accumulating good stuff. ;)

Coincidentally I'm currently listening to John Ringo's "Live Free or Die" series, section one in book one is "The Maple Syrup War." I don't know if you like Sci Fi but if it's tolerable you might enjoy the series. Ringo is a top shelf author an excellent story teller.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yesterday I picked these large piping pieces and some flat pieces from a friend that got a spray booth put in his body shop. It's galvy but I couldnt pass it up. Then today a package arrived with utensils, rigidizer and castolite 30. Thanks so much Glenn. I'll be happy to start getting that gas forge going soonish. Then a friend stopped by and dropped off 6 bicycles minus the wheels which they use for their own art. (Stained glass yard art). 

20190919_181804.thumb.jpg.77e563502556b6fc6383527983ade1c6.jpg

20190919_181725.thumb.jpg.7e12f6d274409c0556f680b2fc272fd4.jpg

20190919_181748.thumb.jpg.17e4ed734c420a9416a702a49da5d0c6.jpg