• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your going to have some fun uncoiling that spring:)

I've been wondering how I was gonna do that lol. I thought about building a bonfire in my back yard and hook in the shop vac to an old iron pipe and make a 'side blast forge' using the two foot dip between hills. After a few minutes I decided my better bet would probably cut off (with a hacksaw) what I need as I need it. Cutting it won't be much easier I don't think but may be my only option.

Test message. Why is this thread closed??

Huh? Wazzat? I think I hear a ghost typing on a closed thread. Oh yeah, it's the pitter pat of bug feet. Errrrr. :angry:

New "up? date" bugs. At least I'm not being forbidden like before. My messages just disappear and I cant try leaving the thread and coming back to submit, it erases what I've written.

Frosty The Lucky.

I always mark it  and hit Ctrl+C before submitting. Then I can repost using Ctrl+V.

Yeah, I do that too but you used to be able to exit the thread, return click the text box and submit quickly. It worked pretty much of the time. Now though exiting the thread erases wyat you've written so I'm stuck with the save and past option which works . . . sometimes. Usually it it refuses my posts it won't take a paste and post either.

Grrrrrr.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yep it mostly refuses but but the text is not lost. It can be reposted, shortened or put in a new thread.

I agree GRRR -  I am not allowed to write what I mean.  I really feel sorry for Glenn who has this mess on his hands.

Göte

Quick trip to a new-to-me junkyard yesterday yielded 66 pounds of treasure, amongst some of the items I picked up were these (I will TRY to attach photos if this thing will let me!).  My first thought was possible candle cups, not sure what the material is, at first glance heavy aluminum?  Not certain, some in the very large pile were painted, some Uncoated, I snagged a dozen uncoated.  Any good ideas what I can do with them, cost a penny or so each.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by SpankySmith

Doesn't look like aluminum from here. It looks rusty and pitted something I've never seen aluminum do. 

If you could find a way to polish them up and put a food safe sealer on it you could forge a handle and make some fine looking tea chalices :) Or you can cut them down some and make candle cups for various projects. Just the first things that popped in my head lol.

The blower is from a company that is from what I can tell is a rebranded Buffalo Forge for the canadian market. Aside from the handle and a bit of coagulated grease and grim it's pretty perfect. The gears were clean as a whistle no flaws that I could see, they got a generous helping of molybdenum disulfide grease.

The post vise is 3 feet tall and has 3 1/2 inch jaws, missing a spring, a screw plate, and the jaws are a little misalligned. However the screw works, so it's all pretty minor work to get it back to 100% functionality

DSCF0370.JPG

DSCF0371.JPG

Yay! I could upload a pic!  This was my last anvil from a few months ago. Marked 95# but weighs 96# according to the pallet scale at work. Hay Budden, kinda rough on top, but for $100 it was in my price range, and I like even numbers. This makes anvil number 8 ;).  No prefix letter appears to be 31,201, one of the 1's looks more like a scar now , originally thought it was 312,101..   This is the roughest anvil I own, but I will have to try it out to see how it affects the work being done. 

I will have to get some pics of the other items that have found their way to my place.

IMG_20150801_163912.jpg

IMG_20150801_164739.jpg

IMG_20150801_164134.jpg

OK, I'll have another go. Here's hoping no forbidden message.

Was at the dump recently and this 4ft lump of shafting was lying there. Judging by the flanges, I think it may be a spindle from a large saw, and there were big circular saw blades around too. It's exactly 1 3/4 inches diameter and very heavy. I suspect tool steel of some kind.

It is of absolutely no value to me, but it just seemed to good to leave behind.

shaft1.jpg

shaft2.jpg

Found today when visiting relatives, I knew grandad was a bit of a horder before he died (well over a decade ago) and nan had cleared a lot of his "junk" when they took down his old shed but she kept a set of his old draws with misc tools she didnt understand. But the real gems are a set of well loved punches, a hardy tool and what mustr be a very uncomfortable to use fuller! other than that some old forged gate hinges, calipers and a nice amount of tool and misc steel!

IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg

The larger post vise has 5 1/2 inch jaws and weighs 83 pounds.  The smaller vise doesn't have a post.  Not sure how it was supposed to be attached.   It was $50 for the small vise and $200 for the big vise and all the hammers/top sets and the files.

IMG_20151017_150233_981.jpg

IMG_20151017_150243_281.jpg

Ausfire; I hoped you picked up the sawblades too!  They may be good blade stock and in the states are always good trading stock.

No, they are still there. I have enough junk at my place as it is! I'm not into knife making. I use smaller saw blades in my junk sculptures (they make great rooster combs) but those big blades would just gather dust.