Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 29 November 2015 20:19:49, MrDarkNebulah said:

So I finally went to the flea market for the first time. Here is what I got. All this stuff was $18. How'd i do for a beginner? Also, is that a hot cut or cold cut chisel? And any recommendations on what to make? Im planning on a few knives with those files, and maybe a punch with the square on, but any other ideas would be great.

IMG_0837.JPG

The curved tooth file I know as a Dreadnought. Great for non-ferrous especially aluminium and plastics like body filler even good on wood when new. They tend to skate across harder materials unless you employ King Kong.

I seem to remember that you can refresh the cut on files by suspending them in battery acid for a while. But I think, like my metalwork teachers' adage that "the best way to get marks out of metal...is not to put them in"... The best way to sharpen files is not to just chuck them all together in a box or drawer. Make an easy to use file rack and treat the teeth of your files as you would the edge on your pocket knife...don't let them rub together.

The cross pein hammer looks similar to one I used for twenty odd years before Hofi gave me one of his hammers. Maybe mine has a few millimetres less overhang of face to handle, but that could be the angle of the photo.

Alan

Alan

Greetings all,

Just brought my last load of prime tool steel drops from an old closed machine shop .. Now just short of 1000 pounds ..Bonanza... Lots of various steels 4140 .. 6150,, D2 just to name a few.. All at 6c a pound.  Been working on this for a year.. It pays to network and have patience . 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

image.jpeg

Steel:  May I heartily suggest to stamp the alloys in the end!  Seems like markers/paint/etc disappear over a lot less time than a good solid stamping...

Files: I hang garden rake heads on my walls and use golf balls for the file handles and so can suspend them un touching by just using every other slot.

1 hour ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings all,

Just brought my last load of prime tool steel drops from an old closed machine shop .. Now just short of 1000 pounds ..Bonanza... Lots of various steels 4140 .. 6150,, D2 just to name a few.. All at 6c a pound.  Been working on this for a year.. It pays to network and have patience . 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Looks like an awesome score Jim. Looks like I need to start gettin out there and networkin.

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I coulda hauled more if my suspension could handle it. :D love the countryside. 

And there I was thinking all self respecting blacksmiths had the pickup (sorry just struggle with truck for anything that can't carry  2 tons or more:D) suspension and brakes uprated.

That extra little flat bit adds 250kg capacity. So you don't have an obvious 'butt drag' look. BTW. It's rainy season here and that's mud not rust!

WIN_20151206_134412.JPG

6 minutes ago, Stephen Jones said:

That would start at 30 quid here. no way wed get deals like that

My mate who I went to meet there was buying gold jewelry at 20% less than scrap value and I  got a Caselot of collectable wines that included a 1992 Moet some NV ones and some good reds(ave 30 quid each) fort the grand sum of 25 quid . A good day I'd say

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I coulda hauled more if my suspension could handle it. :D love the countryside. 

You clearly need a 3/4 ton pickup. Lol 

Nice score. I'd have to find a functional purpose for those wheels though. No way I could make them into scrap art. My first though was, those would make an awesome gantry. lol

13 minutes ago, Panday said:

You clearly need a 3/4 ton pickup. Lol 

Nice score. I'd have to find a functional purpose for those wheels though. No way I could make them into scrap art. My first though was, those would make an awesome gantry. lol

Yeah, I need a bigger better pickup, but this one doesn't cost me much of anything. 

As far as the wheels go they have bad spots on them where they sat in the dirt for a long time. They are only good for decoration/art now. 

Daswulf, those axle sets would sell well out here just as they are for yard art.  Now you need to get some pics of it all spread out so we can really see what you got.

Nice lathe chisels Ianinsa.

For hauling, if my 2001 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually won't hold it, I have trailers up to 40' long to hold the overflow ;) 

Sorted through a bunch last night. As soon as I get a car fixed and out of my garage I'll get pics before the majority heads up to the pile. A neighbor just saw the stuff and invited me to pick through his pile :D he does demolition derby and I had asked him before but I don't think he really knew the kind of stuff I wanted till he saw this. All I have to do is trade him for stuff of mine I can't use. Win win.    I'm ganna be busy. 

4 hours ago, ianinsa said:

I went to an auction yesterday and picked this lot up for  $20

Nice score. 

Ok so some pics of some of the score. We sorted stuff from blah stuff that I'll actually scrap. Not all of it as some went to respective spots so far :rolleyes: 

the one big spline gear is solid brass and is soaking in the parts washer with the 3 other straight spline gears that will probably become a 3 legged anvil stand. 

Mine drills and tamper,  cannon ball, buckets of gears and fun stuff, some tire chains I need to hang onto, log chains, yeah, lots of stuff. And that's just most of what was packed in the truck :) just some fun stuff to work with. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg