I Forge Iron

What do you listen to while working

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically I listen to anywhere from classic rock to jazz tunes while I am hammering. When I really need to move metal I put on some Creedence Clearwater. I find they got the perfect beat to match my hammer blows to. I have been searching around for some Bluetooth hearing protection. Any recommendations?

14 hours ago, George N. M. said:

bagpipes are one of those things where too much is never enough.

A clean joke...And I love a good set on the pipes.

Amazing Grace....

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave side service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country. As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.  I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man. And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low my heart was full. As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, " I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

9 hours ago, pnut said:

f you're still into seeing live music

Oh yes indeed, just not as much as i used to be. With the exception of last year i always make it a point to go see Gov't Mule at least once a year along with WSP and more recently Blackberry Smoke. 

My favorite band local was Ekoostik Hookah. They used to do a 3 day festival in Columbus, since moved to Nelson's Ledges i think, i'd have to ask my daughter, called Hookahville. Memorial and Labor day weekends. I think i used to have a good time those days are kind of foggy.  

7 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

Metal is very intelligent music akin to some of the classic masters.

There's a German artist named Selin Schönbeck who has a series of videos on YouTube of him doing a metal version of Johannes Brahms's "Ein deutsches Requiem". It's pretty awesome, but I'm not sure I'd want to blacksmith to it.

Lately it's been a mix of metal, I'm rather fond of the stories Sabaton tells, classic rock,  some big band, anything but new country really. Sometimes the Anvil Chorus to start the day.   I use 3m Bluetooth headphones. 

9 hours ago, BillyBones said:

My favorite band local was Ekoostik Hookah. They used to do a 3 day festival in Columbus

They're still playing. Hookaville is coming up September 3-5 at Brushy Fork  Phamily Ranch  in Newark Ohio.  Darkstar Orchestra puts on a good show at Buckeye Lake (Legend Valley) every year too. Darkstar Jubilee is the name of the festival. I went this year. It was cold and rainy but I still had a blast. Truthfully I'd rather see Darkstar Orchestra than Dead & Co any day although I'm going to see them when they come to Cincinnati Sept 11. I'm only forty minutes away so it almost seems mandatory.  Phil Lesh and Friends is still playing too. Have you heard anything from this young guy named Billy Strings? He did a few shows with Bill Kreutzman in Hawaii recently. If you haven't you should definitely give Billy Strings a listen. I try to do at least a two or  three venue run of WSP shows every year if possible maybe we'll run into each other. 

Pnut

My daughter has tickets for hookahville coming up, wasnt sure where it was at.

Pnut, if you have been into jams bands for a while i would bet we have already crossed paths. 

Also i forgot about poly ethnic cajun slam grass, aint listened to that in a minute.

I toured pretty consistently from 88-95 then took a break for a few years after Jerry died before getting back on the road with WSP mostly.  I thought I read a post you wrote about Mickey and Phil coming out to a drum circle in Alpine valley. I was there for that so we probably did cross paths. I was playing two wood grain congas with  big cannabis leaf stickers on each one on a stand. You might remember the drums but I looked like a million other heads back then. Skinny with dreads wearing a tie dye and Guatamalan pants and hatB)

Pnut

Remember something from a Dead show? Surely you jest. :lol: Really though the congas strike a cord, wasnt the only show you played them at was it? I just had a Djembe with a macramé strap i played sitting on.  

I still have my ticket to the 2nd night at Deer Creek '95, the only show the Dead ever cancelled. 

I used to tell people to look for the guy with long hair and tie dye. I could never grow dreads i would just end up with dread, 1 big wad of dread. My daughter has had them for a few years on and off. She went to some beauticians school a few years back and learned how to put them in but more importantly how to take care of them and take them out. 

My hard core touring days ended Aug 11, 2008. I do not know if i have shared this here or not, it is actually an achievment that i am very proud of and have spoken about to many and even changed a few lives and turned some around, but i was a heroin addict for a few years and when i decided to get clean i more or less quit touring. That is one of the biggest failure of people who want to be clean is they are not willing to give up their so called friends. Anyway i do not mind sharing that becuase if my story can help someone or someone's family that makes it all worth it.

I wont go into details here but let me say that if anyone here is struggling with addiction, or your child or sibling, parent, uncle, whoever and you would like an insiders perspective please do not hesitate to hit me up. 

Anyway now ya'll know why i seem discombobulated and rambly sometimes. 

I have a rather eclectic taste in music. My collection runs from ABBA to ZAPPA. With everything in between.  There's no telling what you may hear in the shop. It may be heavy metal violin, or Bach on metal guitar.  Or Benny Goodman, or Muddy Waters, Lindsay Stirling, or Luna Lee, or  Venom, or .....

19 hours ago, BillyBones said:

though the congas strike a cord, wasnt the only show you played them at was it? I just had a Djembe with a macramé strap i played sitting on.  

I still have my ticket to the 2nd night at Deer Creek '95, the only show the Dead ever cancelled. 

I had them for years and brought at least one with me to every show. As for cancelled shows you're forgetting the blizzard in Cleveland prior to the Richfield coliseum shows. First night was cancelled. 

I had the same issues. I've been clean for going on nine years now. 

Pnut