I Forge Iron

What do you listen to while working

I personally quickly learned that the sound of the forge running, along with the constant ting, ting, ting of the metal on the anvil can almost drive you insane. So I listen to music while working.

What do the rest of you listen to while working in the forge? I myself am a fan of rock and heavy metal (no pun intended). I tend to listen to: Bring Me the Horizon, We Came As Romans and Breaking Benjamin. When I REALLY get in the headbanging mood, it is Amon Amarth, Slipknot, Lamb of God etc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have high end hearing protection. A pair of Howard Leight am fm radio muffs that are studio quiet so I can listen to radio or audio books w/cable and not have it blaring. However a couple years later Deb bought me a pair of wireless, Bose noise canceling head phones that aren't AS quiet but they're MUCH lighter. Can't listen to radio though. 

I don't listen to A type genre of music, I listen to what I like.

The important things I listen to while working though are my tools and the work. Happily neither head set cancels outside sound completely. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I love every Tool album... They never get old.

If I had to pick a favorites... That's tough.. I guess the album would be Undertow and the song would Rosetta (for fear of being moderated, I won't put the second word, you know the one), maybe Triad (incl. Disposition and Reflection since, to me they are all one song)... I take it back, I really can't pick a favorite song.

Danny Carry simply isn't human. If you want to be entertained, watch a few drum covers of any tool song (start with Triad). Careful, they're addicting.

Dave51B, **Queue Disco ball, roller skates and hairspray*

Disco, Disco *uh* *uh* Disco, Disco *uh* *uh* 

I like both kinds of music, country and western.

Depends on my mood for the day. But mostly jam bands like Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, etc. with a healthy dose of country, blue grass, and Irish punk thrown in. Maybe some rockabilly or big band at times also. 

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago.  I often just have NPR radio on but if I have a specific album it is usually Celtic or Classical genres.  That said, I also like a German band called Corvus Corax.

I have a theory that our tastes in music are strongly influenced by what was popular about the time we were early adolescents/middle school.  For me, that was the folk music revival in the early '60s.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have some Elgin Ruckus Discord earplugs that combine a 25db NRR with Bluetooth headphones. I'm usually listening to traditional folk music of the British Isles, but I also have a playlist of Samantha Fish (a fine young blues singer/guitarist) that I rather like.

Occasionally, I'll put a single song on repeat and listen to that for an entire session or make an iTunes playlist of different versions of a song. For example, I have a playlist with about a dozen versions of "Carolan's Concerto".

I have the same headphones. The sound quality and battery life have been pretty good for Bluetooth headphones. The build quality is so-so (mostly the buttons), but they did send me a replacement after the first pair broke so I cant really complain.

I listen to everything from Tony Bennett to the Moody Blues to Hank Williams..

When i'm forging its a lot of Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Johnny Cash, and old blues records... But honestly, I just the natural sounds of a blacksmiths shop.

7 hours ago, SinDoc said:

Billy, by rockabilly do you happen to mean Volbeat?

Dont know them. Brian Setzer Orchestra is one of my favorites, and of course his band from the 80's The Stray Cats. Carl Perkins, Bill Haley, some of Elvis's stuff. Early 50's kind of sound. 

I am also been really digging this band called Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, they are big band but with a more modern sound, really good.  

My grandmother on my mom's side was a piano teacher. She was really into jazz, Stan Kenton and his orchestra was her favorite. My dad's side we are from Kentucky down where Lorretta Lynn and Crystal Gale lived, all into bluegrass. My teenage years were spent with 90's heavy metal then i discovered the Grateful Dead. I really have some, lets say, eclectic tastes in music.  

8 hours ago, George N. M. said:

it is usually Celtic

If you ever get to the Dayton area around end of July, we have a Celtic festival every year. Gaelic Storm plays 3 shows for free that weekend. Along with Scythian and others. Sunday morning is a Mass in Gaelic. Good times, you would never believe the amount of people who actually own a kilt. Oh, i do like Celtic music also and am one of those weird people who actually like bag pipes. 

Billy, bagpipes are one of those things where too much is never enough.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS  We had bagpipes at both my weddings, both to my late wife, Martha, and my present lovely lady, Madelynn.  I hope to have them at my memorial service at, hopefully, some distant point in the future.

Grateful Dead, Darkstar Orchestra, WSP, String cheese Incident, Bob Weir and Wolf Bros. Billy Strings, bluegrass, Dropkick Murphys, Dead Kennedys. I'll listen to almost anything depending on my mood. 

16 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Maybe some rockabilly

If you're still into seeing live music there's a great rockabilly band that plays around the Cincinnati Dayton area called Straw Boss. You might want to check them out. 

Pnut