I Forge Iron

What's your latest blade look like? Post em and let us see.

HondoWalker

My edc is a 2 1/2" Old Timer folding knife. If I need larger I have a hatchet, I haven't taken my old Buck Skinner anywhere in a couple decades.

That's just me though, I'm more likely to open a box than skin anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to take a butter knife camping, I always carried a small jar of peanut butter and the Old Timer is too messy to use. Deep sea fishing I carry a filet knife but most charters clean and filet your fish for you. I like having a backup though. 

My Estwing hatchet and Old Timer have done everything I've needed a blade for since the early 80s. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's one I finished a few days ago.  A friend of mine wanted a "really big, scary looking knife" that would be suitable for something like a zombie apocalypse.  This is what I came up with.  Obviously it is heavily influenced by the kopis sword. 

It's 80CrV2, sanded to 400 grit and then cold blued.  I put the water bottle in the picture for scale.  It's 20 inches long overall, 2.5 inches at the widest spot on the belly, and 3/8" at the thickest point on the spine.  It weighs in at 2 lbs, 2.5 oz.

He seems happy with it, so I am too.

20211114_002917.thumb.jpg.499e9803d9ee26b64754b496f760129d.jpg

Here are several blades I built recently. The kitchen knife I finished today. The blade is 1095 high carbon with a handle of Koa. The falcata below that I forged from motorcycle chain and 1084 powder cannister damascus. The fittings are nickel silver and the handle is African Wenge. Next is a 4.5" blade Japanese hissatsu with some of my 32 layer damascus and local Alaskan Birch. Then a bowie, and last a dagger also from my 32 layer with nickel silver fittings and an ebony handle.

20211119_173128.jpg

20211117_163957.jpg

20211110_155625.jpg

20211101_150610.jpg

20211012_185140.jpg

• 1 month later...

My latest knife so far. Didn't forge it this time. Got a few curved plow/rake thingys and noticed there's a straight part to it. So I cut it off and made a knife from it. The hole is from where it bolted on to the tractor. The wood is cedar guard is  aluminum. 

IMG_20220107_170436.jpg

20220113_112413.thumb.jpg.7b2aa482f8bcd7c6fe07263749da82da.jpgThis is my first amd latest. Blade forged from an old file, handle is ash that I cut for firewood, and guard and buttcap are copper that was a welding tip. All opinions and comments good or bad welcomed. This was my first and need criticism to improve20220113_112511.thumb.jpg.93230ce332ccf6bee0d56bf3fd717424.jpg

Hi, Deli. Good first effort -- certainly better than mine. 

I have two critiques, one for design and one for execution. As far as design goes, the handle and the blade are not in proportion to each other -- that is, the blade needs to be bigger, or the handle needs to be smaller.  If you look at the photo on your computer screen and put your hand first over the handle and then over the blade, I think you'll see what I mean. Take a look at the thread about IFI member templehound's recent "Andaman Swipe" blade for some inspiration.

Regarding execution, the knife has a slightly unfinished look, as if you said to yourself, "Okay, good enough" before it really was. Some nice crisp plunge lines and a more confidently defined choil on the blade, better blending of the transition between the wood and the copper, and a better finish on the copper itself would all improve the knife's appearance immensely.

Thanks for the critique JHCC! As far as the handle goes, if I went much smaller it wouldn't fit the hand. Is proportion more important than functionality? I don't wanna make "wall hangers", I want to be able to grab and use any blade I make. And I'm not arguing your critique, just asking because I need to learn? Also I see the fit and finish concerns, and I knew what I had to do better, I just wasn't sure how with my limited tools. That's was made with an ammo can forge, a homemade venturi burner, a 20oz framing hammer, and sanded by hand. Again thanks for the constructive criticism, and I will take it all and use it on my next endeavor!

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

Deli, you don't need to quote when responding to the immediately preceding post.  You can find out about that and more here:  

If you had included the blade's dimensions or had something beside it for a frame of reference, e.g. soda bottle JHCC might have already picked up on the size thing.  I agree with the proportion critique.   I held my tongue as I have not yet forged a knife to post myself.  Given the way the handle is, I feel the sweep of the blade is the wrong way.  I would like to see it sweep up rather than down.  If you plan on really putting that knife to some hard use the copper is going to get banged up/bent.  Thin laminated or inlays with copper are nice but it needs to be backed up by something stronger, IMO.  Nevertheless, good job and thanks for showing.