I Forge Iron

What's your latest blade look like? Post em and let us see.

HondoWalker

Mine is a sheath knife, a hunting knife by Dad's reckoning. I had a Buck cattleman's pocket knife until I ruined it by letting a friend use it for a few seconds. I didn't know he wanted to pry out a burnt fuse under his dash. A dead short of the circuit burned two bites from the main blade and because he wasn't a quitter another from the utility blade. 

That was a painful lesson learned and I kept a cheap close out special in my tool box from then on.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished this one up a week or so ago. This was my first time using antler. It was an old Nicholson file. I hammered to shape and hammered the bevels in. All the finishing was hand filed and sanded as I don’t have a grinder. CC50D69F-1098-43AC-A2DC-213D8C3042A1.thumb.jpeg.c6e3a92867a8e62e39c3e84f5044bfb1.jpeg

E5E767BC-8D9C-4035-B532-237D70667FEC.thumb.jpeg.8725bbc9c86d47864bffecc9cbfc1ad0.jpeg

FE1C0528-5706-47FE-B0E6-263D62951529.thumb.jpeg.7cb9ffe74a066deda1bbbc2987593da0.jpeg

On 3/12/2022 at 7:46 AM, SHC said:

I’ve got a folding sharpener from DMT, it’s great. Folds up and opens like a balisong, with the diamond sharpening “stone” concealed within the handles. It seems they’ve started making them with pointy rods now! Not sure when that happened but it wasn’t available when I got mine.

3FBA07FF-CF69-4BB7-BA9E-64C6191EBAC6.jpeg.ef694de752fa78cb8a9d6c63ae09d456.jpeg

I usually keep mine in my work truck for touching up tools on the job.

i EDC a course/fine one of these

haven't seen the rod type before

Aframe, nice knife

• 3 weeks later...

Steak knife. File sandwiched between wrought iron. Lost most of the wrought iron. Blade sharpens and will cut. 

Scales are from a dead bush from my yard I cut up and stored in my garage for about three years.

Slight crack to one scale when setting the rivets. Hit it just one time too many. 

Maybe not bad for a first knife. 

0EEC02E5-DFA7-4259-8A79-ABB880EB0248.jpeg

B94AED03-BA7E-48C7-B718-8E007D24BB87.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have about a 4 foot section of one of the thicker branches in the garage, plus a 6 inch piece I plan to use on a camp knife sometime, and the root balls from 3. I didn’t store them inside though, so much of each ball is riddled with fungus. I had them on a tarp behind the guest house. I thought that would be enough to keep them from rotting, but that was obviously wrong. 

I suppose I could cut them up and stabilize them. I’ve never cared much for spalted wood scales though. Guitars, yes. Knives, not so much. 

A set would be a problem. Catching lightning in a bottle once isn’t much of a feat. 4 - 6 times. Not so easy I expect. 

True, but would it be a representative sample? It is possible for a noob like me to spit out 60 knives in a row of the same quality as the best Loveless ever produced. The odds of such happening are probably greater than they would be of me winning at Powerball, which Google says is about 1 in 293 million. Even greater when you factor in my never buying a ticket, but the chance of me producing 60 knives in a row of quality rivaling his is still a non zero number. 

Read what I said again. I said after 40-60 your results will be MORE about skill than luck. I didn't say you'd be turning out top notch blades one after another, that's not our lot. We get better with practice not perfect. Well . . . . MAYBE if we practice until the day we die we may be granted one perfect example of our life's devotion. 

So what would the odds be if we bought, 293,000,000 tickets? 293,000,000 in 586,000,000?

Frosty The Lucky. 

Do you make your own micarta, Haywood?

Oh, I knew what you meant, Frosty. I was just kidding. Although what I said about a novice being able to put out work way beyond their skill level for short periods is true to a degree. I remember when I was just barely breaking 100 for a round of golf, I shot a 2 under par 70 one magical day. It was the most amazing round. Every shot was flush and exactly as they were in my head. The very next day I failed to break 100. 

One of my worries about blacksmithing and bladesmithing is it may turn out for me to be the same as golf and guitars. With those I have quite a bit of knowledge about how to do it, but no real natural aptitude for either. I leveled out at a 10 to 12 handicap with golf. With guitar, if equated to golf, maybe a 30 handicap (bloody awful).

Very nice.  If you can find an Italian 50 lira coin (pre-Euro) there is a nice portrait of Vulcan at his anvil on it.  They were struck in stainless steel.  You can find them on ebay for no more than US$1 each.  Probably less in some Croatian coin shop.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I finally finished the knife made partially from the metal that came out of my ankle. This will be my EDC. I don't know what to call it other than a dagger. It was made from two pieces of cable - one left hand twist and the other right hand twist. I consolidated them in a cannister with 1084 powder. I cleaned out the grease but neglected to super-twist the cable before consolidating. By the time I finished consolidating the cannisters in my coal forge and forge welded the two billets together, the striations that appear when etched are nearly parallel to the edge of the blade so I'm going to leave it unetched. The long edge was done "slack belt"  to a medium sharp edge and the shorter edge is razor sharp hollow grind. The long ricasso on the short edge is to get some thumb leverage when using the medium edge.

The guards are forged from the stainless steel plate that held my tibia together for a while. It was flat on one side and had scallops on the other. I had to draw it out anyway to get the length I needed to make the three pieces so now both sides are flat.

The handle is embroidery thread soaked in UV resistant casting epoxy. The pinky ring is another piece of cable damascus that was mig welded on after getting the guards where I wanted and silver-soldered in place.

The sheath is Kydex and locks the blade in very securely. It fits well at the small of my back. The last time I tried this was with a leather sheath and it didn't work too well. It was hard to snap and the flexible leather sagged and the handle caught on everything. This feels comfortable, even when driving or sitting in a chair

CableDagger2.jpg

cableDagger1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this one as a graduation present for my little sister.  80CRV2 for the steel. Wenge and bloodwood for the handle with copper fittings. I think I turned a corner on sheathes as well, at least this one looks a little better than the rest I have done. 

P knife 2.jpg

P knives.jpg