• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished asking some place and was very politely told, “we do return our oil to a local gas company each month…and that company actually sends us a check in the mail each month as payment for that oil. Due to this, we unfortunately would not be able to part ways with any of it.” Of course, what the gas company pays is probably next to nothing, but it is what it is.

Guess it’s on to the next try.

Speaking as someone who asks for things for a living, one of the first and biggest hurdles to overcome is fear of hearing No. If nothing else, hearing No a few times (especially when linked with an explanation of why not -- that is, confirmation that it's nothing personal) teaches you that hearing No is really no big deal. You can also use the information from this experience next time, so that you can phrase your request as "If you're not contracted to a pick-up service with a biodiesel company, do you think you could spare a few gallons of used-up fryer oil?" That shows that you're thinking of them and their needs, which could make them more favorably disposed to granting your request.

No idea, but this does bring us to the next principle of asking for things: What do we not know now that we need to know in order to move forward? You're approaching this from the point of view of "What kind of business is more likely to say Yes?" This is a legitimate approach, but I would suggest a different one: "If a business says Yes, how easy will it be for me to get the oil from there to my shop?" In other words, start with the places closer to where you're going to be anyway (e.g., between home and work), and only move outwards if you hear No from those places. Speculating about the likelihood of a Yes from different kinds of businesses really doesn't get you anywhere, as there may be other factors you don't even know about that might affect their oil disposal policies.

Back a bit; but please note that there is no law requiring the opposing faces of dice to equal 7.  It is a common method and probably the most common here in the USA but there are other versions out there!     (One smith out here makes dice that always roll 7--- quite easy to do, all the faces on one die have 3 pips and all the faces on the other die has 4 pips; he sells them with no continued health guarantee if used!)

Lets see: Monday and Tuesday had friends to the forge and forged billets, the new folks got short BSB&PS billets and me and a more experience friend were forging drive chain billets.

I also finished the hot work on my barb wire basket icicles Saturday and started soaking them in vinegar. Yesterday I wire brushed them under running water and as it was hot outside, gave them 2 coats of rattle can silver paint and made their nickel silver hanging hooks.  I am officially done with my Christmas presents before the start of December----Inform the Media!---check for other signs of the Apocalypse!

I was just told that they were a bit low on items for the Fine Arts Show & Sale and was asked if I would bring some stuff in.  I might even be able to refill my 100# tank off the stuff sitting around for 2 years of unheld events.

Used oil can also be taken to your local mechanic . In every shop i ever worked, with the exception of the one in Louisiana, we used a Clean Burn furnace to heat the shop. These furnaces burn waste oil. Usually at least 2 tanks to keep the old oil in, 500 gallon is typical. And even if they were full, if you can leave the container*, we would just set it to the side. We did not turn away waste oil becuase i have been through slow times where the owner would have to buy waste oil to heat the shop. So for us it was free heating fuel. 

* We would get trans fluid in 5 gal. buckets and we usually had 5 or 6 laying around. Oil also comes in those handy 5 quart jugs that would also be hanging around. So if you can not leave the container ask if they have one you can use. 

Just because one person says no doesn't mean his/er boss won't say yes. I've run into that a lot, getting worn jack hammer bits from the Home Depot rental counter for example. The first manager said they went to the scrapper for $5/ea. I picked up one. Guys in the club wanted some so I stopped in to pick up a few, this was higher in the food chain and gave me the whole darned bucket full. Two trips and buckets because the one bucket was too heavy, it ripped the bale off when one of the guys tried to lift it. So I got 14 used and broken jack hammer bits and two brand new Home Depot buckets for chatting a little at a slow time. 

Always, ALWAYS carry something hand forged so you can show folks what you're doing with the stuff you're asking for. If you'll be going back often a little gift is only good PR. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I once got free access to a small "Ornamental Iron" place's scrap dumpster as they had to pay to have it hauled to the scrapyard and dumped.   I never interfered with production, always wore PPE, left the area cleaner and arranged so that more metal could fit in and gave the front office "secretary" little forged things that we had made from their drops.  Hundreds of pounds of good forging stock from that deal!

Sometimes the boss dont even know. Our shop gets stock in 16' wooden crates. Made from pine 1" thick and anywhere from 4" wide to 12" wide and it is actually pretty nice wood. Got few myself, but at the end of the month we end up with quite the pile. Someone stopped one day and aske the owner if they could take a few, the owner had to go ask our shipping and receiving guy. His reply was a lot like the jack hammer bits, take them all or dont take a board. 

Just thought that kind of comical that the person who actually owns them did not know. Different ends of the spectrum i guess. 

One thing I always say when asking for something, weather it's scrap material or used fryer oil or whatever, is to tell the person that I am a hobbyist blacksmith. That way they know I'm not someone who would just turn around and sell it. I always keep a couple of leaf key chain fobs in my pocket as a show & tell or gift.

It's not the owner or head cheese's job to know what's happing on the floor unless it's directly related to what the operation does. He may know what the materials cost is so he can factor it into the budget but if something doesn't appear on the budget he won't know unless the accountant says something.

When I worked in service stations no owner cared how much Fantastic we used on the office/waiting room floor and only one of 7 knew where the old wheel weights went. He was a shooter and reloaded so the can was emptied nightly. The owner cared if the station looked clean and neat, there were enough service items: oil filters, tires, and the machinery was functioning properly. 

If you have questions about operations or specific availability the person to talk to is the secretary/receptionist. They know EVERYTHING like who to talk to and can put in a word for you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I went and picked this up to convert to a Molders bench..  It will also be used for storing the flasks, tools and sand. 

Had/has some damage but was able to get most of it out in little time with 16lb straight peen.  Those tight sheet metal crimps are tough to get get opened back up. 

I will finish up the fix once its in the school and do the other modifications needed. 

20211129_145546.jpg

20211129_162249.jpg

20211129_165018.jpg

20211129_174205.jpg

Got a commission for 2 treble clef necklaces. She wished she bought all of someone elses design when they were available.  They were out of stock when she checked again.

Well I did a prototype tonight and she loved it. Now i need to make 10 for her. I did make one more. The rest are for another night or so. "My forge time is limited" what I dont like in the batch will sell at shows. No wasted time. As usual, make twenty if you need 10. She wanted them around 2" length. My prototype wound up around 2 1/2" and she liked it as is. 

First picture is what she showed me. 

Second and third photos are my designs. Now to make 8 or more similar. 

Screenshot_20211129-183830_Messages.thumb.jpg.3d54f3bb779cfcdbb6acdb6277c1d620.jpg

20211129_213935.thumb.jpg.4574fd54e17e0c34e6356857c3a71994.jpg

20211129_230023.thumb.jpg.c18d4549caf63fee97f089400217fc39.jpg

Nice JLP. I have many tools that could straighten that. You did good. Hmm. Straightening trailers might be a thing.

Glenn, that would be good for those. I'm doing most of the scrolling off the edge of the anvil and adjusting with the scrolling pliers.  Also using old political sign wire. Well, i dont know what signs they held since a buddy brought me a bunch of just the wires for them. They were in the trash and we trade stock for forged trinkets. 

Brass Brush a couple of "extras" and explain that that is available with an added cost.

Got into the 60's degF lately so I can rattlecan my items outdoors but after dark it gets sub freezing and so they have to come in at night---a lot like the cats!  I have a couple of items "baking" in my pickup today as there is a sale tomorrow and I want the paint hard and dry!