• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My knee is well enough to get out for a bit again. Tried another drawer pull, think i may have the process down now. Definately going to have to make a jig for the rings. I hope the groove is acceptable otherwise i may have to go with a tenon on the back of the post holding the ring. 

And of course i show my ugly old drawer pull just as Alexandr puts up stunning work. Love that light, would that be considered a sconce? 

20210108_135147.thumb.jpg.eb519de823f0787a90dc79490878a12d.jpg

It's beautiful work as always Alexandr. I love the stove pipe surround, it'd be hung with wet gloves at our house. A person has to live where it's cold to truly appreciate a nice warm, dry, pair of gloves. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Alexandr, really nice work as always!

JHCC, lol!

671jungle, is there any significance to the different shapes of grafting knives? My dad's a wine buff and the one he uses is shaped like a hook with the sharp edge on the inside (always struck me as a finger amputator!)

I finished my decorative twig tonight. Could've done better, but I learned a bunch. Time for me to get a die grinder.

Also added some rests on the forge for propping firebricks more snuggly. Now that the firebricks don't lean or fall off, the new forge got significantly hotter tonight.

IMG_20210108_233008.jpg

Alexandr, thought maybe it may be yours since working on it for years, a labor of love. 

Twigg, maybe time to branch out? (ok, thats all i got, i am stumped for more) I like the welds myself. They look natural, that bottom one looks almost as if maybe the twig was broken in the winter and is starting to regrow. Or maybe it is an orange tree with a grafted on tangerine branch to grow tangelos. 

Frosty, not only the gloves but we would also hang our socks on it. Warm dry socks are also very appreciated in the cold climes. 

11 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

Frosty, not only the gloves but we would also hang our socks on it. Warm dry socks are also very appreciated in the cold climes. 

Oh BABY there'd be socks hanging but I have lots and the dryer is about 8' from the wood stove.  I keep procrastinating some sort of decorative drying rack for behind the stove. Something to set out boots on would be nice, warm boots. ahhhhhhhh.:wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the input all! I think my big challenges with the welding were visibility (time to replace the screen on my welding helmet, could barely see my own hands before auto darkening) and the rate I was dropping bead (way too fast, had to grind a lot of excess and what I couldn't reach stayed on). I've been blindly trusting the recommended settings on the chart and maybe it's time for me to experiment to get a slower bead. 

Frosty, hadn't thought of forging the weld bead! I think I'm a little low on heat at the moment. I just got a low yellow yesterday. Need to reline the forge. I think I didn't rigidize deep enough because every surface is moving and flaking off refractory (I did butter first, not sure where I went wrong). Going to have to break off the existing refractory layer, re-rigidize, and re-line it. I didn't put any emissive lining on yet because I wanted to see if the refractory would flake off first. Glad I did that!

BillyBones, I think I could a better job on finish work. Gotta put a bough on top!

Yes definitely keep your welding shield right. I've found I need to shine a bright light on my work to see even with an auto darkening shield but my eyes are getting old. 

If you're quick enough you can do a little hammer refining on the welds before they cool. don't get me wrong, they look good as is but different joints and textures are more tricks in your bag. 

Frosty The Lucky.