• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well got the bed off the truck and started welding it all back up. Here is the other side and the damage. Did manage to run over the plastic cone that hold the fuel filler neck to the body, which translates to broken in many pieces. Looks like i am going to be doing a muffler in the not to distant future too, or should i say the muffler shop will be. I hate exhaust work. 

20210101_150211.thumb.jpg.df7cdb732f9e60f66013ce20e27e1226.jpg

I figure i should get with the times so i am now going with highway social distancing.:lol:

20210101_152706.thumb.jpg.0a66913ce25f25cf021225a70b40cd61.jpg

Finished! I think I'm going to keep this one... it's almost what I want to give my uncle, just not quite. The scales aren't quite the same thickness, they aren't quite flush with the tang, the blade isn't quite what I want, there's a minor crack in the handle, along with a couple dents ... so close! I think I can get it next time. Overall, though, happy with the result and very proud of my second knife.

A8E206F9-13AC-4F98-8967-30AADADDDAD3.jpeg

BB585013-6EDF-43A1-AF92-39F6D7C3DC66.jpeg

F02CA73A-4A45-4F80-B3E5-15E43CFF397F.jpeg

And there’s the drill press’s little kiss 

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

And there’s the drill press’s little kiss 

I feel your pain. 

FCEE9BA6-A8C5-4AB6-A0CE-5AB1374B4426.jpeg

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

i am now going with highway social distancing.:lol:

Ohio law requires motor vehicles to give bicycles three feet of clearance when passing; I know some folks who’ve duct-taped foam pool noodles to give a visual reminder to drivers who can’t judge distance. I think your version might give you a little trouble while parallel parking. 

Had the gasser running for 4 hours today; a friend was forging chili peppers and truing up some previously welded billets; I was working on more tool maintenance and prepped another "sample rod" for my twist examples and finished off the hot work on a bottle opener. (Forged the ring on the end of the twist samples into a bottle opener too; just for fun...)

I've started recording how long the forge is burning so I can budget for propane better.

Mr. B. Bones,

You can fill the opening of the scale and the blade, by using fine sawdust mixed into colorless  epoxy resin.

A good trick for treating not too deep cuts, is to use crazy glue on the cut whilst holding both ends closely tightly together. and then bandaging the "mended cut" closed.  A water resistant "bandage" is advantageous. 

Of course the cut should be disinfected before using the glue.

SLAG.

(note to)  Mr. JHCC.,   I have used a chain mail glove in sticky situations like that. Woodworking supply shops carry the item.

They  are not cheap but our hands are worth it.

The armored gloves were devised to protect fish cannery workers who fillet fish. (they do it so quickly that it looks like a blur. (nasty cuts were common).

Hope that helps.

Slag said " They are not cheap but our hands are worth it" he is right. And you dont quite need chainmail gloves. There are "cut proof" gloves to different degrees. I have had some cheap ones given from those that worked in the mill and glass making business, and have a nice pair like mechanics gloves I bought on amazon for metal detecting actually. 

The "they are worth it" works on all part of your body because they are irreplaceable,  or Very expensive to mend. Proceed with great care and attention to proper PPE. 

Mr. Chimaera, And Das et al.,

I was referring to anyone who has experienced a cut.

Epoxy resins were first to close up incisions and debrided wounds, in field hospitals,  in the Viet Nam war. It first used by some creative surgeon, as a jury rigged on the spot fix.

Specialized epoxy resins are still used for that purpose today. the preparations are modified because the hardener/accelerant is somewhat corrosive.

For that matter, crazy glues are also used for the same process.

Herr Das is correct that other types of cut resistant gloves can be used. For example I have cut resistant chain saw, mitts (gloves), and also chaps. They are of composite plastics, one of which are Kevlar fibers. (they can clog up a chain saw till it stops) and can save a leg that would be in the way when the saw 'misbehaves'.

I tend to be over-cautious in all such matters. But, then again, I am still in fairly good shape after doing numerous hazardous things in a long lifetime.

Still kicking,

SLAG.

I'm also still kicking around after a life long of ignorant or willful abuse. 

Chainsaw protection is a Little different from "cut" protection. Usually cut protection involves some sort of kevlar (or chain maile) while, as far as I understand it, chainsaw protection does, as you say, have fibers that bog and shop or slow a chainsaw chain. 

Chimera, I'm now downplaying your injury, just offering advise And offering that you Should be more careful and invest in protection and safer practices. Many of us that offer such have been through the same or worse and are only trying to help you. 

Das- sorry if it sounded like I was upset. I was just joking, which, as we all know does not translate well through the internet. I know that you have had years more experience than me, and probably the scars to prove it. If I’m being honest, I kinda hope this one will scar up to remind me to not be stupid. On my ankle I have the reminder to listen to my mother (when I was 7, I was climbing on a pile of oyster shells. My mother told me to get off them, and I didn’t listen. A minute later, I was struggling to stand up, blood streaming down my legs), it would be fitting to have this one here. Thank you for taking the time to help out someone who’s likely to get himself killed otherwise.

SLAG- sorry, I meant the epoxy wood dust blend that you suggested for filling handle gaps. Though super glue certainly is useful for minor cuts. I didn’t know it was invented for that. I generally give em a drop of super glue or a piece of electrical tape when the blood would get in the way.

Das,

You are right. 

I mixed up chain saw protection with cut resistant gloves, finger covers tape wraps, etc. And was not specific and clear enough. (i.e. comingling two ideas).

There are plenty of types of the later. gloves, including leather. And I have several. (many for specially designed for hand wood carving).

But the gloves tend to be bulky. and that is why I bought the chain mail gloves many years ago. even though they ARE expensive. but, then again they should last a lifetime.

Cheers,

SLAG.

A scar you need to look at to remember. If I learned anything from the classes I had to take after my second DUI, the person said to remember the pain to not do it again. That pain is pain and includes hardship. It works. Remember the pain. 

I'll start doing something dumb or even think about it and cringe from the thought. While we haven't experienced "some or many" things, warnings from those that have should lead to a gut feeling that we should probably not experience that. 

I dunno about the glue thing. I've had many stitches and other unsealed wounds and I'll honestly say the worst healing that I've experienced so far were the two of 3 incisions from my appendix removal that Were glued shut. The third from the drain tube that they did nothing with healed fine. The two that were glued got infected a bit and still look worse than any other healed or healing wound of the same time frame. I'll take the old stitches or butterfly bandages any day. 

No doubt on lasting on the mailer gloves Slag. They have "and I have a pair" thin rubber grip coated cut proof gloves out at affordable priced now. 

Dont get me wrong on the idea of "cut proof". It is their explanation and they have different grades of it with one of the best being the maile gloves, but think of them as "resistant". It all depends how dramatic protection needs are. 

When I cut the very tip off my left index finger, the doctor put a piece of some kind of foam — almost like styrofoam — on my finger, where it promptly melted into the bloody spot and clotted it, forming an instant scab. Very cool. That was also the injury that introduced me to tubular gauze, which is wonderful stuff. 

One very good way to fill a crack is to sand the wood with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper, pack the gap with the dust, and then drip cyanoacrylate adhesive (superglue) onto the dust. It will pull into the gap and harden, and you can sand it down in seconds. Repeat as necessary. 

Billy Bones, I swear every time I drive around Denver I have to go out of my lane to avoid a modified pickup parked on the side of the road. Forget the cars, you'd be diverting pedestrians! A little test to see who's paying attention and who's buried in their phone :D

Finally got space to forge in tonight! I fixed up a corkscrew I done goofed. By "fixed up" I of course mean "made my mistakes look slightly more intentional". ;) Wasn't happy about the twist but eh, next time. Started a set of coat hooks with a test piece, but I snapped the bracket off by mistake (I was holding the cold bracket with the tongs while drawing out the hook. D'oh!) Take #2 coming soon.

IMG_20210101_211543.jpg.49db2cfa8d3882f645cad361aa4ec76c.jpg

Been reading about the physics of open die forging. I'm resuming graduate studies in a couple weeks, so just trying to clear out the cobwebs in the old noggin. I'll say I haven't gotten far but it's interesting to think about the importance of friction in the process. Never would've guessed.

Made a temporary fix to my gas forge. Cost me nothing but a little time using "junk" I had laying around. Little cutting and tapping and it's all good. Had to resolve one hole in the preexisting part. 

At the moment I have a two burner with no more leaks. 

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary fix."

Ok, I'm done with this hunk of junk other than to make some end block offs and an extendable stock holder and use it here and there. 

Back to my coal. 

20210101_235837.thumb.jpg.757e96c9f9223b3a63f38bd1965ab0a0.jpg

20210101_235914.thumb.jpg.cf30ebbb19b9c42ebe9c64646512b677.jpg