• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That could be cool.  I had an old boss who used to turn pens on his lathe.  If the clinker is attractive enough, cast it in resin to make a pen blank and then turn it.  Or perhaps trim it, cast it in resin and use it as knife scales.  

The chemical composition of a clinker might not work too well with resin though.  I don't have any specific reason in mind, but since a clinker out of your forge may have come from dirt and debris in your coal, and the clinker from someone else's could be the mess from flux, etc. I would be concerned that something in it may react negatively to the resin or the hardener..  I guess there is no way to tell unless you try though.

32 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Hornet do you know the trick of heating the curving blade and placing it arc up on the anvil face and tapping it with the hammer till the spine is in contact with the anvil face.  I find that easier then doing a pre curved blank.  I also don't consider RR spikes a proper alloy for a knife post the Dark Ages---RR clips have about double the carbon content of a spike!

I did not but that makes complete sense, same as straightening anything else being drawn out.  Thanks TP!  Yeah I don't plan on doing anything with the knife other than opening up UPS boxes with it or just having it in the shop.  I will stick to better carbon steels for knives. 

Never quit giving free tooth hugs.

I use my clinkers to fill the mud holes next to my to small of a drive way for my truck. 

I did keep a few around that were more eye catching than most. A friend who does wood working and resin casting took a bunch to try and use. I need to find out if he has done anything with them and how it turned out. 

On 1/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, Daswulf said:

I've only been bit my two dogs other than nips. They were both GSDs and both were nice to me after the fact. Hopefully it is the same for you. Or just don't touch its favorite scrap. 

Okay, my head dents must be extra active but I'm lost here. GSD? 

I've told my junkyard dog story a few times, I'll spare a repeat.

I have confidence all our good wishes will boost your ability to heal Thomas. I AM however a bit concerned for the dog. Do you know how it's doing?

Frosty The Lucky.

Paul- heck no I ain’t making clinker scales! That sounds like a pain to sand, and you could get tear out. Maybe if you made a mold of exactly how the scale would be. I think the best things would all be finished products, ie no sanding or cutting after the resin hardens. I think it would harden fine. I’d suggest giving it a good acetone wash, though, to get the powder off. 

Fooled around in the shop, and at the forge. Got a couple of things accomplished.  #1 got the new tongs together, and used them. Still need some adjustment of the bits but work well. #2, made another bottle opener from yet another head bolt.  #3 made a slitter to use for #5. #4 made a punch, and #5 decided to try my hand at a wall mounted bottle opener. Similar to what you find on a Coke box, hence the need for a slitter.

11th2 (Copy).jpg

11th3 (Copy).jpg

Oh, and made some clinker too.

Grafting knives heat treated and ready to be handled. Going to use this staghorn skeleton for handles on the next projects. The wide knives are for “slab grafting” cacti, made from 3” wide bandsaw blades. Unrolled they are over 20’ long. 2 each. I did the break test and they are definitely hardenable! 

8346F105-4D87-4197-9217-BE6A91BA05B4.jpeg

F62AB9B3-A750-411B-A418-B0AEEC122940.jpeg

On 1/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Chimaera said:

Do you buy from tractor supply? I do and get generally a bunch of sticks, some rocks, and a bit of cement. Though the rocks and cement are easily removed

Yes I do. I'm originally from West Virginia and seeing online sales of $25-$50 a bag coal is completely unreasonable. Been trying to get someone with a truck to take me WV so I can buy a $25 truckload of coal. My sisters have 3 trucks between them. I'm sure someday they will help me get some coal. The funny thing is my house has a coal fireplace. If I could get bituminous I could heat my house with it. But I wouldn't. Last time I heated a house with coal my mother and sisters nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning. I was 16, I didn't know better.

Yeah they are fine. It was 36 years ago. The er told them if they had been inside any longer they would have died. I got up early and left to go do whatever it was I did back then. I only had a headache and didn't think anything of it when I left.  I have always slept with the door shut. That is what saved me. And nearly killed them with their open doors.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:45 AM, ThomasPowers said:

GSD: German Shepard Dog.

:huh: I knew that. I'm still having trouble adjusting to adding Dog to the breed name. I've never needed to distinguish between the dog and German people who herd stock. 

I had a close call with a K9 GSD a few years ago at the State Fair. The AK State Troopers have a booth and a strong presence at the fair the Mat-Su police depts. do as well but they're smaller forces and not as prominent.

Anyway A Trooper and his K9 partner were talking to folks away from their booth and I approached to say hi. I screwed up and offered my hand to the dog to sniff. He didn't bite, he hit my hand with his snout hard enough to bruise. I felt teeth but it was very controlled if darned hard hit. 

I'd offered the back of my hand and he couldn't see if I had anything in it so he opened my hand to check. I made two big mistakes, the first I should've known better. Don't touch until a dog checks you out. Show your palm first then turn it to offer the back. I'd made eye contact but only briefly so I don't think that was a factor.

Oh, I forgot the #1 mistake I made. NEVER touch a service dog without permission!! Yes, K9 dogs are service dogs and deserve the respect any law enforcement officer does. 

Anyway, I was reminded of that close call by your recent experience. Dogs understand how dangerous a human hand is so reaching to pick something up close to a dog could certainly be threatening enough to get bit. 

A dog with a job is a happy dog. Just try not to include getting bitten in their job description from now on. Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

51 minutes ago, Chimaera said:

do you mean a guillotine fuller?

The dies in guillotine tool can be changed out. Fullers, butchering dies and ...I'm not sure what you would call two flat dies... it's not a set hammer, but i suppose conceptually it's in the ballpark... anyway those seem to be most common.