I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Now that is one shiny hammer! I knew it was a jewelers hammer, but I didn’t realize how small it was until shown next to the sharpie. Cute! (If you don’t mind me saying. I know that it is an excellent tool designed for function.)

What size O1 is that?

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, BillyBones said:

Well got the bed off the truck and started welding it all back up.

As I was reading your previous posts... I formulated a theory/guess in my head as to what kind of truck you were working on. Then I saw your other post, and figured I was pretty close.

Looks to be a chevy Silverado/GMC rear bumper... center cab light... im guessing 2000's? 

Lol... I have a '99 silverado 2500HD that's not far from that exact same issue. I literally had to replace a rear leaf spring shackle just a month back. The other won't last much longer, but one was enough to replace in the snow and cold...:blink:

JD, it Is special. It is your first hook, and it looks very food for a first. Well done. Keep it and hang it up to mark your first. 

Chimera, you dont need a horn to forge a hook. It just makes it a little easier. 

You can use "stuff" as a horn if you need. And you could forge a bickern if you need to be held in a vise. 

7 hours ago, Chimaera said:

. I'm in Colerain,

I'm in Northern KY not too far from Cincinnati, just a few miles south of Florence. I grew up in Covington KY.  There's another member in Florence KY  but I haven't seen him post anything in a long time. I bought some hammers he made a couple years ago and that was the last time I talked to him. 

Pnut

Looks like us Buckeyes are taken over the place.B) We can make P-nut an honorary Buckeye i guess. 

We need to get together all of us some time, when we are allowed to again that is. 

Anyway got the truck all welded up and back together. Used a couple long section of pipe, schedule 40, i had in the barn and some angle iron. Forgot to get pics of the finished job and had the bed almost back on before i thought about it.

Thought yall may like to see my hillbilly riggin. 

20210102_135118.thumb.jpg.63af2c4e05f7820e70ef63009bd77042.jpg

After getting done i was clearing a space to put my compressor, had to pull it out of storage, when i found a piece of cable about 50' long i woud have felt much better about using than the rope. 

12 hours ago, Welshj said:

Looks to be a chevy Silverado/GMC rear bumper... center cab light... im guessing 2000's? 

2013 GMC Sierra. Good guess. 

JD, nice hook. The twist is nice and even and the bend is quite graceful. 

I was looking at a few acres just west of Waverly before Christmas but put that on the back burner for a minute.

Chimaera; I second not needing a horn and in fact I have taught over a hundred students to make hooks not using a horn, I don't even thing using a horn is easier.  Now if your curve has to have an exact radius a fixture can help, but not a horn.

One reason we know the "urban legend" of the northern army breaking the horns off southern anvils to prevent them from making horse shoes is bogus---a horn is not needed.  This was an idea that was posited by a friend when asked why so many old southern anvils were hornless.  The reality was that it was a result of the civil war; but it was due to the fact that during reconstruction many smiths were too poor to repair or replace a damaged anvil and so they are still around today.

Unfortunately the Urban Legend is now being spread as truth. At least we know how the UL got started!

Started the canabilizing of my old broken tractor. Hydraulic control valve and hydraulic fluid holding tank with filter assembly. Pulling the pump next. Have a 30ton shop press frame I have made an agreement to buy which I will be reinforcing with additional steel. And if I’m lucky then I might be able to use a piston from the tractor as well. 

04AC1034-C34E-463F-8C24-FE2DA2C0E8AB.jpeg

Chimaera, I use the corners of my vertically-mounted rail anvil for bending and they only bummer is the low clearance for big parts. I hold the part against the side of the anvil and swing the hammer sideways into it. You can get any radius of curve bigger than or equal to the smallest radius of whatever you're hitting on. I made a hardy tool out of a bull pin, but I never wound up using it. Too wobbly.

Haven't done much at the forge lately. Been knee deep in head gaskets on an ML320.  Ended up with a "day off" from it today, so I broke down the forge, and installed the new firepot. Now I need to make up a sturdier stand for my "new" (old) Champion blower. I have a plan for that. And may do it tomorrow.

JD, for a first ever hook, that's a nice one. I like the twist too.  Now get to work makin' more, that anvil ain't shiny enough.  ;)

I haven’t been doing much forging lately either, mostly because I’ve got a pretty nasty case of tennis elbow that keeps me from doing too much hammering. However, I have been working on various pieces of machinery, and this weekend I finished up switching the motors between my two bandsaws. 

Here’s the motor (blue) that used to run the horizontal bandsaw, now attached to the gear reducer (green), which in turn is bolted onto a new hinged bracket that I welded up. The gray box on the upper left has the switch on the far side, easily accessible to the user; very ergonomic.

DBDB16D5-02D5-44E4-9193-0D7E8E3D05A7.jpeg

I am waiting for a new drive pulley to arrive in the mail; once that is attached, I’ll get a new belt to connect the motor and reducer to the saw.

Got these wood carving chisels, knives, whatever you want to call them. The person i am making them for says "Japanese style", i said "Huh...Ok what ever you want to call them." But they are to what he wants.

20210103_173246.thumb.jpg.1257977c722d958317642a9bd768afec.jpg

After doing that my daughters ex, grand babies dad, came over for me to help with his brakes. while doing that i blew out my knee. Anyway i watched a documentary called "Blacksmith" it was not about a blacksmith but a guy who cast statues out of bronze in Tibet, Nepal, Mongolia area. Pretty cool to watch even though it was not in English and subtitled.

No pics but had Phil over the shop today to learn a bit about forging. I forged a leaf keychain then let him forge one with a little instruction and he did great for a first. Think he's bit by the forging bug lol. Eh, he was before, now he's hooked.  We will meet again. Lots to learn. 

To make the curve on hooks I project the hot end off the edge of the anvil and tap downwards on the end, once a bend starts I place it on the anvil face with the end up and tap the end towards me varying the angle I strike at to form the curve to my liking.  I usually do the counter bend first.

Today I worked on a stair step twist to add to my twist display pieces; just for fun I made the hanging loop into a bottle opener.  The other end will get a dice twist. The end goal is to have a set on display to show the twists possible. Note all the cube cutting was done with a hacksaw, by hand and by eye. 1/2" square stock from an old railing.

step_twist2.thumb.jpeg.2375085b207ee6c42c978c56ff5891b6.jpeg

That looks really cool, Thomas.

I made a leaf, and learned that the scrap cutoffs my son gets from his job are tough as xxxx.  They are approximately 1/2 by 5/8 ar400 steel.  

Anyway, this leaf is just from a hunk of rebar.  I dunno what the ar400 is going to be

16097429100953094476228507288179.jpg

21 hours ago, BillyBones said:

We can make P-nut an honorary Buckeye i guess. 

I was born in Cincinnati hahahaha. Lived there the first two years of my life but my Mom wanted to get me out of the projects before I started school so we came to Covington KY. I don't think there's much difference though. Just a river. I'm sure you've heard the phrase Hamiltucky or Kentuckinatti. 

Pnut

15 hours ago, Chimaera said:

What are those chisels made of?

1/2" coil spring. Came off a Volvo if i remember correctly. They are a smaller diameter than what most American cars have. 

Pretty easy, took me maybe 2 hours to knock them out including time to figure out the process. Still need hardened and tempered, a little straightening and of course grinding. I will use a copper cap for the end of the handle towards the blade and i got a couple old broken hammer handles, hickory, i will use for the handle themselves. 

The person i am making them for insists they are Japanese style because they have a tang and not a socket. When i looked up Japanese style chisels ( i would not know Japanese style from Armenian myself) all of them had sockets. But hey, the customer is always right and if that is what he wants and wants to call them, who am i to disagree?