I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 8/4/2017 at 8:49 PM, littleblacksmith said:

I got my Etsy store up and running, and already got an order for 5 horse shoe hearts, so that's great!

Way to go, Mark! Bests of luck with the Etsy store!

Bests:

Gergely

I do demoing at festivals all weekend - so mobil shop time for me. Friday went with it till midnight. Then no sleep at all (I "slept" in yurt near one of the bars, nice and loud drunken people. I had a yurtmate who kept bringing empty beer cans and throwing them on the ground from 2 to 5 o'clock a.m. Then at 6 two heavily drunk guys came in for a nice long chat. I was even too tired to use my spear. :) ) Saturday 10 am to 10 pm. Quite heavy traffic. 

Now I'm leaving for another demo. Hopefully not too hard day ahead. I slept a bit but I'm still pretty tired, we'll see how things go...

Bests:

Gergely

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gergely: Might I suggest you NOT pitch your yurt next to a bar? I won't even park my car on the same block as a bar. Not counting our favorite Mexican Restaurant, they have a bar but are pretty careful about how much patrons are allowed to drink.

Bests on your demo circuit.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Gergely!

Etsy store is going really really well. I thought it would just be a complete dud, but I have sold the 5 horse shoe hearts, today I woke up and I sold a herb chopper, and yesterday I was asked if I could make 65 herb choppers!:o she first wants one to see how she likes it and then if she does like it, then well, I better get to work!

Littleblacksmith

On 8/3/2017 at 6:00 PM, Michael said:

Here you go Andrew

Very impressive! I wouldn't mind having a few of them on them the mantle!

19 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

today I woke up and I sold a herb chopper, and yesterday I was asked if I could make 65 herb choppers!

Why on earth would one need 65 herb choppers? Maybe she means to give them away as gifts? I almost wonder if she isn't planning on reselling them at a higher price (similar unfortunate situations have happened to smiths I know). Or maybe she's just hosting a large wedding....

On 8/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, littleblacksmith said:

once school starts parents say there wont be much blacksmithing....got 3 more weeks.:unsure:

I know, I can't believe summer is almost over! I've got a really busy college schedule lined up this semester, so I feel your pain. At least there's fall break to look forward to.

24 minutes ago, Andrew Martin said:

Why on earth would one need 65 herb choppers?

she sells cutting boards, and I guess these are sold along with them, but yeah, she will most likely make some money on me, especially because I am selling one of the cheapest ( and in my opinion nicer) herb choppers on there.

Littleblacksmith

What did I do in my shop today....

4 hours of scrubbing , shop vac-ing & cleaning resulted in just shy of 1/2 my shop getting cleaned.

Looks like it's going to almost be 1 hour of cleaning for every hour of grinding .

Next time, xxxx being nice to the neighborhood. I'll grind outside where cleanup involves the garden hose!!!

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

wow ,,purty shop,,I was measuring and figuring for a water trap and air lines to plumb in a compressor,, have most all the fittings but will still cost near 200.00 for the copper pipe, ball valves, air connectors and such,, hope to find a 3/4 hydro hose laying around  to use for a flex hose from compressor to the water trap,, I know I got one somewhere, If the shop looked like grumpy's it would be in my hand already

2 hours ago, Reeltree said:

wow ,,purty shop,,I was measuring and figuring for a water trap and air lines to plumb in a compressor,, have most all the fittings but will still cost near 200.00 for the copper pipe, ball valves, air connectors and such,, hope to find a 3/4 hydro hose laying around  to use for a flex hose from compressor to the water trap,, I know I got one somewhere, If the shop looked like grumpy's it would be in my hand already

I've found so many things under all the saw dust & grinding crud!!!

I should probably do this more often.

We bought the empty lot behind us.

It had three out buildings.

I took down one but may convert one of the others into a metal working shop and leave my current shop woodworking.

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Gergely: Might I suggest you NOT pitch your yurt next to a bar? I won't even park my car on the same block as a bar. Not counting our favorite Mexican Restaurant, they have a bar but are pretty careful about how much patrons are allowed to drink.

Bests on your demo circuit.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, Frosty! It was a yurt built for children to play in by day. So no choice for me - I only could decide whether I sleep in it or somewhere under a bush, so I chose the "civilisation" :) And also I could drag my shop in it for cover - it was just 15 meters far from my shop place.

Yesterday went silently - no rush, no pain. I actually talked more than forged. Still worked for me well. 

9 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Thank you Gergely!

Etsy store is going really really well. I thought it would just be a complete dud, but I have sold the 5 horse shoe hearts, today I woke up and I sold a herb chopper, and yesterday I was asked if I could make 65 herb choppers!:o she first wants one to see how she likes it and then if she does like it, then well, I better get to work!

Littleblacksmith

I'm very glad to hear that, Mark! Go and rock 'em! :)

8 minutes ago, Gergely said:

I'm very glad to hear that, Mark! Go and rock 'em! :)

Thank you!

before the order I needed a belt sander, now I REALLY need one!! but luckily the order will pay for it.

Littleblacksmith

Ooohhhhh I need it! especially since I do some knives, and obviously then just for grinding tools, chisels punches hammers, anything steel or metal! I cant wait to get one, I just cant find on that meets everything I want..... Worst part is I may need it quite soon if the lady is satisfied and puts in an order for the 65 choppers.

Littleblacksmith

Nice collection LB! Be proud of that work man, your doing great!!!

I drew out some long tapers on 3/4 rebar,... I see now why you guys hate the stuff!   They will be pull up handles for a friend and he wanted the rebar texture for the grips.    

Wasn't worth it though. i could have done that a different way. Blisters from a bad handle and bad stock hahaa!!!  

Im not tooled up for such things. Need a power hammer asap!

15021556082861830841640.jpg

As a newbie I was checking how long it takes to get my mini forge up to temp and how long it takes to get a bolt back to working temp between trips to the anvil.

Also punched my first hole in steel.

Attempted a scroll.

I know, nothing earth shattering and kindergarten stuff for you guys, but I'm having fun!

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

32 minutes ago, GrumpyBiker said:

Also punched my first hole in steel.

Nice job on your first punched hole. 

Now, to anyone that tells you " just drill it it's faster/ easier" ask them how long it takes them to make a square hole. :) 

51 papy, nice jewelry holder. 

I've been working on a couple of salt pots. Playing with Kastolite 30, sheet metal bending and PIDs.

IMG_2950.JPG

Having fun with the spray paint.

IMG_2949.JPG

The core for casting the Kastolite.

IMG_2954.JPG

Relative success at getting the Kastolite to conform to the core.

IMG_2956.JPG

One cast with two-part lid, one to go.

IMG_2957.JPG

My sheet metal box bending (without a proper brake).

SaltPot.JPG

Heating coils in, control box wired and everything mounted to hand trucks.

A few more details and the salt pots will be done.

Makes my day in the shop feel wimpy but I finally got the last of my 2" x 72" belt grinder finished, lacking paint just in case, and did some grinding on the long seax blank Theo sent me. The motor is only 1/2 hp but it still moves a lot of metal fast. I'm going to need a water can soon. The final tweaks will be figuring out what height I like and building the stand. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎9‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, GrumpyBiker said:

Also punched my first hole in steel

And you did well! You managed to centre the punch accurately to pop out a perfect plug like that without having it hinge on the back. Now, let's see if you can do ten in a row like that!! :D