I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

And you did well! You managed to centre the punch accurately to pop out a perfect plug like that without having it hinge on the back. Now, let's see if you can do ten in a row like that!! :D

Hey now, I'm still rollin with training wheels here.:D

But I have decided to build a burner & another forge .

Something more efficient .

Still reading & researching but loving all there is to learn. A little overwhelmed but lovin it.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

60th---that's because the iron gifts when thrown at spouses can cause major damage!  So you want to be very sure a breakup is not lurking in the future.  My parents managed to celebrate their 63rd wedding anniversary this year in February before my Father died in July.

Finished a sorta Kukri style chopper, forged from a farrier rasp, not sure what handle wood it has....

also finished a small little knife. Mesquite handle wood and a blued blade.

Forged 3 dinner bells with ringers and hangers. I did a little different of a bend. In order to get it to bend right where I wanted it to do, I first fullered it thinner so it would bend at the fuller. I don't know, I think It also adds a little bit more style, that way it's not just a bent up piece of round bar. I had never seen one done like this, stinkin simple though.

Then the radio broadcaster came out (K.O.) and struck for me on a little 2lb rounding hammer forged from 4140. Just need to grind the faces, heat treat it, and handle it.

Not sure how to get the pictures in order, whoops.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_0056[1].JPG

IMG_0058[1].JPG

IMG_0059[1].JPG

IMG_0061[1].JPG

IMG_0062[1].JPG

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0057[1].JPG

Cool, cool, cool, Mark!

Among many other things that I totally forgot to take pictures of, grr, I made this for a friend. Starting stock was an octagonal punching tool, so very quick little project.598e69167ac42_201708pontozo.thumb.jpg.993bfbb151eeeaee8022b26cd85682b7.jpg

Also made 80 lucky horseshoes to pay the bills :)

Bests:

Gergely

Thanks Chris! The handle feels pretty good too.                                                                                                                  

Littleblacksmith

Got sick and tired of waiting for better weather and fewer mosquitos so I went out and fired up the propane forge on the front porch and worked on a fork from some 1020 1/4" rod, a rasptlesnake and a bottle opener from an UNPLATED open end wrench; only 96 degF and high humidity (for NM). It was amusing to watch the flies, horseflies and mosquitos find out about the dragon's breath the hard way and I even kept most of the hair on my bare arms!

I have proved in the bottle opener and will clean it up after work sometime this week for sale at our church's Country Fair.

Got my new grinder today. It isn't anything special, it is just a 2x48 attachment that goes on a bench grinder, but boy do I love that thing! it grinds real nice, so much better than what I had been using.

The other day I forged some steak turners, and a few more dinner bells, and helped with a memorial for an officer who was killed 5 years ago who was the father of a friend in my 3rd-4th grade class.. Believe it or not, in the close to 3 years Ive been doing this, I have never made a steak turner! seems like every body is making them.

anyways, 1 left handed, and 3 right handed. They're are on the smaller size, 1/4" square, hand is there for size reference.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6948[1].JPG

IMG_6949[1].JPG

Oh, thank you for that! I was forgetting something, and now your brought it to mind. Yes, that big red thing on my hand was a burn from that 2lb hammer you seen in an earlier post....the striker (wont name names....though I already have in earlier post)  had a missed blow and sent the orange hot hammer a little ways, hitting my hand. I am quite proud of it though. yes, so Gergely, your hammer has cost me some skin!

Littleblacksmith

A couple of bull camp oven lifters for the tourists, an s-hook from stainless steel (that took three times as long to make as one in MS), a small ball pein hammer reshaped, and a first go at forging a water buffalo head.

DSC_8093.JPG

DSC_8094 (2).JPG

6 hours ago, Gergely said:

:) I really don't know what to say, Mark. Can't say I'll do the same for you :D Although I do appreciate you giving blood to my hammer-to-be... 

I hope you're okay.

Naw, your fine, I was just sorta messin with you. What? your not going to do the same? its part of the deal man.:)

I'm fine, you should have heard they guy who was striking for me, I cant remember how many times he said sorry. Feel bad for they guy, It wasn't that big of a deal.

Littleblacksmith

No fair this weekend, so I have to catch up a bit with the comission stuff.

Two medals for reanactors, made of 30m dia circle.

5993ac48b72a8_201708keresztek.thumb.jpg.3d4577e156d76b9cdcb7920416d5961f.jpg

9" long decorative nail, made of 3/4 / 20mm square:

5993ac4d7686f_201708nagyszeg.thumb.jpg.e0ac7f9bf8e7a3186ec5512cfe7701aa.jpg

Prototype of plum shaped keyfob for a motel. Same 30mm dia circle plate stock used for it. Made two half round hot chisel for this job. 1045 did not work, I can tell ;) Good old coil spring does the job well.

5993ac57bba2c_201708szilva1.thumb.jpg.7a95ff2609f645e5e304fdcdfc005614.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

3 hours ago, Kevin Olson said:

Hey Gergely. Can you tell how you made the medals. They look like something i could pedal at the renaissance festival here. 

Hi Kevin,

I have some (~1000 pcs) of these 30mm / 1 1/4" dia, 3mm/ 1/8" thick circles. I took them, and made the cuts you see in the second picture. Originally I used these blanks for making flowerheads. But when I was asked to make these sorts of medals I figured it will work just as fine. The only trick is to hammer the radius direction edges of the "petals" to get the circumference line straight-ish. I use a small ball peen for the job. Tried to achieve some rib at the right one above. I punch the hole after the shaping is done, because that way I can see which one is the most weakly shaped of the four - that's the one getting the hole in it. 

I put a small copper ring in the hole, that way they can put any sort of cord through it.

59946eafa0127_201610viragosret01.thumb.jpg.dccb1a2582a96cc72312e6a8e4a7db03.jpg

59946ebf40586_201610viragosret03.thumb.jpg.fa006c88e4300abc921a3f553ff1fa74.jpg

Got a handle made for Gergelys hammer, just hickory with some real straight grain. Also got the hammer ground. The handle is just set inside the eye, I still have to heat treat it. 

Also made a wedge for the handle, just out of a scrap knife handle piece. Thought it would add a little. I was wanting a dark wood, but I didn't have any scraps big enough, so I picked the next most interesting wood. 

Also got a sheath made. 

Ive been trying to do less physical activitys as my back is screwed up at the moment. Problem is is that I got an order for 10 herb choppers, and got to do other stuff too.

Littleblacksmith 

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG