I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

The fellow I talked with said they were given a certain sized square and were required to reduce everything in it down to "acceptable" size  in one day with a 12 hour shift length.  Sure made me glad to be sitting in an office staring at a screen all day!

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, EJRailRoadTrack said:

And I'm sure I could swing a 12, but I don't like to. I feel being consistent  is more important. But yes, Whatever gets it done the safest .

right, being consistant is more important , which for me is easier done with a 12 than a 6lb.

littleblacksmith 

Only thing i accomplished today was acquiring a pretty bad gimp in my right leg when one of my guys was not paying attention to where he was aiming a large timber..... aint broke but it aint rite..not white anymore ether lol 

50 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

i totally concur. i have not done a whole lot of striking, but i have split my share of wood, and have i found i like a 12. i wouldn't mind even a bit bigger, but i am big person, and that is natural. 

Im trying to find a 14 and a 16, just to try them out, and then for laughs just like a 20lb and if i can find one, one larger than that.

Littleblacksmith 

6 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Im trying to find a 14 and a 16, just to try them out, and then for laughs just like a 20lb and if i can find one, one larger than that.

You're welcome to try out The Mastadon (l) if you're ever up this way. 

IMG_2840.JPG

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Got about half a dragon done over the weekend.

Ooooooo, please post pictures when you're finished! I think it looks wonderful already; I can only imagine how masterful the finished piece will be. Would you mind if I showed the pictures of it to my mother and older sister? They're very much into dragons and while we've seen dragon head finials, I can't recall ever seeing the whole dragon being forged.

56 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Littleblacksmith 

I have a 5k and a 10k ... what's that? 11lb and 22lb. They surely get very little use. 

The letter is described to show '1000'. The prefix 'kilo' is derived from the Greek word chilioi or khilioi. Its short form was used for the metric system.

So 5k could mean $5000 if de discussion was about money. Since the context is weight, it is rather obvious it means 5000g ... if you want to say kilometers you need the letter m after it. Unless we are hiking and you tell me we have another 5k to go. I will understand then that I probably must give up. In a metric country 5k is perfectly acceptable for 5 kilograms. Now if you want to enter the kilo force vs the kilo mass kaboodle, I pass. Too boring. :) 

By the way ... a much more interesting subject is the weight of hammers people refer to as their prefered hammer. Usually the weight of a hammer is related to the job and not the strength of the arm in question. I have to smile when people seem to make a contest about the size of their prefered hammer. The classic ...is bigger better? comes to mind. I try to use my 10k sledge hammer to forge my next scroll ... :)

IMG_1027.thumb.JPG.5f3501b0bd706738a0679a4b6efd0ae3.JPGStarted Friday evening with the little hooks. We use them in our storage room. Then grabbed a jackhammer bit I've had for a while and made a cutoff hardy for my Fisher. It's not pretty but it works well. Today I was home early and my daughter asked me to make her another leaf, she "helped" in it's making. I then had 6" of 3/8" rd left over and made my first chain link. One down, many more to go.

10 hours ago, Michael said:

Got about half a dragon done over the weekend. Made many dragon heads, but not the full thing. 5/8 bar, about 2 hours for the head in the coal forge and another hour each for the feet/legs/wings.

I like the photo with its mouth all aglow.  He looks like he is ready to fry some knights.

Mel

8 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I am trying to find a 14 and a 16, just to try them out, and then for laughs just like a 20lb and if i can find one, one larger than that.

I searched until I got a full range of long handled heavy hammers. 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 pounds. I do not like an 8 pound as it does not feel comfortable to me. The 10 pound and I get along very nicely. Not surprisingly the 12 pound hammer works harder than I do, I just can not keep up with it for any extended length of time. I have used a 16 pound hammer and lack control and stamina for that weight hammer, so I do not kid myself.

I find the 6 pound is a GREAT hammer for a longer time at hammering. It can be used to strike many rapid blows for a surprisingly long time, with great aim and control.

The 6 pound hammer is the hammer of choice by Bruce Wilcox and crew for forging anchors.

Worked more on my demo setup. Have a collapsible forge in the works too. Still a bit to go on the anvil stand and vise stand but the main part is figured out. 

Used the unfinished vise and stand to hold the anvil stand for welding. 

Going to make an expanded metal tray on the bracing on the anvil stand as well as hammer holders and things. As well as holders on the vise stand. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

20 hours ago, Andrew Martin said:

Would you mind if I showed the pictures of it to my mother and older sister? They're very much into dragons and while we've seen dragon head finials, I can't recall ever seeing the whole dragon being forged.

Sure, go right ahead.  I'm borrowing ideas (at least 3 or 4) from other smiths in this project.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:17 AM, JHCC said:

Sorry, "wildly". Yes, even the Grammar Hammer makes the occasional typo.

Darn, I thought I had a new word for windmilling, better go edit my vocabulary. . . .again!

I'll have to remember the heavy hammer's tendency to make a person swing more carefully. I have a couple occasional students who fall into the aspergers spectrum and can use a little moderation at the anvil. It's an idea worth a try, I usually have to give them something to do to tire them out a little before they'll slow down. Move stuff, sweep, sort tools, etc. a little warm up calm down thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Today, Bubba made his first S-hook. 

IMG_3273.JPG

And I made a nice scrolling wrench:

IMG_3312.JPG

And a support for longer stock in the forge (shown here supporting a 42" length of torsion bar).

IMG_3315.JPG

As you can see, this is just a bent length of rebar that fits between two of the boards in the pallet that make up the underside of my JABOD. It's held in place by torsion, gravity, and the elasticity of those boards, and can be adjusted in-and-out and side-to-side (but not up-and-down) as needed for different lengths and weights of stock.

18 hours ago, Glenn said:

I have used a 16 pound hammer and lack control and stamina for that weight hammer, so I do not kid myself.

I have just discovered that a 16 lb. hammer held one-handed is great for one specific task: a single hard hit on my touchmark.

Well, I didn't do much, but my 13 y.o. son came home from Scout camp. He earned his metalworking merit badge, part of which included making a spatula and learning to use a coal forge. Too cool! We used it (the spatula, not the coal forge) to flip the burgers on the grill - it works.

IMG_2968.JPG