I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

14 hours ago, JHCC said:

straightened a coil spring

Forgot to mention: this was the first time I straightened a long spring with my spring-straightening jig since I added the gas forge and could therefore heat almost the entire spring at once. It worked great; the long section shown here was all stretched out in the first heat:

CBB0E1E1-2E8C-4EC3-99B8-879BDED35988.jpeg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the gasser to a war practice, (SCA, not very medieval set up; but propane was all the site would allow).  Slow start so I worked on an S hook from an extrememly corroded piece of steel---going for the "found on the side of the trail look".  It is a "pay for the propane piece".   Later I managed to rope in some new students. One was a slight lady that had a lot of confidence issues, always apologizing for "ruining" the piece---when it was just pretty normal new smith hammer control issues. She wanted me to do the twist; but as I had a post vise and twisting wrench to hand, I told her she needed to do it.  Wow how she lit up when she saw a beautifu even twist that she had done!  (I did move it from the forge to the vise and set the wrench as I can do that *fast*.)

Another had had a previous class with me and wanted to work on an eating knife to match a fork and spoon he had.  Well I had several pieces of my "eating knife stock".  Thin spring steel strap---was a used sewer snake I bought at a local fleamarket---100' for US$7 IIRC.   I remind them that even prions can't stand *glowing* temps.

Finally about time to break down a fellow showed up and said he wanted to smith since he was a kid. (Funny he still looked like a kid to me...) So we kept it going, (did a hot forge load and transport home!)

I also sold off 2 postvises, another battered odd vise, a half dozen pairs of tongs and a mill ball all  part of the hoard and paying down what I owe my CFO/Spouse.

Sunday was Annual meeting at Church and so didn't get much shop time.  Did a bit more clean up and penetrating oil spraying. tagged 9 tongs and a couple of hardy tools with my tool colour (also from the hoard but I'm keeping them!). Finally removed the bottom die from the Hawkeye helve hammer;  had 6 pieces of steel wedged/pounded in to hold it in place rather than just make the correct wedge for it---sheesh!  I kept dosing it with penetrating oil and found a end of a tapered leaf spring that would fit in and rest against my best bet without wedging the sides any.  Would oil it, hit it with a sledge 10 times, then oil it again and let it sit while I did some cleaning in the shop and repeat, about the 8th time there was a "ting" as that piece shot out and hit the floor and the rest would just pull out with my fingers.  

I also fixed a drooping clothes rod in our closet by installing a shelf above it and putting a screw in hook to hold the middle of the rod up.  Monolithic Biavicide at it's best!

I'm behind on commenting on everyone's work, but there's been awesome stuff shown. I've been practicing knife forms in 5160, and I took a break from that. Such a difference working plain ole steel after that. I had to stop myself from hitting too hard. Anyway, just a bottle opener but it was fun. Sometimes I feel like Billy Bones was talking about and feel like I'm going backwards. Need to practice the simpler things more often

20200203_124634.jpg

Historically; every time I've sold on a tool, I have ended up desperately needing it in just a short while.  So I find it quite painful to be shoving this stuff out the door.  The idea of selling off a 248# PW anvil is like passing gall stones, (Been there, done that, got the scar!); but I have heavier shop anvils to stay put and lighter ones to travel; so why need an intermediate one?

On the other hand tool poor NM is getting a chance.  I'm going through the local SCA and NM ABA first before I use CL, save that I may put the anvil out on CL as it should help the payoff substantially... I keep telling myself that every grandchild (8) does not need to inherit a 6" postvise and 150#+ anvil (and my will will demand DNA tests!)

This is supposed to encourage folks to go out hunting!  (Not me!)  You note we tend to get two types of anvil posts:  "Can't afford an anvil at current prices" and "I was just given an anvil!"  I would prefer to increase the latter type.

Now there is something I'm planning to put on tailgating soon. I have a champion #40 hand crank blower where the fan shroud has been broken on one side and a couple of the vanes were bent; but the gear box looks great.  Just in case anyone needs champion 40 gear(s).  We've said that folks need to find a donor and so here is one!  (Glenn has first dibs; we need to check if his need matches any of the gears in the gear box...)

2 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

I'm behind on commenting on everyone's work, but there's been awesome stuff shown

I'm in the same boat as you. Been so busy with life that I haven't had time to do more than check the new posts before I have to be back on the run. Very nice wolf opener. 

In haven't been to the shop in over a week, but I have been working with metal, though it's only hot when I connect it to a power source. Our sow pasture went from nice solid dirt to 8 inch deep rust red "snot" mud overnight, so I've spent the last week electric fencing a new 10 acre area for them and moving them into it when im not showing or delivering puppies (we raise mini Dachshunds). In fact as I type I'm waiting at the airport to pick up a new stud and his sister for our breeding program. English creams if you're wondering what color.

I have been researching alot in the 10 minutes of spare time I have in between chores and I am quite excited about making tuned wind chimes out of some old pipe we have laying around. If anyone is interested in how to get a certain tone from a chime check out leehite.org , quite a bit of good info there about chimes.  I even managed to make a XL file where all I need to put in is the ID, OD and frequency(hz) I want and it pops out the length I need to cut for that tone

It's not the hearing but the feeling!  I remember a theater organ club that had a 16 cycle organ pipe, 32' long as I remember, they didn't play it often as it would shake plaster of the ceiling; but I did attend a showing of the original Phantom of the Opera, (silent!) where it was used to good effect.

Shabumi, thank you. We are getting ready for a new batch of chickens. 100 of them. We've been building chicken tractors and brooders and getting everything ready for them. They are due for delivery Wednesday. It was near 80 yesterday. 60s today and tomorrow. 38 for a high and 30 for a low Wednesday and wintry mix. Just in time for new chicks. Mud and rain has been prevalent here. 

Billy, don't forget to post a picture of your opener. Maybe you'll come up with something I can steal right back! Can't wait to see it

CGL, I love that wolf!

Yesterday I Worked on a handled slitter/slot punch for hammer eyes. Not perfect, had to correct a mistake early on, but getting better! 

Working end is 7/8”x1/8” set the diagonal for a comfortable working position with the slot parallel to the anvil. Still need to sharpen it, but not sure if I’ll make it a slitter or a punch. I’ve had much better luck with slitters, but everyone seems to recommend punching hammer eye. Any thoughts on which way I should go? (I’m thinking slitter, because I want to leave as much material as possible for cheeks on Swedish pattern hammers.)

Thanks, 

David

3B7BCA18-99FC-4303-ACC0-4FF165951C25.jpeg

822291F9-72E1-4EF2-81DE-4AC0372C736C.jpeg

A3EBFD68-8AA2-4370-8655-9BFF67FED0FB.jpeg

CGL nice job. that finial on the bottle end has started a new take on it.. Nice job JHCC for sharing it.. IIRC.. 

Goods.  I like it.  I would have founded out the edges more towards the handle only to speed up the drifting process.  but "It will slot"..  :) 

If you are making swedish style hammers you will want to retain as much meat in the eye as possible..  I might even upset a little before punching.. 

With this in mind using a round punch and punching up to size and then using the mandrel you can pull the area where you need it.. 

Punching round can actually leave a smaller slug than a slotting punch because of the length of the slot..   

I've been on a knife kick lately since CGL hit me up.  But hammers are on the list..  

What is your starting stock size? 

JLP,  recently, I have been using handles that have a rectangular “tang(?)”, so I’ve left the tool rectangular, but I also considered rounding the corners more. They are a little harsh now.

Right now, I’m mainly gearing up for an IBA demo in June, where I’m planning on making wrought iron steel faced hammer. I can waste a bunch of time not having all the right tools at home, but I’ll have to streamline everything for the demo (and practice, lots of practice!) For material, I’m planning on welding up the 3/4” wrought iron I have into 2”x2”x3” billets with 5160 for the face and peen. (I my head that about 3.5lbs before losses and should draw out to 2”square face about 6” long. I could be way off though.) I still have a lot of work to get done.

I’m looking forward to that next video. I ready get a lot out of them!

Thanks, David

On 1/27/2020 at 8:36 AM, Goods said:

Shoshinjoe, the garden tool is fantastic. I’ll have to put that on my ever growing list!

Hammerheart, those are pretty cool and even a little scary. Is  hatchet really the right term for those, and is there an intended use?

Thanks! And I'm honestly not sure to be honest. Uhh Maybe veggie choppers is more like it : ) 

39 minutes ago, Goods said:

wrought iron steel faced hammer. I can waste a bunch of time not having all the right tools at home, but I’ll have to streamline everything for the demo (and practice, lots of practice!) For material, I’m planning on welding up the 3/4” wrought iron I have into 2”x2”x3” billets with 5160 for the face and peen.

You have seen the steeled wrought iron hammer build video, yes?? 

22 minutes ago, JHCC said:

“Who is more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” — Obi-Wan Kenobi

One persons fool is another persons Genius.. Jennifer P..