• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So this is my first project from my class that actually got hung up.  I made a hook for my wife to hang her keys on in the barn.  Nothing fancy but she really likes it.

20180720_122331.jpg

BTW JHCC - nice card holder - I may have to "borrow" the design if you don't mind.

No pics, but I made a whole bunch of hooks!  

Next big project is going to be a hook-bending jig with a handle and everything.  It's going to allow me to bend cold, which is far better than bending hot, in my opinion.

I'll probably design it at the same time I design the big bender I have in mind.

Vaughn for myself it became a large factor as to using bending jigs vs not..  Production wise you can't beat a jig or a bending jig as it simply is repeatable and fast.. 

I had the mind bending of perfection in hand work..   For each one I could make the time frames got shorter and shorter and the ability to make the hooks faster and faster.. Of course it has a limited time frame as it still takes longer by hand.. 

Congrats to moving over to production work.. It shows your shop is growing.. 

We’re packing and getting ready to head out on a family trip, so no time to fire up the forge. However, I did sneak into the shop long enough to cut apart and put away the leaf spring packs I got yesterday and to weld a loop onto the hardy adapter for my bench vise, so I can wedge it tightly onto the striking anvil. 

A7D60851-D4C7-45B2-B40F-E05602174715.jpeg

It’s not meant for striking. The hardy adapter is so that I can hold it solidly on a rigid base (e.g., for filing or drilling something), since I don’t have it mounted on a bench (nor indeed a bench to mount it on).

Three sizes, actually: 3” ID at the very top, 2” ID in the middle tier, and 1-1/2” ID for the bottom tier. The 3” is offcuts from the driveshaft that forms the center pedestal, and the rest is salvaged water pipe.

I had planned a two-tier rack, only to realize after welding it up that it wouldn’t hold any more than the old rack. Fortunately, I had enough of the smaller pipe that I could make the third tier without any major issues.  

By the way, here’s another sneak-out quick welding project, just finished: an adjustable scrolling jig for the post vise. 

EB803B05-E990-42C6-A35E-780E314ED368.jpeg