I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

3 hours ago, iron woodrow said:

No need to get complicated. A big tube with the blast going in and a smaller copper tube shoved in at an angle so it dribbles oil into the air flow as it enters the furnace. The design failed initially because chips were clogging the ball valve. Filtering solved that and now she runs like a dream.

iron Woodrow, could you please start a new thread in the proper section with drawings and photographs, so that others interested in such a setup can find it easily? Thanks.

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Marc1 said:

You use fish and chip oil with chips still in it? :P

When the oil is emptied out of the fryer it is put into drums. There are still chips and other bits at the bottom of the fryer... and thence the drum.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

iron Woodrow, could you please start a new thread in the proper section with drawings and photographs, so that others interested in such a setup can find it easily? Thanks.

Im not ready for that sort of responsibility. People would be asking questions and asking for plans.

You know what i always say about plans? i dont have one!

As i said, no fancy stuff required, just a way to regulate and dribble the oil into the airblast, a good size blower, and a suitable refractory lined vessel. And no chips. 

I made this shoe horn at a demo I did on Sunday, at the museum I have been volunteering at pretty happy with how it came out for a test piece.

It was a really good day there were two other smiths in the forge so had to share through the day.

One of them is 87 years old and been forging since he was 13 he had some brilliant stories. Apparently he left school at 13 because when he told his teacher he could get a job as a smith he was told well he best get to it.

Cheers,

Luke

Shoe Horn.jpg

Well we all have failures. Was going to be a nice draw knife. It broke while I was putting the handle on. I was using file handles, and I wanted it on further so I was holding one end of the draw knife and hitting the other end on the anvil to drive the handle on further. The way it broke and how it broke could have been a scene from forged in fire it was so bad haha.

Image may contain: outdoor

3 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Every time something like that happens to me, just before the break, the voices in my head are screaming no no don't do that. Why don't I listen to them?

Can't get a consensus?

My voices get in regular arguments and they all make good blacksmith sense.

Frosty The Lucky.

haha, yeah I was kinda thinkin it was a dumb thing to do. And the other thing was there was a small micro crack that I think was from forging the bevel in too cold. It broke where the small crack was. I also should have normalized it, that would have helped with the grain size some. Oh well, was a good learning experience.

Littleblacksmith 

Das totally beat me with that :) You got two nice herb choppers now, Mark. Good luck has shined on you...

I'm all hearts and horseshoes these days, but here is something little different:

1904239632_201807kesviking1.thumb.jpg.73463befb3de1ba3304fed068742c900.jpg

A man bought one a couple months ago, he gave it to an American friend of his, and now as his birthday is coming his wife ordered this as a replacement. My favorite kind of costumer is the returning one. :)

Bests:

Gergely

6 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Every time something like that happens to me, just before the break, the voices in my head are screaming no no don't do that. Why don't I listen to them?

I learned as a flintknapper to stop when that little voice says not to do something after breaking many a flint points in various stages of finish work.  It's served me well in blacksmithing, especially with getting burned.  That voice says "Ah, MC you better get a hold of that piece better before hitting it." or "Ah, MC let that piece drop clear and jump back." B)

I paid extra for the OSHA-approved flip flops. 

Car is long gone, but the axles were from a CV joint replacement. Cheaper to buy the whole CV/axle assembly than to disassemble and replace just the joint. So I ended up with axles. 

(If I do more than a couple heats, I put on leather shoes. I work from home and I put my office in my workshop. Most days the forge stays idle but every now and then I get a conference call where I have to attend but I don’t really have anything to add. It’s a bit awkward when I forget to mute myself.)

11 hours ago, JHCC said:

Or did you reach for a piece of steel at black heat, and that little voice says “MC, can’t touch this!”

Oh yeah, then I just spun around and said "Stop.......Hammer Time!"  and went back to work.:lol:

On 8/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, ThomasPowers said:

There are pictures of  steel toed flip flops out there, I believed they were Australian.  (hmm here is a pair, a bit upscale from the ones I remember: www.sandipointe.com/im/sandals/steel-toe-sandals-0.jpg)

steel-toe-sandals-0.jpg

No steel toed flip flops over here, mate, We use steel cap thongs.