• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here’s the little hammer JHCC and I worked on yesterday.  In reality, he worked on it and I missed with the sledge hammer.  Decided to make it into a two sided fullering hammer with two different radiuses.  Been wanting a leaf making hammer for a while.

5810602B-C559-4700-9A84-952B0DBDD5D4.thumb.jpeg.79542d07d7dacc1956354145b461cffc.jpeg

9 hours ago, SFC Snuffy said:

No forging today, but I picked up Tylecote's The Solid Phase Welding of Metals through ILL.

No forging for me either, but your comment made me take a trip over to the web and purchase a copy as well..    :) 

JHCC and Lou, Nice job on the hammer and chisel.. 

I still like to use a round punch for eye forming an got eventually to the point of where an eye drift wasn't needed unless I was making the cheeks of the eye longer like when making a ball peen..  On a square or a cross section with square side with practice the eye ratios I prefer were possible.. 

Yeah, we wanted to try that, but didn’t have a round punch of the right dimensions. I’m making a big round punch in my home forge and will be trying that method on my next handled tool. 

And Thank You! It was still attached to the parent bar when I left, and I’m looking forward to seeing it ground and finished. 

20 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Michael, a couple of tips for the next one, forge at a yellow heat, and find a good straight peen hammer. The peen will work the thickness down faster and in one direction compared to the rounding hammer that spreads it in all directions.

Thanks for the tip, that vid was the tail end of the sledge work, when things went a little parallelogram and I switched to the hand hammer to correct before taking another heat. I worked too cold for years of self taught fumbling before meeting other smiths who set me right. 12 lb sledge is a straight peen(6 lb in the vid), won’t even think about one handing that hammer

Beautiful work..  Way to go.. :) 

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

Brent Bailey has a video showing how he uses a round punch under his 250 lb. LG to form the eye of a cross peen hammer. 

No Drifts needed..  It is punched with just a round punch..  

There are ways to shorten the time it takes to do any to these forging operations..Mind you using that power hammer shortened up the process quite a bit.    In the video he uses the drifts to get the eye shape he wanted..    This is controlled during the punching and if done right the eye is perfect without additional working or re working.. 

Beautiful chandeliers Alexandr!

Nice hammer stand JHCC. Wish I had enough hammers to justify something like that.

58er, dragon looks real good.

I'm in the shop playing with my new 12" contact wheel on my belt grinder. Finding that hollow grind bevels are a bear to get looking right, but the blade rest I just made is helping a lot.

Made a bunch of hooks for some folks, and have more to make over the next few days.

IMG_6743.thumb.JPG.14f2e6813259e8634385fae470fe9c3c.JPG

And since I was making hooks, I thought I'd do something a little different and make a hook to hang my nice apron on.  Picked a bit of 3/8" round out of the scrap bin to tinker with, and ended up having a dickin's of a time deciding were to take the finial.  I started out thinking I'd just to a simple ball.  Then I thought I'd play around with a diamond.  Got to this point... and kind of like the look.  If I'd had the time, I would probably have gone full-diamond with it, but there's no saying I can't heat and beat tomorrow!

IMG_6745.thumb.JPG.e379379e81de1d47fcc88f2901151cf1.JPG

It was definitely fun to get out of the rut I've been in.