• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh. I touched a nerve haha. Sorry. They are Anvils so no worries. Eh, ask a hundred blacksmiths get 500 answers.... opinions are like belly buttons and such. The good the bad and the ugly. 

Vulcan anvils Are Anvils..  .

32 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Sorry.

No need to be sorry on my end Das. No nerve struck here. I was just agreeing that it will work. A 70 pound and a little beat up, yeah, he will probably want to upgrade at some point, but that should definitely get him started for sure.

Not today but I made my second pair of tongs at the weekend, decided to make a heavy set of scrolling tongs. Which I have been wanting for ages I am pretty happy with them.

It was hot work, it was 30C outside and got to 54C in the forge.

20180715_161704.jpg

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Hey it'll get you started till you upgrade. Looks like a lower end vulcan but no worries. Use it till you grow out of it. Keep forging and reasearching and learning!

Yes it is, but the price was right. The hardy hole looks like it was supposed to be 3/4" square, but it's short on one dimension and long on the other. Don't know anything about hardy holes other than what they're used for. Is this common?

After 4 unimproved interventions of police enforcement and 3 call ups to the local government (in the last two months) -I prepare myself for a future law suit against the already mentioned neighbor (with the power hammer aversion and too much time):(.

Covered recently the adjacent wall against his property with extra noise insulation bevel mats which brings the cost of the wall of 1200 bucks and a noise reduction to 70 db(A) (sound of a passing car) for 3 minutes of use in between of 6 minutes re-heat of the work piece to prepare the rough stuff before finishing by hand on the anvil.

Even the mats already fire retardant I will cover them with an extra layer of impregnation and heat resistant blankets.

Wish me luck. Hans  

DSC00601.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

No pictures, but Lou L and I met up at his forge and banged out a small diagonal peen hammer out of one of Lou's jackhammer bits. It was kind of rough-and-ready, with me grinding a slitting chisel/eye drift out of a big cold chisel first. It was cooling in the forge when I left, and Lou's going to cut it from the parent bar, grind it to final shape, and heat treat later.

Fun was had.

Oh I know 30C I can cope with not to bad, just really felt that heat in the shop.

I used to live in Kuwait and the summers there are unbelievable at the moment it is 61C in the sun and 53C in the shade. But they are really ready for it as everywhere has AC.

Just always taught me to drink often and drink plenty :D

My current* theory is that I had the etching pad too wet, and the oxygen released by the electrolytic breakdown of the water was reacting with the iron to form a layer of Fe3O4. I am going to have to play with it some more to see what works  

*Get it? “Current theory”?

Made the worlds ugliest little swage from a drop of some one inch plate.  Working alone a 6 lb sledge is a nice balance between striking “gently” on my 100 lb PW and one handed  use for cutting.

9/16 swage for tenons on a tommy bar for a bookbinders vise. 

Fun playing with ir thermometer 

CFEA015D-59DF-4B67-BE93-C4CD407D66F1.jpeg

38DF4F23-D48B-4CAA-810F-7342A0BDC5F7.jpeg

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Hey, nice work..  Can we get a picture of your forge?  Or is there one one here somewhere? 

Nothing fancy, really. Old portable foot-driven forge converted to electric use. I'll replace it immediately as soon I get two days free. But it has seerved well for 5 years - no bad feelings :)

1675935689_201807tuzhely.thumb.jpg.8a5fffdbe5b7dc716b317ea4c37664a7.jpg1672757133_201807tuzhely2.thumb.jpg.64ff6378f9d2475600eabb344cf80305.jpg

In the fire is a wine bottle holder I made three of.

Also some small things:

151351365_201807rovaskt.thumb.jpg.c6ea9db292edae3d28a80b0c501d976c.jpg916135040_201807szivek3.thumb.jpg.7a2447c63b472323279cd1fd2044165b.jpg

Bests:

Gergely