I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

On 8/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Gergely; will you do some in stainless for bathrooms?

That sounds like a plan,. Thomas. I really want to get oriented towards bathroom ironings and the only way to do so is using stainless. It's in the very early stages yet, and I'm still working on the how to aquire good passivation effect on 304 kind of steels after forging.

Bests:

Gergely

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gergely,  electric passivization is really great.. Do a tumbler then passivation. It's pretty amazing how clean and shiny the stainless comes out when this is done correctly.. 

Busting through the forge scale is the tough part.. Once this is removed or fractured enough to get under it stainless cleans up nice.. 

Sorry, but I don't have much information..   There is a bunch out there now vs 30 years ago.. 

I personally never used the system I had seen in use.. It was used to passivate stainless steel for ocean water immersion..  It was a large plastic container with a cathode and anode immersed in liquid..   He would tumble all the parts made... Then degrease and into the passivation tank..   I never was able to get him to share his secret formula as he passed away from cancer.. 

Back then I was using a pickling solution for welding stainless steel bands and such for scuba diving items and the guy who's shop it was I visited would have been a conflict as he also sold these kinds of items besides underwater lights and such.. 

I had a bunch of respect for him and his shop practices so never "stole" any of his ideas...  His electric system of passivation was pretty amazing..  It cut down on immersion time substantially.. 

The fluid he used was safe enough you could stick your hand in it unless the power was on... 

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

I pulled a good one yesterday. I was working on som horseshoe hinges. My anvil has a verry fat horn. So I built a horn from 3/4 quarter round mild steal. The taper still wasn't small enough so I worked it down. I rolled my ends, I then I went to pull the horn out of the anvil, yea still hot!!!  branded four fingers and my palm of my hand. 

Luckily like many of you I suspect my hands or verry leathered. I have some impression from the hamer marks on the tool but that all could have been much worse.   

Thank you Jennifer, John and Biggun! 

I try and learn more on the subject. This far somehow citric acid hasn't worked for me, maybe I did something wrong.

Oh and I cranked out 50 lucky horseshoes in spite of being away from the shop almost all day... Long days of summer have their bright side(s).

Bests:

Gergely

Dear Frosty, today's main program really was the sweating. Although as they say around here: a man from far away can tell anything he wants - so here's some pictures :)

Yesterday's and today's 90 horseshoes, luck I sure hope...

1279453625_201808patko90.thumb.jpg.c83981d416b9b16a3f95fae09688d965.jpg

Sundried hearts after vinegear bath:

1609723921_201808sziv40.thumb.jpg.174139311745ccf062a1159a1f8bd259.jpg

Bests:

Gergely

Hi,

So last weekend I did the scouts blacksmithing experience, it went really well the kids did really well and seemed to really enjoy it.

We did have to move under shelter as a big thunder storm hit mid way through but it didn't put the kids off.

It was interesting getting all the questions from the kids they seemed very interested in what the difference between the two anvils were and when I said absolutely none except one has the advantage of the horn.

Hopefully sparked the fire in some future smiths. :D

Luke

blurred face.jpg

blurred face 2.jpg

blurred face 3.jpg

blurred face 4.jpg

blurred face 5.jpg

20180804_100014.jpg

20180803_170146.jpg

Gergely: The pic of the hearts took me a couple seconds to adjust my perspective it looks like a stone engraving to me. Very nice hearts good proportions and lines, very attractive. 

Luke: The scout hammer in experience looked like a blast, nice herd(?) of snails. A little blacksmithing is as perfect a Boyscouting experience as comes down the pike. Well done!

Glamour Hammer Ben indeed. Not only are your hammers beautiful you know how to take pictures of them, actual honest to goodness photographs! It's hard to beat a light box for taking photos of reflective subjects. Excellent job on both counts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gergely, I’d like to know how you get that kind of consistency. Do you have a heart shaping jig?

Thanks Frosty. Its incredible the difference a light box makes. It worked so well that I’m going to take the time to make a good one instead of the cardboard box with wax paper taped to it. 

Attempted to make the melting furnaces mobile, partly because of lack of space and the possibility to roll out the ovens for quick and for safe use. Have the ovens placed on furniture rollers and an insulating layer of aerated concrete and stainless steel net and a cover of a fire-resistant blanket. I also mounted handles to pull the carts or push them in the positions where I need them. With this structure I think I have found a fast and user-friendly way to realize my casting projects.

DSC00627.JPG

DSC00628.JPG

DSC00629.JPG