I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Our 7 year old grand nephew visited and wanted to weld. 4 rail spikes and an engine harmonic absorber hub for a base and a cross was born. Charley did everthing from running the porta band to welding and grinding to putting beeswax on. We had fun!

20180728_164032-1.jpg

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/19/2018 at 7:34 AM, Daswulf said:

Naw, I have a bigger one. :) 

Thanks all. I'm really excited. Seems so far away yet if I blink it will be time.

Just half way through this thread, but thought I’d take the time to comment on this way-back post. 

My mother’s best friend says “the days are long, but the years are short.” So true. Mine are already five and two. 

As always, great to see all of the creativity displayed on this thread........

So much to do here - sometimes it seems like it is all staging, organizing and cleaning. Never Creating.  So far behind yesterday, and getting depressed about it all, as I have to leave for Santa Barbara for another three weeks today.

New stand for the fly press is months away from fabrication. I have "many" short pieces of Ø1" tool steel - Searched and searched, no luck, buried somewhere. Burning Daylight, becoming more flustered - I just want to swing that wheel a few time to get my groove back.

Just before sunset yesterday - one more ferocious push to to find ANYTHING Ø1" to shove up into the ram. Finally found one. Turned a bucket upside-down and took a seat. Started swinging that big wheel against some cold, convoluted Ø.156" (4mm) spring steel. Like Butter. Had to twist the press counter-clockwise a couple of times.  Got Some momentum back. Put in some more Unistrut, got the fly press tucked away.  

Sure am glad that I dragged two of those yellow industrial carts out of the dumpster - The 460# (209kg) press is ~ 15% back of the axle center line, so very easy to move up hill into the shop. 

We are wishing for everyone, including  ourselves, to have a good day!

Robert and Sheila Taylor                                                                        

20171003_125332.jpgResize.jpg

20180728_204106.jpgResize.jpg

20180728_210052.jpgResize.jpg

Of course the numbering system is different for each manufacturer.  My Hoskins #2 has a 42" wheel on it and sits about 7' tall on the factory stand...I'll not send it back either!.    I sourced some pharmaceutical punches that fit the tool holder on mine; S1 and S7.  I know others who buy bolts the proper size and then weld the working shapes to the end allowing the larger bolt head to span the hole and take the force rather than bottoming out in the tool holder.

Do not drop your electronic sketch pen on to the asphalt from a height of eight feet........

Thomas, my Famco #3 Rack & Pinion press has no tooling hole in the Rack, so I have been thinking along these lines for a while now:

20180729FlyPressDieCapture.png

If the head space on the section of rectangular tubing starts as a slip fit with the bolt head markings filed smooth, it should be a repeatable knock-on/knock-off affair.

Pharmaceutical Dies, eh?

Robert Taylor

PS: Probably should move this sketch over to the Fly Press Camp Verde Thread.

Edited by Anachronist58
Addendum

I know I'm a little late, but nice hammer ranchmanBen, we also drove through Clarendon a couple days ago on our way back from new mexico. I like the town alot.

Littleblacksmith 

you should try and take a trip to Matt Marti's sometime. He has the procces down good, he is very efficient and clean, he forges a hammer in about 30 minutes. I was there recently and it was a joy to watch and listen to all the little tips and trick he has to cut down on time. Yeah, I was wanting to stop but my parents said no, my dad says he wants to move to Clarendon. I would love it, I really really dont like college station.

Littleblacksmith 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:40 PM, SpankySmith said:

Playing with the scrap bucket contents today.  Spiders are fun, especially since I'm terrified of the real ones!

Spanky, wanted to say Nice work on these guys!  Great use of the scrap. The spider has a great stance to it. 

Cool piece 58er! Nice first! I have a roll of copper sheet and might have to give it a shot some day. What are you using for pitch and a pitch "bowl"?

5 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

How are you lighting it to switch over to oil?   Just drip ( Gravity feed vs pressurized) from the oil tank to the air tube? 

Shove some dead grass in, light it up, turn the blower on, turn the oil on (gravity drip feed)- WOOF! she's lit!

Takes about 20 mins to heat up from cold to forging temp.

The floor of george II (the forge) was metling yesterday, and it is made from 1600°c hard face refractory!

No need to get complicated. A big tube with the blast going in and a smaller copper tube shoved in at an angle so it dribbles oil into the air flow as it enters the furnace. The design failed initially because chips were clogging the ball valve. Filtering solved that and now she runs like a dream.