I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Some fantastic work being posted here the past couple of weeks. 

Unfortunately over here, there has been the strangest bright yellow glowing hot thing in the sky and it has brought an abrupt halt to anything mildly productive. 

Us natives are really confused by the lack of clouds and rain, and for myself the forge has remained locked while I am somehow drawn to sitting in the garden, manning the bbq almost every night, and protecting the country from an over abundance of cold beers. 

Hopefully get back to it soon. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

expecting 38 to 40 deg C for most of the next two months with only random thundershowers: work in the shade, HYDRATE!, work early and late---Old friend told me about rodeo'ing in Yuma Arizona and it starting at Midnight to get the heat down to 38 deg C

It's funny how we adapt to relative temperatures.

My wife is from Croatia, and 38C would have been normal. When she first moved to Ireland it was freezing all the time, even during our two days of 'summer' each year for her. 

Fast forward a few years, and we had a 'heatwave' of 24C. 

All of locals, plus herself outside sweating. Shorts, tshirts. Beautiful weather. 

During this 'heatwave', her mother came to visit to see our daughter for the first time. Every other person in the country is sweating, minimal clothing, enjoining the sun. 

My mother in law? Wooly cardigan, full length skirt, rubbing her arms in a shivering motion, complaining it's a bit cold.

We've had an enjoyable few weeks of 20 - 24 degrees. Rather humid, long hours of sun, and very very different to our usual climate this time of year! 

They say the Irish were once upon a time sun worshiping pagans... Even that was a part time job. 

I used the punch dies in my guillotine tool for the first time yesterday, they work great.  I made a handled hammer eye punch (punches making punches, kind of redundant).  Also made an eye drift, forge-welded a hammer together (mild body with high carbon faces), and tried making another eye punch out of a RR spike but it kind of failed. 

DSC_1664.JPG

This punch is made from flea market mystery steel, so who knows how well it will hold up.  From previous forgings with it, I think it's maybe a lower or mid carbon steel.  It does seem to harden in water, but not oil.  Tooling I've made with it before has been a bit soft, so we'll see. 

Went to an antique fair in a nearby town on Saturday, Picked up some hoof clippers cheap, $5 to $10 each.

Spent yesterday morning playing around converting them in to useful tongs. Probably would have taken as long to just make new tongs, but I had fun doing it.

5b144322242e7_clipperstotongs1.thumb.jpg.1dff118538cf0a26b6116797b7757263.jpg5b14431f48646_clipperstotongs2.thumb.jpg.8d38f0a402f8a21ae49dd1da7dbed15c.jpg

Since it’s Lisa’s birthday, I threw together a bouquet of calla lilies.

605E69AE-BEE2-4BDC-BCBC-BD26C9C02647.jpeg

(I’ll be honest: I’m not entirely happy with these. I really should have allowed more metal for the blooms, which are consequently a little undersized.)

Also hardened and tempered the Bowie knife. First time using a heat-treat pipe, first time using tempering tongs. Loved both. 

E504D573-FB57-49E3-B6D5-CBA543AD88C2.jpeg

Straight as an arrow; no warping or twisting. Progress!

(or luck.)

13 hours ago, JustAnotherViking said:

It's funny how we adapt to relative temperatures.

We've had an enjoyable few weeks of 20 - 24 degrees. Rather humid, long hours of sun, and very very different to our usual climate this time of year! 

First days of winter here and we have had three days of frost.

Frost is unknown in nearby Cairns, but here we are 3000 feet up and winter bites a little harder. Always get a clear day after frosty mornings though and it was close to 30 by lunchtime. Very pleasant in the forge today.

Cold down here too Darryl! Must have got to at least single digits for a few minutes this morning, and watching the blokes at work you would think it was Siberia!

Lucky we were doing steam trials so we had steam everywhere!

I thought i was like marilyn...

My wife thought i looked like i had flatulence issues...

20180601_145826.jpg

Yeah, Cairns gets down to 10 degrees and you guys think it's cold! When I got to work today the boys had already lit the forge for me. I thanked them for saving me some time, but they said they only did it to warm up their hands.

Good to catch up with you yesterday … I hope you will post some pics here when you have finished making those bicycles. The forge work in them is just outstanding. Perhaps even a video of the first test ride??

This is one of them with plywood circles, temporary, to get the dimensions right.

Took this one for a hobbyhorse style ride this arvo.

For those who dont know, this is one of four replica "boneshakers" or velocipedes, based on 1869 originals that i have been making for some australian bicycle collectors.

The predecessor of the ordinary (retrospectively nicknamed the penny farthing) the frames are forged from a single piece. The wooden wheels are made with hub, felloes, spokes and steel tyres, like a cartwheel.

20180603_160747.jpg

31959175_1904956192888332_6302567703165009920_o.jpg

The wheels off one of these bicycles can be seen in the foreground, leaning on an original 1869 frame.

The ordinary leaning on the ute is also for restoration

Thanks for posting these, Woody. The engineering in that spring seat is amazing. I like the leg rests out the front for coasting downhill when you have a fixed wheel.

I think we'll have to get the penny farthing off display at the Village and give it a test run too. I want an acre of grass before getting aboard that thing.

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Shift the vise over so the face of the fixed jaw is just over the edge of the base. that will allow you to clamp long pieces vertically

Interesting thought. I’ll see if I can make that work; in the mean time, vise-in-vise is a decent option. 

D60B5D7E-712A-49BF-B41B-22A9A38B0B8A.jpeg

I did a test today. Was happy with it and feeling good about being in the shop. Then I started to make a new handle for one of my hammers and my belt grinder's plastic or whatever drive wheel melted and ruined a brand new ceramic belt. Wasn't feeling so happy about being in the shop anymore, so I hung it up before my temper got the best of me.

But here is the test though.

https://youtu.be/0j4FoQp_jEU