• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, 58er said:

Antler lamp 

The lamp is just beautiful, what size material did you use. Also how did you do the texturing.

I got some more work done on my first commission. The stamping is all done and they are mounted, overall I am pretty happy with it just got some finishing work to do tomorrow and then the client is connecting them on Monday.

20180608_083949.jpg

This weekend keeps me busy with refurbishing a bunch of hammers, brushed them, coat them, and give them a new handle. Had to deal with some mushrooming on the boys and prepare my first French (2 ½ lbs) hammer I ever use.

Also wire brushed and linseed coated the 3 fire keeper tool sets and fit the fabric (water extinguisher) on them.

Last but not least, cast two new 6lbs ‘Fun’ anvils from brass and bronze (out of material stock now).

Ready to face the next busy week without my favourite occupation.

DSC00549.JPG

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00544.JPG

On 6/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, JHCC said:

Yes, a major flap disc session is on the agenda. 

GRINDING disk, John! A flap sander would take forever to break the corners enough to prevent deep bruising. I'm not saying take a grinding disk to the whole thing, just the parts that will benefit from the fast action. Unless you LIKE holding a disk grinder longer than necessary that is of course. :huh:

You're a busy man Hans, that's quite the bit of work you have there. Handling hammers correctly takes time to do right and the refurbishing looks good. One of these days I have to find or make a French pattern cross pein, like how they look and would like a chance to put some time in with one to see what I think.

How many little anvils have you cast now?

Frosty The Lucky.

Looking good there Hans..     I'll be putting out a video in the next few days on forging the forge side rake I like..  

The french pattern cross peen is looking a little strange to me..   Have I been mounting mine upside down? 

Last weekend I made of bunch of new friends.. I also was asked to forge up a hardie tool.. It was made from 1" mild steel and will have a HC face welded on.. Mid way I was told to use a different anvil which had a drop in the hardie hole.. It will be fixed with a set before welding the face on..  

Great work as always.. 

20180605_062914.jpg

20180605_062848.jpg

20180605_062755.jpg

Hi Frosty, till now I cast 7 of the little anvils (not counting the failures ;)) 3 of them I give away. Finally found a bronze source to (scrape pile of a company repairs pumps). Also many thanks for the useful tips about the mobile demo forge set up. Will build some table (crat) for exposition/storage purpose.

Will give it a try and take the post vice with me, trust on the ground anchors and heavy foot.

Hi Jennifer, will have a look at the French hammer head <_<. The hardy tool looks good, the real massive stuff! If I found some time this week will try to make some blacksmith/lady’s knives using your technics.

Cheers, and have a nice week. Hans  

6 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

The french pattern cross peen is looking a little strange to me..   Have I been mounting mine upside down?

Nope, Hans got his upside down.

It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me I realized what didn't seem quite right. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Mesdames et messieurs, comme indiqué, c'est mon premier marteau français. En fait, une erreur grave.

My lady and gentlemen, as indicated, this is my first French hammer. Actually a serious mistake. Will immediately put this right (the other way around). In the meantime I have also received a very good explanation for which the inlet has been considered above. Learned something again and provided some hillarity within IFI :D

Before you turn the head over on your hammer Hans, give it a try and see how you like it. If it's backwards but it works then it isn't backwards. Seriously, I like how it looks upsidedown better than rightside up. However, I've never use one either way and am going to put word out to the local guys to see if someone will bring one to a meeting so I can play with it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Das,

Great news.

Compressed gas stored in a home would void the household insurance policy.

But why are gas barbeques exempt from this "rule"? 

Because there are too many of them and an enormous number of people would be very upset. (in other words potential voters).

So they are "grandfathered" in.

Regards,

SLAG.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I have a lower shop id like to clean up and make into a show room that is not connected. 

Yep, showrooms need to be not connected. Show space too close to workshops are a fall out zone for all the grit and dust and stuff you don't want near your finished pieces. Wise move, Das.